Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 10:19 AM

12,789 posts, read 15,024,412 times

Advertisements

I've posted here a few times already & I've loved clothing & shopping my whole life...still do. However, I honestly don't have to buy another article of clothing (nor jewelry, handbag, or sunglasses) for probably the rest of my life if I don't want to. Shoes wear out eventually so they need replacing. Nothing's going to rip up from wear & tear that much to where I'll have to buy all new clothing & I've been working remotely now for the last 9 yrs & I don't have to be on-camera that much to even have to throw on a nice top.

It's nice to not have to need clothing for work & I don't have to dress up fancy for anything. If I buy any clothing, jewelry, handbags, sunglasses now, it's just for a treat to myself, but I'm not spending $ on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 02:33 PM

988 posts, read 555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaysway View Post
I’ve been “rebuilding” - aka spending a lot of money - on my wardrobe after turning 40 and feeling a desire to shift my style.

Wearing athleisure non-stop as I work from home has also gotten old, so investing in new clothing has felt good. (Although I’ve been updating my workout wear as well.)

I’ve been spending about $1k a month and gave myself a year to to build a new set of high-quality basics for every facet of life. (For example I bought a few nice dresses I *adore* to have on hand so I don’t need to buy something just okay on short notice.)

That year is almost up and although I haven’t been as disciplined as I would have liked, good progress has been made.

After the year, I’d like to return to maybe $500 a month, which I feel is good to keep things updated and still enjoy a few new beautiful pieces. Clothing is a big creative outlet for me, and something I truly enjoy even though it also stresses me out because I can never find the things I want.

Finding new brands has been a big part of this process because mall brands just weren’t doing it for me. I used to buy a lot at Anthropologie but over time realized their clothes are actually poor quality and ill-fitting.

Ground rules: I skip fast fashion, however tempting, in favor of brands that are made in America when possible, or at the very least, not made in China.

I also favor organic / sustainable materials when possible because cheap clothing has many chemicals - including formaldehyde - that can cause cancer or disrupt hormones.

That said - I am very curious what people spend each month on clothing, and where you shop.

My favorite brands are Rouje, Sezane, Beyond Yoga, Joah Brown, Rails, Vuori, Auguste the Label and Reformation. I’ve also been eyeing Nation LTD though haven’t purchased anything yet.
$500.00 a month! What do you need monthly? I don't spend 500.00 a year on clothes. I spend about 100 to 150.00 for a good pair of shoes annually and then I may spend 20 to 60 once or twice a year for new pants and another 100 or so for t-shirts and tops. But then I have been working from home since 2016 (though when I went to the office I didn't dress up, but I did spend a little more on better clothes). I don't party or go out excep to eat and movies. I have an outfit for funerals and one for weddings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty