U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 02:23 PM

15,725 posts, read 10,286,686 times

Advertisements

The thread about fashion budgets has mentioned thrifting a few times, and I've often wondered how people do it. The times that I've tried, it always seems to require much more patience and fortitude than I possess. LOL

The thrift stores around me seem to organize clothing first by type (so separating tops from pants, from skirts, from jackets, from dresses, etc.) and within those categories by color. So I would literally have to go through each piece, one by one, determine if it's something I'm interested in, then find out if it's the right size (more often than not, it isn't).

Especially being plus size, it's frustrating to find something I like only to discover it's a size small.

It's really just such a game of chance with low odds. I'm not really the kind of person who hates shopping, but this just feels like so much wasted time.

What am I doing wrong?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 03:16 PM

27,893 posts, read 30,691,598 times
I like the idea of thrifting more than the reality of it. I don't like shopping enough to make a game of it. And usually when I do shop, I'm looking for something specific, like a pair of black pants to wear to work, or a sweater to make a specific outfit, that makes thrifting more difficult, since you're at the mercy of whatever's on the rack.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:36 PM

3,784 posts, read 1,864,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The thread about fashion budgets has mentioned thrifting a few times, and I've often wondered how people do it. The times that I've tried, it always seems to require much more patience and fortitude than I possess. LOL

The thrift stores around me seem to organize clothing first by type (so separating tops from pants, from skirts, from jackets, from dresses, etc.) and within those categories by color. So I would literally have to go through each piece, one by one, determine if it's something I'm interested in, then find out if it's the right size (more often than not, it isn't).

Especially being plus size, it's frustrating to find something I like only to discover it's a size small.

It's really just such a game of chance with low odds. I'm not really the kind of person who hates shopping, but this just feels like so much wasted time.

What am I doing wrong?
I don't know if you're doing anything wrong, per se. It just seems that it seems to be a toss up whether or not there is anything that will "work" when perusing the racks at thrift stores. To be honest, most of the time, I leave stores (both thrift and "regular" stores) empty-handed.

For me, it's dumb luck when I find something that is not only wearable (right size/fit), but is something that I think will suit my style. (Case in point: that black cashmere duster coat that I mentioned in the other thread here in F and B. Major score with that one!) With true vintage, trying on clothing is a must as the size six of yesteryear is often the size ten or twelve of today. Can't trust those numbers!

I've taken to buying all of my jeans second-hand as the selection is so much better at the typical thrift store than regular retail shops. One of my favorite brands is no longer available (the old Victoria's Secret London Jeans), so second hand stores are the only places that I can find them. Can't beat the prices, either, even with the newly inflated prices at most thrift shops. (I'm looking at you, Goodwill!)

For other things that I might like such as dresses that are too large on the top and/or the waist, but fit well for my lower half, I'm fortunate to have a mother who is an excellent seamstress. I can alter some things on my own, but she's far better at it than I. So taking the advice of What Not to Wear's Stacy London in terms of fitting the largest part of oneself, then seeing if the rest can be altered to fit works well for me.

To be fair, I'm lucky enough to have a shape and size that's a bit less challenging to fit (save my bottom), so the selection at most thrift stores is pretty good for me. I never trust the sizes at even the thrift stores that have clothing arranged by size as sometimes things get mixed up over the course of the day. There have been plenty of times when an article of clothing has caught my eye only to find when I take it from the rack that it's either too small or too large.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:37 AM

1,575 posts, read 701,058 times
I agree it's not very time efficient to delve through racks of clothes for something specific. The best approach to shopping in thrift stores is to go thrift shopping when you don't really need something but are in the mood to browse and if you see a great item, snatch it up even if you're not sure you'll wear it. For example, one outfit I have from thrift stores is white Michael Kors skinny leg jeans that I pair with a navy polka dot J. Crew blazer and a citron yellow Banana Republic cotton sweater. I remember when I bought the blazer, I wasn't sure about it because I tend to prefer solid jackets but it's become a key piece in my wardrobe. In other words, have an open mind and buy what you find not necessarily what you want.

I recently found a gorgeous brown Banana Republic merino wool sweater that I wouldn't have been able to afford in a retail store. I would not have chosen brown if I bought it in a retail store but I took it for the great price and quality. My general color scheme is gray and black but brown will be fine.

I'm lucky because I'm on the small size and there's usually a lot of choices. I also live in proximity to several thrift shops that get donations from higher income women so the clothing is usually pretty top quality. Not designers but there's a good amount of choices with labels like Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, J Crew, Chicos.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:28 AM

2,830 posts, read 1,067,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

What am I doing wrong?
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I think it's just that some people enjoy thrifting, and others just don't.

I enjoy going to thrift stores...so to me, it's not a chore. When I'm looking at tops, I tend to look at what appeals to me, and THEN look at the size. I'm like "Oh, that looks cute! What's the size?" Certain colors or patterns or whatever will appeal, and everything else doesn't, so it's a quick enough perusal. And since I'm looking for whatever jumps out at me, I don't pay attention to what rack it's on. Often enough, people don't put stuff back where it belongs, so I look in the smalls, mediums, larges, etc. Again...I'm looking for what looks cute, or what color appeals to me, and THEN I look at the size.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:50 PM

1,348 posts, read 1,957,236 times
I LOVE a good thrift if I'm in the mood. I have quite a few really cute summer dresses that I've purchased from Goodwill - and a few of my favorite tops come from there too. But you have to be in the mood and know that you're gonna pick through a lot of product. And even if you find something - inspect it CLOSELY because often there will be a grease stain or a small stain or hole that you don't notice because you're so excited to find something in your size!

Old 10-06-2022, 05:34 PM

6,861 posts, read 2,972,593 times
The only good thing I ever got (at Goodwill) was a London Fog tweed coat. $3. It was gorgeous!!! I wore it for a couple of winters and gave it to a friend when I left Colorado.

Old 10-06-2022, 09:50 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,092,538 times
Most of what I buy is aftermarket. I shop Poshmark, shopgoodwill, ebay.

I don't go to B&M thrift store as I find it too time consuming.

I do buy new clothing when marked down on-line, like Everlane or J Crew. My most expensive splurges are Birkenstocks from their website and Everlane items, shich are pretty pricey, but worth it.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:03 PM

5,485 posts, read 2,700,752 times
Many of the thrift stores I know of do have a separate plus-size section. I don't know if this is common to specific chains, or specific regions, etc., though.

I agree that it can be a crap-shoot. If I'm looking for something very specific ("I want a white v-neck long-sleeved t-shirt"), I have to be prepared to possibly have to look for a while-- which means it's probably not an activity for if I need the something very specific right away. (Then again, I can have the same problem with regular stores.)

The good thing about thrift-store clothing shopping is that you're not limited to whatever is "in style" right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
And since I'm looking for whatever jumps out at me, I don't pay attention to what rack it's on. Often enough, people don't put stuff back where it belongs, so I look in the smalls, mediums, larges, etc.
Yup. I found one of my favorite pairs of pants in the maternity section--- nope, they're not even remotely maternity pants (and I don't usually even look at the maternity section, but IIRC in this case I was walking past and a second after thinking "those are cute," I noticed they weren't maternity pants...)

Old 10-07-2022, 06:25 AM

45,861 posts, read 57,221,642 times
Today, I’m hitting some consignment shops in Hilton Head. I’ve never gone to the clothing ones, but supposedly there are 2 upscale clothing shops on the list for today.

I never go to places like Goodwill. It gives me the creeps, it smells, and I doubt that I’d have the patience to find much that fits me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty