Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 01:20 AM

23,876 posts, read 33,595,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I see, thanks for replying. That's why I asked where do you where most of your clothes as in to what kind of occasions MOSTLY, but you answered me well enough.

Actually, 4 to 5 pieces in every category doesn't sound like a lot at all. I personally have the most of the following types of clothing:

- sweaters - I have a thing for sweaters. I even started a thread here about them 2 yrs ago ( https://www.city-data.com/forum/fash...-sweaters.html ). I must have 2-5 in each color imaginable (in various styles), except for tans, beiges, or browns because I don't care for those colors, but even then, I think I have 1 in 1-2 of those colors. Unfortunately, where I live, it doesn't even get that cold in the winter season, which is a shame. I wish it would rain more. So, there was a time I started buying a lot of cardigans, so at least I could wear it open w/ a short-sleeved top underneath & not be stuck w/ a sweater on & nothing underneath because there were a couple or so autumns & winters in a row where it wasn't cold enough to wear a sweater on even ONE day.

- jeans - I have so many styles, regular ones, 6-8 pairs w/ various-colored striping down the sides of the legs, numerous colored jeans, etc. However, I never had 1 pair of ripped jeans because I don't like them. My fave style, which I think is most flattering is the bootcut in a dark wash in a stretchy denim.

- black tops - I love black, it's chic & slimming, so I must have 20+ different styles of black tops alone. I actually love grey too, so I have quite a few grey tops.

Then, there was a period of time when I wanted all kinds of hot pink-colored clothing, but it had to be the right styles to my liking of course, so I bought agood little amount, especially sweaters.

What about accessories? I love genuine leather bags & boots (from ankle to knee-high). I have some bags in several colors too, even pink, teal, a melon color, grape purple, etc.

A couple of types of shoes I've wanted for a long time were these & during a season here & there (pre-COVID), I was dilligently on the hunt:

- metallic silver shoes
- leopard-print shoes w/ the actual hair/fur

COVID though really seemed to change my feeling about fashion. It's (meaning fashion) not quite as important to me anymore. I always still take pride in how I look, but I'm just more comfortable, but not sloppy.

Back in 2009, I went nuts buying B Makowsky leather bags, most on sale, ebay plus a few select, harder to find colors like pink on QVC. I have black, pink, snakes, green, gray, taupe to name a few. I don't think he makes bags like he used to any more. My daughter used to collect his wife's brand purse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaysway View Post
A lot of women feel guilty spending money on themselves. A lot of women don’t like their bodies and hide them in unflattering clothes. A lot of women ignore their appearance because they feel ugly, and don’t believe they can feel beautiful. Many women are deeply insecure and that reflects both in the clothes they wear and how they shop.

Must a woman spend a lot on clothes? No. But that doesn’t negate the truth of what I’m saying.

Even from a pure practical standpoint, many women who limit themselves to the sale rack make impulsive purchasing decisions, spend money on clothes they don’t like, and still end up with a wardrobe that doesn’t fully work for them or make them feel their best.

The sales rack is, quite literally, the leftovers nobody wanted. Can you find amazing pieces on sale? Absolutely. But often people buy the wrong size or color because it’s on sale, and they make do. That’s not smart. It’s sacrificial.

Lots of great brands at all price points. No need to limit yourself to the sales rack just ‘cause.

I've bought leather bags on sale, also all of my London jeans from Victorias were bought on sale, so were all of my bras. I'm thankful I loaded up on the jeans, they're boot cut, some a larger leg, I don't do the tight ankle pants. VS stopped selling London jeans, I don't know what I'm going to do when I need more jeans, I need a 36 inseam.

I've never bought the wrong size or color on sale, I don't spend money that easily. It has to be what we want or we don't buy it.

My daughters high school clothes were all bought on sale or clearance. Aero, Pink, VS and a few places I can't recall the name. We still have hoodies I bought 15 years ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 11:13 AM

68 posts, read 45,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I'm a mid 40s guy.

I work from home, so don't really NEED new clothes, but I also did go up a size, though some stuff still fits.

So it's not too much, maybe $50-100 a month.

I also ask for clothes for Christmas so I get a few hundred dollars worth.

I did spend more when I was younger.

Like OP, I would like to buy some cool new clothes, but I find the choices for men in middle age to be limiting.

The choices are either Banana Republic/Brooks Brothersish, or Kohls or expensive Nordstrom/suits type duds.

It's difficult in middle age to try and present some style but not have it say ... 'I dress like a 28 year old.' or 'My clothes are really expensive.'

Adding some poundage doesn't help either.
My husband and a lot of his friends like Travis Matthew for casual clothes. Not sure what your style is.

Old 10-12-2022, 01:51 PM

12,785 posts, read 15,005,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Back in 2009, I went nuts buying B Makowsky leather bags, most on sale, ebay plus a few select, harder to find colors like pink on QVC. I have black, pink, snakes, green, gray, taupe to name a few. I don't think he makes bags like he used to any more. My daughter used to collect his wife's brand purse...

I remember that brand & bought 1-3 bags of that brand, I think. I'd have to count to be sure.

Had you ever known of the brand Liebeskind Berlin? I got several of them. They were nice as well & came in leather bags of different colors than what you noramlly see. But they paleyd out too...their site no longer seems to sell to the USA. Nordstrom & Nordstrom Rack then used to carry them, but it seems they're gone there too.

Aimee Kestenberg is another great brand you may like then! I have several of them too. She has her own site & sells on QVC.

Old 10-12-2022, 03:03 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,689,603 times
I tend to spend something in the ballpark of $100-300 about once a quarter, or else it's negligible (I can go a long while without really buying clothes.) But mainly it's because I have a credit card with revolving 5% cash back categories, so if Target is one of them during a given quarter, I might be excited to get in there and buy some stuff that I like from Target. Or if it's Amazon, or PayPal, I might shop online and get the cashback. I recently decided that since I am working from home indefinitely and there are days I don't even leave my apartment, I wanted a few more comfy house dresses. I bought 5 of them, online, with a sale code I got for being on a website's email list (I've bought stuff from them before.) 30% off the top, and 5% cash back. I'm more likely to shift my wardrobe for comfort reasons than fashion ones.

Old 10-12-2022, 03:17 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,106,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaysway View Post
My husband and a lot of his friends like Travis Matthew for casual clothes. Not sure what your style is.
Hey thanks for the rec.

It's on the pricey end, but I may be able to swing a few items.

I like the style.

Thanks.

Old 07-07-2023, 10:55 AM

10,909 posts, read 7,410,954 times
I sew, so spend money on fabric that might someday become clothing.

And I love thrifting clothes that can be refashioned into something me.

Old 07-10-2023, 05:33 PM

2,532 posts, read 1,868,682 times
Zero dollars. I haven't gone shopping in years.

Old 07-10-2023, 05:37 PM

22,606 posts, read 47,717,056 times
We spent ~$968 on clothing for the both of us in 2022.
So just over $80 a month for us together.

Old 07-10-2023, 07:03 PM

1,063 posts, read 912,217 times
"..... I am very curious what people spend each month on clothing, and where you shop."

i will assume you mean buying clothes and not maintaining them. so....

1. around $13 per month excluding gifts and charity.
2. thrift stores, online, and consignment.
3. during 2020-2022, it was ~ $2 per month.

Old 07-11-2023, 12:40 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,916,187 times
I do want to comment that rebuilding vs monthly spend to sustain/supplement is pretty different. I've had 2 different periods where I spent a lot of effort to overhaul or majorly refresh my wardrobe. I spent a lot more those years than normal.

In a normal year, my wife and I spend ~$300/month combined on new clothing when averaged over a year. This $ is spent on fewer items of higher quality and, where possible, we prioritize purchasing clothing that is made in the US. And if not the US, then places like the UK, Portugal, etc. As a result, this is not a high quantity of items, but a handful of quality items for each of us a year.

A few brands we have enjoyed the last several years: Imogen & Willie, Buck Mason, Rowing Blazers, Sisters of the Black Moon (RIP), Taylor Stitch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty