Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:44 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Rosacea is genetic, and it does get worse. My Father has it, as did his Mother, and my two sisters and I both have it, to varying degrees.

I came to the Forum and asked about treatments, and two that have helped me considerably included an organic glycerin soap with aloe in it, and a moisturizing lotion with seabuckthorn oil, made from the plant. I purchased them both at Whole Foods. Someone also suggested taking aloe tablets, available at WalMart, but I haven't been to my DR yet to verify that taking it would be OK for me -- I take some other medications for my heart and GERD.

The dermatologist had been prescribing doxycycline but the PCP raised some concerns with taking it too routinely. I use two lotions for which I have a prescription, and see considerable difference with them. One is a topical antibiotic/sulfur lotion with a sunscreen in it that I use during the day, and at night, I apply the Finacea gel (azaleaic acid).

Keep the sun off your skin. I wear a hat always during the summer months. Try not to overheat, which is hard for me as I enjoy working in my yard, and drink plenty of water. You will see much more of the flushing and redness as you approach menopause, but I saw some improvement when I was done with menopause, too. I am 53, and have had rosacea since I turned 40. For the longest time, I thought I was wind-burned or something.

Good luck. It is the MOST frustrating thing, and I hate it. Ironically, as a young woman I had the most beautiful skin, and that makes it all the more difficult to deal with, I think.
You aint kiddin about it worsening during meno. Im 49 and heading
into that territory. Its bad enough with out this stuff flaring up
worse. Oh joy.

Greenchili
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 06:09 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
You aint kiddin about it worsening during meno. Im 49 and heading
into that territory. Its bad enough with out this stuff flaring up
worse. Oh joy.

Greenchili

So sorry Greenchili. Try washing your face with cool water and try a cleanser with aloe in it. There are some makeup remedies that you apply prior to your foundation that are yellow-tinted to minimize the redness in the skin. They help, if you choose to wear foundation.

The two prescriptions help me quite a bit, and I really like this moisturizer I found quite a bit. It's organic, made by Aubrey, and is a moisturizer with seabuckthorn oil in it. I also bought a small bottle of just seabuckthorn oil, and put a bit more into the moisturizer. I see a lot of difference in my skin these days.

One of the prescriptions has sulfur in it, and a sunscreen -- so important to keep the sun off your face. The other is the acidic gel that takes dead skin off the face. Sometimes, I have to cut back on these two meds as they also dry my skin. I never had dry skin before in my entire life.

Maybe you won't have too bad of a time with menopause. I went through earlier than most women, and with the exception of the night sweats, I managed to get through the hot flashes okay. Wear light clothing! You may never need a sweater again in your life.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:59 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,767 times
I have had rosacea for years. Tried the antibiotics oral & creams with minimal results. A few years ago I started using a detergent free rosehip cleanser, vit c & ferulic, a copper cream & emu oil. My skin is sooo much clearer & I rarely have any rosacea symptoms. My nose will get red if I spend too much time in the sun (with sunscreen) but it subsides quickly.
Good Luck!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:06 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times
Very interesting.

BTW, I read an article which talked about what cause of the disease. It's not caused by bacteria, though some antibiotics help to inhibit the enzymes that cause rosacea.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:26 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
I have had rosacea for years. Tried the antibiotics oral & creams with minimal results. A few years ago I started using a detergent free rosehip cleanser, vit c & ferulic, a copper cream & emu oil. My skin is sooo much clearer & I rarely have any rosacea symptoms. My nose will get red if I spend too much time in the sun (with sunscreen) but it subsides quickly.
Good Luck!
Where did you get these items? Online?
Thanks
Greenchili

Old 06-02-2008, 09:46 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Where did you get these items? Online?
Thanks
Greenchili
The cleanser & copper products I purchase thru a website..diana yvonne dot com(I don't know if i can post the name but i'll give it a try, if not pm me..) they also offer samples to try (u can try the emu oil from there too) The vit C product is from Skincueticals. Mandelic Acid helps too. it took me years to find these products. I tried the metrogels, etc but nothing seemed to work until I switched to these products.
Hope this helps!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,868 times
Default Dont fret-look at it as it is

I broke out with cystic acne-the one really bad with postules-back in 2002 got married-the biggest wrong decision of my entire life-my dermatologist put me on antibiotics acne was treated and then he said to me that I had developed what they call "rosacea" I started noticing flushed red patches on my cheeks and chin-with acne flare-outs in 2005 2006 and 2007 and 2008. Now it is 2009 and I am no longer on antibiotics my body developed a non-resistance to the antibiotics-it has affected me I do see the rosacea under my skin-and it sucks because I cant go to work without any makeup and I wish I could just take a shower one Saturday morning and go thru day without anything on my face--I have gone thru just about everything overcounter except ProActiv-would not dare irritate more my skin----but guess what my mom bought me AVON's clearskin professional Acne Treatment System contents: clearskin professional deep pore cleansing scrub, clarifying toner pads, and dialy correcting lotion. I am faithfully trying this product now on my face and I no longer worry about it-just allowing the product to do its job. I am greatful that the person in my life doesnt mind it--he is the only that has seen me without any makeup-and I know how horrible you may feel- i share the same feeling-also...what helps me is to simply do cold washes with cotton swabs gently cleaning your face with it and nothing else and taking showers and applying scrub gently 2-3 times a week (dont overdo and scrub and irritate your rosacae and or acne any more. and also just dont think about it....at work my co-workers are ok with it...and i feel good about myself....there are one or two that will make a helping comment but no one really helps you.....i am now a realist about....i have accepted it....because it does not go away...you just have to live with it...i was back then 32 and now i am just 38......and i am ok with...i would love to one day wake up and it would be all gone....but what do you.....researches dont know what causes....it is just bacteria.
So, head up dont fret and hopefully this may work for you, too.
Also go to your local grocery store and or department store and buy
OLAY regeneris Olay regenerist cleanser it is a black and pink bottle-use it very gently maybe 1-2 times a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty