Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,392 times

Advertisements

Okay I was born in 1954 and was raised in and have spent my entire life in Minneapolis Minnesota and one thing I remember about the 1980s was that full length Fox fur coats were huge in style. I remember in the early 1980s seeing ads on tv and in the newspaper of women wearing full length Fox fur coats and I would also see women on the streets wearing them and a few women from my office that I worked with had them and I was so jealous of them. I remember back in 1983 my mom got a full length silver Fox fur coat and then in 1984 my sister got a full length shadow Fox fur coat for her birthday and then I remember come December I went with my mom and my sister to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and out of the three of them I was the only woman without a fur coat. I remember standing in line in a sea of full length foxes, minks, sables and lynx’s and I remember hating being stuck in my cloth coat in a crowd of women in beautiful furs. After that I was determined to get a full length Fox fur coat by next Christmas so I saved up as much money as possible and reached into my savings and I took my husband with me to several fur coat stores and I tried on like a 100 full length Fox fur coats until I found the perfect full length golden island Fox fur coat. My husband agreed to help me pay for it and we were able to get it on a monthly payment plan and we were able to buy it and I got it as an early Christmas present and I will never forget the feeling of joy I had saying goodbye fo my cloth coat and hello to my beautiful full length golden island Fox fur coat. I will never forget my sister’s jaw dropping when she saw my coat and then she became the one jealous of my fur. It also felt so good going to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra the next year with my mom and sister and three of us all going decked out in our full length Fox fur coats. I remember wearing the coat so much to work and to as many possible places. I just loved wearing that coat so much and I haven’t been able to wear it since like 2009 since full length Fox fur coats have gone completely out of style. I honestly wish I had a time machine so I could go back to 1986 and wear my full length golden island Fox fur coat on the streets of Minneapolis once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 04:08 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
I remember my mom had "full length" gray leather coat with a huge silver fox fur collar. OMG, it was sooooo soft and luxurious - i just wanted to pet it!

I know it's a bad thing and I don't want to think about the pain suffered...though they are truly the warmest thing (think all the Russians wearing real fur hats and coats) and just feel wonderful.

Old 01-25-2023, 06:30 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Remember? Yes. Miss? Nope.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:39 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
OH NO what animals are still going through today for fashion,, makes me sick..

Old 01-25-2023, 08:46 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEMN54 View Post
Okay I was born in 1954 and was raised in and have spent my entire life in Minneapolis Minnesota and one thing I remember about the 1980s was that full length Fox fur coats were huge in style. I remember in the early 1980s seeing ads on tv and in the newspaper of women wearing full length Fox fur coats and I would also see women on the streets wearing them and a few women from my office that I worked with had them and I was so jealous of them. I remember back in 1983 my mom got a full length silver Fox fur coat and then in 1984 my sister got a full length shadow Fox fur coat for her birthday and then I remember come December I went with my mom and my sister to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and out of the three of them I was the only woman without a fur coat. I remember standing in line in a sea of full length foxes, minks, sables and lynx’s and I remember hating being stuck in my cloth coat in a crowd of women in beautiful furs. After that I was determined to get a full length Fox fur coat by next Christmas so I saved up as much money as possible and reached into my savings and I took my husband with me to several fur coat stores and I tried on like a 100 full length Fox fur coats until I found the perfect full length golden island Fox fur coat. My husband agreed to help me pay for it and we were able to get it on a monthly payment plan and we were able to buy it and I got it as an early Christmas present and I will never forget the feeling of joy I had saying goodbye fo my cloth coat and hello to my beautiful full length golden island Fox fur coat. I will never forget my sister’s jaw dropping when she saw my coat and then she became the one jealous of my fur. It also felt so good going to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra the next year with my mom and sister and three of us all going decked out in our full length Fox fur coats. I remember wearing the coat so much to work and to as many possible places. I just loved wearing that coat so much and I haven’t been able to wear it since like 2009 since full length Fox fur coats have gone completely out of style. I honestly wish I had a time machine so I could go back to 1986 and wear my full length golden island Fox fur coat on the streets of Minneapolis once again.
Pro tip: you can still get full-length fox coats, mink coats, various length coats in a variety of furs, some very artistically designed (to make the best use of the fur's natural patterns) at used fur shops, used "estate" jewerly-and-fur shops, at insane bargain prices. The prices are so good, that Japanese and Russian buyers invade these shops from time to time, and take loads of them home. Entire tour groups from those countries swarm these shops periodically. It's time you got in on the bonanza, OP. Google is your friend. Do a search to see if there's one in the nearest major city to you, or in your state.

Old 01-25-2023, 11:35 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
My mother bought the most exquisite fur in the 70’s. So well made and so warm.

And so fake. It was not cheap. She took excellent care of it and it lasted for years. She did eventually tell people it wasn’t real.

Old 01-28-2023, 01:00 PM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
This is the OP first post.

Old 02-27-2023, 04:25 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I still have a couple of full length fur coats and one jacket. But I live now in Texas and have no opportunity to wear them.

Old 02-27-2023, 04:38 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Pro tip: you can still get full-length fox coats, mink coats, various length coats in a variety of furs, some very artistically designed (to make the best use of the fur's natural patterns) at used fur shops, used "estate" jewerly-and-fur shops, at insane bargain prices. The prices are so good, that Japanese and Russian buyers invade these shops from time to time, and take loads of them home. Entire tour groups from those countries swarm these shops periodically. It's time you got in on the bonanza, OP. Google is your friend. Do a search to see if there's one in the nearest major city to you, or in your state.
You still can buy NEW fur coats at luxury US stores:
like Heniq Furs, Overland, FurHatWorld, FurSource, even Amazon.

Furs are fairly cheap in Russia and Eastern Europe. I doubt they would "swarm" US used clothing stores, to buy "loads" of second hand furs.

Old 02-27-2023, 11:25 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
My Great Aunt had fur coats. She gave me one that was a reversible black leather and raccoon fur jacket. It was a pretty nice looking coat and all, but I couldn't wear it. When I lived in Iowa, we had real winters there and even then, even at well below zero on a frigid winter night, it was so warm it made me sweat. I had later moved to Olympia, WA and I wouldn't have dreamed of wearing animal fur in such a liberal place. Someone would have probably attacked me. To say nothing of the weather there...constant rain, no extreme cold...

And in all honesty, I'm not a huge fan of the idea of the fur trade, either.

So when my Aunt was in her final stages of dementia and in a home, and they were going to do an estate sale to liquidate her remaining stuff, and I was asked to fly out and go through her condo and take "whatever I wanted" (which was mostly photo albums and things that might have held sentimental meaning to the family) I actually took the coat back with me and hung it and left it in her closet. Figured it could be part of what was sold.

I had looked online and did not find a good way to sell it myself at the time, didn't feel like dealing with Ebay, and I'd also read that if you own furs you really need to put some effort into storing them in some particular kind of extremely careful way to keep them in good condition...and I kinda felt like the sooner it was out of my hands, the better. For it to retain value, and be owned by someone who could care for it appropriately and actually wear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty