Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 09:24 PM

457 posts, read 219,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
One thing you could try:

Call up the salon and ask for the creative director, or even stop by in person.

Tell them you're thinking of a major change, and ask if perhaps you could speak to someone for a few minutes about it, and ask politely if the creative director himself/herself is the best person, of if they recommend the designer. A good salon won't mind talking to you.
Thanks for the suggestion. This seems to be the way to go. I have wondered if these places accept walk-ins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 06:33 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
You may be better with a barber shop. They cut more male hair then anyone.

I also suggest finding a local Facebook group to ask for a recommendation to a salon that is good with changing haircuts/ styles.

Old 01-03-2023, 04:19 PM

401 posts, read 275,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navage8214 View Post
I normally go to Great Clips or the like (and I'm a guy) so please forgive my ignorance. I'm used to going in and telling them how much to take off and then they do it.

Thought I would go to a "higher end" hair salon and get recommendations for a new hairstyle. Not quite sure what I want, but thought I would try something completely different than my currently bland hairstyle. Looking to get some suggestions from a professional on what options would look good on me.

Is this something I could expect at this type of place? Looking at a local salon, there are different options for haircuts that are ranked from designer to senior creative director. A senior creative director is about $20 more than a designer. Is there an advantage to going to a creative director over a designer when it comes to recommendations? Or would that be overkill for a guy and I should just go to the designer?
As a female, I've been to hauty tawty hair salons when I was young and dumb and paid extra for "creative stylists" and gotten the same hair cut that I did from the ones below them...

Old 03-04-2023, 07:00 AM

457 posts, read 219,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYa80s View Post
As a female, I've been to hauty tawty hair salons when I was young and dumb and paid extra for "creative stylists" and gotten the same hair cut that I did from the ones below them...
Ha! I know the feeling.

Old 03-04-2023, 07:38 AM

36,413 posts, read 16,022,206 times
Quote:
Ha! I know the feeling.
I think that's a great h/c you showed and as a former hairdresser don't think it would be that hard to achieve with a good cutter. Some hairdressers are great cutters and some are great with Color and styling would apply to either.

Old 03-06-2023, 05:54 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
In my experience, most high end salons employee stylists who know their stuff, especially if they attend continuing education workshops. That said, what they think might look good on you or work with your hair may not be what YOU want. Find pictures of a cut you'd like so you can discuss if the style would work with your hair.

What I've always done is find the best salon in town, the one with the best reputation and book a cut with the 'junior stylist.' (their fee is usually way less than someone who's been there for years). There's a certain level of skill the more expensive places require, in my experience. I did that when I moved here to VT and have been with that stylist ever since. Of course, her fee has gotten pretty high over the years, but I am assured a great cut.

Old 03-07-2023, 01:58 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
I normally go to Great Clips or the like (and I'm a guy) so please forgive my ignorance. I'm used to going in and telling them how much to take off and then they do it.

Thought I would go to a "higher end" hair salon and get recommendations for a new hairstyle. Not quite sure what I want, but thought I would try something completely different than my currently bland hairstyle. Looking to get some suggestions from a professional on what options would look good on me.

Is this something I could expect at this type of place? Looking at a local salon, there are different options for haircuts that are ranked from designer to senior creative director. A senior creative director is about $20 more than a designer. Is there an advantage to going to a creative director over a designer when it comes to recommendations? Or would that be overkill for a guy and I should just go to the designer?
Title, mostly. Some people get creative with their titles To charge more.

Old 03-07-2023, 03:48 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
If you want good men's haircuts, go to a BARBER SHOP - the kind with a stripy pole outside and old barbers named things like ”Joe” and ”Phil”. They cut hair all day long and their objective is to make the customer's haircut look good, not to get their artistic jollies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty