Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 10:00 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yeah, but if he's committed to removing body hair every 3 days, what's his time worth?
I don't know what anybody's time would be worth to them because time is uniquely subjective for each individual. A person's time and money might be worthless, of no value, to somebody else but still be a precious luxury to many other individuals whose time and money is being taken up or needlessly wasted.

I think it's likely that less time and money would be expended for a capable person to do their own hair removal their self at home than the amount of time and money that would be required to be expended to go have it done professionally by somebody else. But an incapable person might not have any choice in the matter if they absolutely must have the hair removed.

In this case the OP is the only one that can determine what his time and his money is worth to him. Nobody else is in a position to make that determination for him.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 04:16 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Clipper on 0 or 1 first, then lather up and go slow.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:17 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I feel unless you are a body builder what's the need to shave everything below the neck? Are you very hairy and just don't like the looks of it?

Old 05-09-2023, 10:36 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I feel unless you are a body builder what's the need to shave everything below the neck? Are you very hairy and just don't like the looks of it?

In defense of the OP I have to say I feel that asking personal questions like that are uncouth and offensive and shouldn't be asked since they're nobody else's business. The OP simply asked for advice about shaving his body hair with a disposable razor. All other suggestions, personal opinions and questions unrelated to the OP's topic are irrelevant.

Old 05-09-2023, 02:52 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
It's super simple. Good quality shaving cream and a good razor. Go slow

Old 05-09-2023, 03:47 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Does that matter?
Will it change your recommendation? What DO you advise him?

Old 05-09-2023, 05:12 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
If you trim the bushes, it makes the tree look taller!

Old 05-09-2023, 07:48 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
It's super simple. Good quality shaving cream and a good razor. Go slow
Since the OP asked about using a razor, I agree with this. Short strokes. I'm a hairdresser/esthetician, btw.

To prepare, take a hot shower/bath first so the skin is moist & the pores are open. Use a decent OTC moisturizer after you've shaved to prevent dryness as you've exfoliated the top layer of skin. Eucerine, Neutrogena, CeraVe, Kiel's, Vanacream are all good choices & they contain no fragrance & low alcohol so your skin won't burn. Even supermarkets have good quality products today, but most products will be cheaper at Target or some pharmacy-type stores like Walgreens... you'll have to check in your area.

After shaving, your skin is now completely exposed, so even if you never use sunscreen, please use it, as the hair might have offered protection from the sun you won't have now (like if you shaved your head).

Depending on how long, dense, wavy, course or thick each hair is, you may need to use more than 1 disposable razor, if you're shaving the entire body. For example, around the "delicate areas", you want a nice, sharp, clean, new blade, so use the razor then don't keep it as it's dull... if used on other areas afterwards, it may tug the hair or the dull blade may cut the skin.

Lastly, if you haven't done this before, perhaps do a test area, like one leg from the knee down to see how you fare.

I listed a few good body creams above. A few good shave creams are:
Cremo, Harry's, Aveno. Even Edge is thick & protective, if you don't mind the scent.

Here's a Men's Health article. They have good grooming tips... some recommendations are pricey (the prices are in the article), but a bath first, good, thick shaving cream & post shave moisturizer will be your saving grace. GQ, which is also available for free online has a good shaving column.

https://www.mensjournal.com/style/be...reams-men-2023

https://www.gq.com/grooming

Lastly, there are some brilliant barbers on YTube who offer tips. My computer crashed not long ago & I lost all my links, so I don't follow them anymore, but search around & you'll find one to your liking. Barbers will give you the best tips & info, hands down.

Good luck. Let us know how it worked for you.

ETA: Forgot to mention, shave in the direction the hair goes, not against the grain, so to speak. That may be the issue you had with clippers, that you shaved against the grain & you got an ingrown hair or clogged the pore with bacteria.

So, should you use your clippers again, unplug them & pour alcohol over the blade, then turn it on to "work out" all the pieces of hair that might have lodged inside. Should you ever use a razor blade again (don't recommend it, but...) pour alcohol over it before using, as well.

You might be able to return to using your clippers (are they clippers with multiple guards or trimmers like you'd use on a beard?) if you follow the above... it will be easier & faster. Once again, test shave/clip one area, then wait a day to see how it reacts.

Last edited by A.Typical.Girl; 05-09-2023 at 08:05 PM..

Old 05-09-2023, 10:26 PM

652 posts, read 520,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post

ETA: Forgot to mention, shave in the direction the hair goes, not against the grain, so to speak. That may be the issue you had with clippers, that you shaved against the grain & you got an ingrown hair or clogged the pore with bacteria.

When I shave in the direction my hair grows, I don't get a smooth shave. I'm somewhat of a bodybuilder so I shave for the purpose of seeing my gains. Thanks for your feedback. I will come back to the rest of your post.

Old 05-10-2023, 08:00 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Go for the 5 blade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty