Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 10:30 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I just got an email from AARP: "5 Fashion Trends to Get You Set for a Stylish Fall 2023 Season - These clothes will help you shine."

Wide-legged pleated slacks, and a velour top that cuts off at the waist?? I'm trying to look thinner, not fatter! I didn't even wear things like that when I was skinny!
Exactly. The trends that are current are for women in their teens into their 30's. No one over 40's going to want cropped, boxy, baggy tops paired with wide-legged pants with narrow hips. I mean, it's nice to get away from skinny jeans, but there's got to be a happy medium somewhere.

Also, how is magenta "new"? Hasn't it been done to death off and on throughout the last 10 years or so? Or maybe that wasn't magenta, but something with a hint of purple, like "orchid" or "mauve" or whatever. If so, I can see how magenta is "new". I'm waiting for them to do a nice blue-violet shade of purple. Something that could almost be a neutral, like navy but better. But maybe that's just me.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-14-2023 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 11:00 AM

10,994 posts, read 6,860,952 times
My favorite colors are royal (cobalt) blue, dark forest green or sometimes Kelly green, or burgundy. Those are fall and winter shades but I like wearing them all year round. The problem is finding them! Let's say for example you think you'll be able to find them online instead of in a store. That's what I thought but it didn't really work out that way. On eBay I've gotten some nice things (used and new) but if you put forest green, or dark green, or hunter green you'll still get every shade of green imaginable even with a - (minus) in front of your search terms. Still, I've been able to find some things in the exact shade I want if I'm willing to wait long enough. Royal blue, I have found, is especially difficult to find. I love those colors and feel so good when I am wearing them. So for me I guess it's more about the color than the fashion. Heck, I might even start sewing again ! if I really want something bad enough and can't find it.

If I were still working in the corporate world I would definitely try to stay more up to date. Most of the time I end up buying men's shirts and sweaters because it's easier to find things than on women's sites.

Old 10-14-2023, 11:03 AM

5,010 posts, read 591,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm waiting for them to do a nice blue-violet shade of purple. Something that could almost be a neutral, like navy but better. But maybe that's just me.
How about cobalt blue? Popular color in fashion this year - versatile and can be paired with many other colors.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.z9PihV...pr=1.6&pid=1.7

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.NdLvwS...pr=1.6&pid=1.7

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.jwK5Yi...pr=1.6&pid=1.7

Old 10-15-2023, 05:43 AM

9,440 posts, read 5,204,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Exactly. The trends that are current are for women in their teens into their 30's. No one over 40's going to want cropped, boxy, baggy tops paired with wide-legged pants with narrow hips. I mean, it's nice to get away from skinny jeans, but there's got to be a happy medium somewhere.

Also, how is magenta "new"? Hasn't it been done to death off and on throughout the last 10 years or so? Or maybe that wasn't magenta, but something with a hint of purple, like "orchid" or "mauve" or whatever. If so, I can see how magenta is "new". I'm waiting for them to do a nice blue-violet shade of purple. Something that could almost be a neutral, like navy but better. But maybe that's just me.
I've always thought that if you go flare on the bottom, you should balance it out with something fitted on top and vice versa. Skinny jeans? Big baggy top.

Old 10-15-2023, 09:12 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
I'm not very hippy and if I wear skinny jeans I look like a bean pole. I guess that's supposed to be the idea. But it doesn't look interesting to me off the runway.

When I wear skinny jeans I like a combination of blouse and long jacket or sweater with them. I usually add a long - maybe thirty-inch pendant necklace or scarf to keep the long look going. Some elevated shoes. Heels are out now but I can still do a pair of platforms.

But yes, I think flared jeans call for a minimalist top. When I was young I could wear those cute little crop tops with them and it gave me mile long legs.

There are factors to consider - my age, my shape, and most definitely my comfort.

There's an issue - my age. I'm with everyone who says wear what you feel like wearing. It's your life and your fun so go for it.

There's also some sense of self-awareness that tells me when I've gone over the hill of absurdity and dressed completely inappropriately. I may need a second opinion with that at times.

There have been times in public when I see some dear, old soul in ruffles and too much rouge and I have to stifle a chuckle. I'd rather not be on the receiving end of that reaction unless I'm being playful. They might be! Heh.

Maybe it has to do with looking like I haven't lost all my marbles or being an attention seeker. That kind of thing. No matter what I'm wearing I want to look credible and authentic.

That's where those solid, faithful blues come in so handy. They just holler, "You can count on me."

Old 10-15-2023, 10:15 AM

3,108 posts, read 1,005,048 times
I like the cobalt blue. I find it elegant. Yellow, cobalt blue and white in combination look really good.

Old 10-15-2023, 02:43 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
I bought a really nice faux leather black blazer, two sale Alpaca turtleneck tunics from Everlane and I purchased a couple pair of Uggs - Ultimate Short boot and a Neumel boots.

Not crazy about much of the new stuff out there. I am so oversaturated with clothing I just can't justify purchasing much.

Old 10-15-2023, 06:37 PM

2,179 posts, read 2,316,671 times
I am back for everything in this thread: the corduroy, flared pants, cobalt blue, the greens, etc. etc. This is a very fashionable fall season with lots to choose from. Great pics
pathrunner, my favorite color is green, particularly, kelly, teal, sage and lime.

Old 10-15-2023, 07:31 PM

10,994 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
I am back for everything in this thread: the corduroy, flared pants, cobalt blue, the greens, etc. etc. This is a very fashionable fall season with lots to choose from. Great pics
pathrunner, my favorite color is green, particularly, kelly, teal, sage and lime.
It seems to me that the fashions posted initially on this thread are really kind of classic designs that have come back around and that's fine by me. I'll have to be content being envious of those who can actually wear it! I really enjoy looking at such photos. In the meantime, I'll be on the hunt for my blues and greens! I actually just found a new green sweater on eBay for an insanely great price and it's actually dark LOL

Old 10-16-2023, 11:21 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
We have an AI spy. I'm being haunted by ads for corduroy pants!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty