Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 06:33 AM

377 posts, read 274,972 times

Advertisements

My company asked me to represent them at a college career fair and wear a dress shirt with a "jacket". All I'm used to wearing is a suit and tie type jacket outside of work. I don't even know what type of jacket I should wear, but I assume that it would not be the type that comes with a full suit? I'm guessing blazer or sport jacket or something??? I'm clueless and don't want to seem clueless by asking work or showing up wearing something that looks off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 07:05 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,683,589 times
Well, if you're a guy, you're being asked to wear a blazer or sport coat (the two things aren't identical) with slacks and a dress shirt, no tie required.

Were it me, old preppy that I am, I'd wear a blue blazer grey or tan pants a white Oxford cloth shirt (PRESSED!) and shined shoes. Old preppy that I am, I'd probably wear a tie, too, since I'm representing my company in a public forum.

In ascending order of formality:

Sport coat, slacks, no tie
Blazer, slacks, no tie
Sport coat, slacks, tie
Blazer, slacks, tie
Business suit (wearing a business suit with no tie just makes you look like the guy who stopped off after work and had a couple too many at the pub)

We'll leave "black tie", "white tie", "morning coat", etc. for now.

And this, boys, is why just going ahead and investing in an appropriate men's wardrobe of preppy attire will never leave you high and dry and wondering "what the hell do I do NOW?" Personally I think every man needs to own at least one good suit, one good sportcoat/slacks rig, one good blazer, five or six good ties, a pair of good black dress shoes (not uber-dress, ordinary wingtips will do).

Old 02-01-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, if you're a guy, you're being asked to wear a blazer or sport coat (the two things aren't identical) with slacks and a dress shirt, no tie required.

Were it me, old preppy that I am, I'd wear a blue blazer grey or tan pants a white Oxford cloth shirt (PRESSED!) and shined shoes. Old preppy that I am, I'd probably wear a tie, too, since I'm representing my company in a public forum.

Blazer, slacks, no tie
Sport coat, slacks, tie
Blazer, slacks, tie
Business suit (wearing a business suit with no tie just makes you look like the guy who stopped off after work and had a couple too many at the pub)

And this, boys, is why just going ahead and investing in an appropriate men's wardrobe of preppy attire will never leave you high and dry and wondering "what the hell do I do NOW?" Personally I think every man needs to own at least one good suit, one good sportcoat/slacks rig, one good blazer, five or six good ties, a pair of good black dress shoes (not uber-dress, ordinary wingtips will do).
Thanks! It would be less preppy for me as the position being recruited for is in the engineering/construction field.

Old 02-01-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post

Blazer, slacks, no tie
Sport coat, slacks, tie
Blazer, slacks, tie

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-55...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

What color and what do you think of this one? I'm thinking charcoal or black. Doesn't need to be a preppy look.

I also really like this one.
https://www.menswearhouse.com/p/jose...RoCAigQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Durpie22; 02-01-2023 at 03:26 PM..

Old 02-01-2023, 03:03 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Wear a (matching) suit. Navy blue is nice.

Old 02-01-2023, 03:12 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Wear a (matching) suit. Navy blue is nice.
OP was told not to wear a suit, so he's following directions.

Old 02-01-2023, 04:48 PM

1,063 posts, read 909,691 times
does your company have a "company" jacket?
you know, with an imprinted name on the
front (not the back. first impression counts).

Old 02-01-2023, 05:01 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
Honestly, I would ask. I would think sport coat. It depends on your budget and shopping in your area. You could probably get someone at the store to help you if you go to places like Dillard's, Men's Warehouse, Jos A Banks, etc.

Looks like LandsEnd has some on sale right now.

Old 02-02-2023, 06:28 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
What Sarahsez (sorry, couldn't resist).

Go to a place that sells men's clothing. A knowledgeable sales person will steer you towards a sports jacket that is higher quality, fits well, looks good on you, and will last for years. This might not be the last time you need a sports jacket.

You will definitely want to keep away from a cheap jacket that will probably lose all form after the first dry-cleaning. And you definitely don't want to be at a job fair representing your company while wearing something that looks like a potato sack.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:22 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
OP was told not to wear a suit, so he's following directions.
I know. My opinion is that a suit would be just a nice - elevated professional.
And I don't think he was told 'not to wear a suit;' he was told to wear a 'dress shirt with a jacket.'
At any event where I was representing my organization, I always wore a suit. A nice suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty