Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 02:21 PM

18,101 posts, read 15,676,604 times

Advertisements

Any fellow shorties here?

I'm 5'0" and when I look at fashion trends, many of them just don't work well for petites. Like wide leg pants. Great way to look shorter and possibly dumpy, even with heels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 04:28 PM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times
Not short, but short-waisted with an hour glass figure. I used to wear 3" heels when I was still working in order to look slimmer and taller. Looking back at photos I thought I was chubby. Ha! That's a laugh. But I did psychologically need those heels to feel comfortable.

I agree wide leg pants don't look good on short people or hour glass figures. Argh! I'd love to wear those slacks that Lodestar first posted. I'd also like to wear shirt-waist sweaters, jackets and blouses. There's a reason those drop-back sweaters have been the trend for so long! What are they called in the fashion world anyway?

Old 10-18-2023, 10:56 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
I've just seen them advertised as hi-lo or high-low.

Old 10-19-2023, 04:50 AM

9,460 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Any fellow shorties here?

I'm 5'0" and when I look at fashion trends, many of them just don't work well for petites. Like wide leg pants. Great way to look shorter and possibly dumpy, even with heels.
"Fit, proportion, silhouette" Tim Gunn

Keep trying things on, you will find looks/styles that flatter you. Then you could make a capsule wardrobe type thing with mix and match pieced. or go to Pinterest or another site and search styles for petites
I'm 5'3" but feel I'm not quite petite and not quite regular.
Sometimes I buy petite tops because they fit my short torso better, but I always have issues with pants. Got a couple pairs of Lucky brand jeans that fit well, if a bit long. I roll them up. Considering cutting them off (one of the pairs) and having that 'fringe' - deciding if I am too old for that look. LOL. Now that it's fall, I wear my boots more. Taos. Comfy and kinda stylish.

Old 10-19-2023, 09:53 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
A tip:
If you fringe them, run a stitch around the area where you want the fringing to stop.
Or not if you want the raggedy look.

Old 10-19-2023, 10:34 AM

18,101 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
"Fit, proportion, silhouette" Tim Gunn

Quote:
Keep trying things on, you will find looks/styles that flatter you. Then you could make a capsule wardrobe type thing with mix and match pieced. or go to Pinterest or another site and search styles for petites
I've been doing that. What I like best are basic pieces in solid colors (like navy, black, grey) and then I add tops with color to mix 'n match and whatever accessories. I generally only buy petite sizes. If money were no object, I'd probably buy a lot of Eileen Fisher designs. Her design esthetic is fab.

I used to sew a lot, and I've been wanting to get back into it. I need to get an updated set of measurements first. Commercial pattern alteration is a major part of sewing clothes, unless one is designing their own clothes, since the best fit is one that is customized to the individual, on every piece. It's a tedious process. "Sewing" is not about actually sewing; 80% is all the prep work, measuring, fitting, testing, fabric selection, blah, blah.

Old 10-19-2023, 12:41 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
I LOVE fall & fall fashion! Here's my status:

- 5'3" in height
- never gets that cold enough to wear sweaters much, which is a shame because I love them & have a lot!
- never have to dress up...always casual (not even business casual)
- I don't like tight tops...at least not anymore
- always loved darker &/or brighter colors, jewel tones, NEVER white, beige, tan, most pastels
- I could wear black everyday & never get bored of it
- hate cropped tops

My fall "uniform" I like to wear these days are...

- short-sleeved sweaters that come down at the natural waist or the high-low waist
- leggings
- slip-on sneakers

Old 10-20-2023, 09:04 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Noticed Military dresses . jackets and trousers back in fashion.. always like the dresses years ago.. but then again whats going on in Ukraine etc probably brings out ideas for fashion..

Old 10-20-2023, 08:27 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Back to the topic of magenta, I've now seen a number of items in that general palette: coats, blouses. They're called anything from fuchsia to berry, to magenta. It doesn't look new to me, but it's still a nice color.

However, I've also come across a few deep, dark purple shades in coats and corduroy jeans. Those are usually called "aubergine", or "blackberry". Here's a nice rich "aubergine" (violet), though it's all synthetic, even though it looks like a nice, warm wool coat. There are a lot of all-polyester winter or fall coats out there in nice styles, but without wool content, they won't keep you warm, be forwarned. I love this color, though.

https://bananarepublicfactory.gapfac...p-page-content

Old 10-20-2023, 08:50 PM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times
That's gorgeous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty