Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 04:56 PM

1,204 posts, read 934,816 times

Advertisements

Ha, ok, thanks to all your responses the closets of the eighties are becoming clearer in my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2023, 07:58 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
OP, if they still fit, why not just wear them yourself?

Old 04-23-2023, 08:05 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Also, vests, big boxy jackets (for women) oversized shirts for men, "Hammer" pants, Laura Ashley floral prints, the "outer space" look in suits, etc. Fashion ran the gamut back then. Some of the more spectacular items might be worth a little something. Average stuff ..... maybe not so much. But as others have said, quality was very good back then, especially in the retro "throwback" 1950's style dresses from the 80s in high quality polished cotton.

Old 04-23-2023, 08:08 PM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
OP, if they still fit, why not just wear them yourself?
They don't still fit me and, even if they did, they aren't something that I would have any reason to wear now.
I mean, what function would a 57 year old woman ever wear her HS prom gown to?

The Forenza sweaters I probably could still wear. But I haven't pulled them out of my closet in over 35 years so I doubt I'll wear them unless an 80's party comes up or something.

Old 04-24-2023, 07:42 AM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Also, vests, big boxy jackets (for women) oversized shirts for men, "Hammer" pants, Laura Ashley floral prints, the "outer space" look in suits, etc. Fashion ran the gamut back then. Some of the more spectacular items might be worth a little something. Average stuff ..... maybe not so much. But as others have said, quality was very good back then, especially in the retro "throwback" 1950's style dresses from the 80s in high quality polished cotton.
Oh yes, the "space" look, clothes with lots of zippers on them, tapered jeans with zippers at the back of the ankles, and the Don Johnson inspired Miami Vice men's look of the white t-shirt under the blazer with the sleeves pushed up, lol.

Old 04-24-2023, 09:20 AM

778 posts, read 505,415 times
I have probably a dozen leather coats and jackets that I've bought, most of them in the '70s and '80s. Some sport coats, dress jackets, and moto jackets. Some I bought new, some used from second-hand stores. There used to be a great second-hand motorcycle gear store near me that I was a regular in and found many interesting items there.

Old 04-24-2023, 11:42 AM

92 posts, read 58,207 times
Have you seen what gets sold on Etsy lately? 80's Tshirts go for $100 a piece. It needs to be 'ugly cute' or 'ironic' to go for that much. I wish I'd kept all my dumb **** from childhood.

Old 04-24-2023, 07:11 PM

1,702 posts, read 782,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I just discovered that I have some clothes from the 80's stored neatly in one of my closets. And that includes a prom dress from back in the day. It's a little faded but it doesn't look 40 years old.

Is it worth my time to try to sell these items or is that going to be a waste of time? Asking those of you who have tried that.
Outside of the fashion designers on the set of Stranger Things, not a whole lot of demand for 80s fashion. At least not here in H-town, anyway. That era hasn’t seemed to have cycled back among kids yet. The only exception, I’ve noticed, was the high top fade which was somewhat hot a few years ago.

Stop by your local resale store and see what you can get for it, maybe you’ll get lucky.

Old 04-24-2023, 08:52 PM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
Outside of the fashion designers on the set of Stranger Things, not a whole lot of demand for 80s fashion. At least not here in H-town, anyway. That era hasn’t seemed to have cycled back among kids yet. The only exception, I’ve noticed, was the high top fade which was somewhat hot a few years ago.

Stop by your local resale store and see what you can get for it, maybe you’ll get lucky.
I'll probably try to list them on one of the sites and see if I get any takers.

It's possible to get a prom dress in a current style for under 100 bucks now. So if I do sell one of my vintage dresses, it'll probably be for cheap. Same with the sweaters. That's o.k. I just want the closet cleaned out.

I suppose there's always Goodwill if push comes to shove.

Old 04-24-2023, 09:49 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Wise choice springfieldva Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Some people are going to want those vintage things whether you offer them for sale online and get money for some of them or if you give the rejects away free to Good Will, they will be well received if they are still in presentable condition.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty