Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 01:55 PM

6,618 posts, read 4,917,521 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...111603532.html

I didn't know how risky dyeing hair is. I only knew that straightening is very damaging. Maybe those methods help explain why one usually can tell apart a young woman from a middle-aged woman by the quality of her hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2023, 02:23 PM

23,496 posts, read 19,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...111603532.html

I didn't know how risky dyeing hair is. I only knew that straightening is very damaging. Maybe those methods help explain why one usually can tell apart a young woman from a middle-aged woman by the quality of her hair.
The "quality" of a person's natural hair and how tolerant it and their scalp happens to be to chemical processing differs so much. Then there's all the other abuse hair gets subjected to; using improper products, washing too often, blowdrying, perms, hot rollers, etc. Not to mention the systemic effects of poor nutrition. FWIW, my mother dyed her hair subtly for many years up until she died. Other than that, she didn't really abuse it and paid attention to her health overall. Her hair always looked beautiful, full and healthy. Both my sisters have dyed and/or highlighted theirs for many years. They have the processes done by professionals and maintain it before and after. They are both over 60 now and their hair normally looks thick and healthy. I get a highlight done now and then too to blend the incoming grey (not to cover it...pointless) but other than cutting I leave it pretty much alone. Stylists usually comment on how full and healthy my hair is.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-29-2023 at 02:33 PM..

Old 10-29-2023, 03:27 PM

You have valid points about varying natural resilience and some other causes of damage. I'd also throw in major hormone shifts re pregnancy, but of course that's beyond the scope of fashion. However, I disagree strongly on too much washing. Unless hair or scalp is very frail and product ingredients rather harsh, the risk of hair loss is much higher from not washing enough, which is a common issue among women - I'm talking scalp infection. Many men and women likely lose hair from that without ever realizing it.

Anyway, what I said still stands - that young-looking hair is for young women, unless special care is taken, such as avoiding hair coloring more than subtle highlights. The article's disasters were overseen by professionals. I strongly suspect that more subtle damage is done by them that they or their clients are never aware of but it adds up. Many professionals over all sorts of fields aren't good at what they do. Of course the risk of a bad cosmetic result is much higher DIY, but generally the most damaging things are not available to use/do at home.

Old 10-29-2023, 03:29 PM

17,558 posts, read 16,714,623 times
I've been using a box dye for maybe 10 years now. The dye actually gives my hair some body and it feels soft and natural.

I don't know what the celebrities are doing to their hair to cause so much extreme damage but I think bleach and dying their too frequently and making extreme color changes have a lot to do with their issues. I've never experienced the kind of problems with my hair that they have.

Old 10-29-2023, 03:33 PM

17,558 posts, read 16,714,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
You have valid points about varying natural resilience and some other causes of damage. I'd also throw in major hormone shifts re pregnancy, but of course that's beyond the scope of fashion. However, I disagree strongly on too much washing. Unless hair or scalp is very frail and product ingredients rather harsh, the risk of hair loss is much higher from not washing enough, which is a common issue among women - I'm talking scalp infection. Many men and women likely lose hair from that without ever realizing it.

Anyway, what I said still stands - that young-looking hair is for young women, unless special care is taken, such as avoiding hair coloring more than subtle highlights. The article's disasters were overseen by professionals. I strongly suspect that more subtle damage is done by them that they or their clients are never aware of but it adds up. Many professionals over all sorts of fields aren't good at what they do. Of course the risk of a bad cosmetic result is much higher DIY, but generally the most damaging things are not available to use/do at home.
Bouncing around, going from bleached blonde to red to brunette and then back to bleached blonde again in a matter of months is going to take its toll on anyone's hair. Add in the damage from heat styling - hair dryers, straighteners, curling irons, etc, and their hair ends up looking worn out and like it's really been through something because it has.

Old 10-30-2023, 11:31 AM

18,317 posts, read 15,841,079 times
All of those things mentioned plus good 'ole hormones at varying life stages can also cause hair thinning and hair loss.

Old 10-30-2023, 03:49 PM

11,124 posts, read 6,716,629 times
IDK about any of this.

I've dyed my hair for 30 years to cover the gray. But since I was already blond, I only had to do it every 6 months. I never noticed damage from it. I just use the box and DH does it for me.

Once a year I do the keratin straightening by a professional and the texture and look is so much better afterwards. It feels soft and full and no frizz. My hair is actually longer now as a senior, than it ever was.

But I've never used rollers or hot irons or blow-dryers or any of that stuff. I don't like to mess with it so the straight long look is easiest for me, and luckily, in style (not that I care, lol).

I disagree about the washing. Too much is hard on hair. I have drier skin/scalp so don't need it that often.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:18 AM

9,928 posts, read 7,829,206 times
I have never heard that women lose their hair due to scalp infection from not washing enough. That sounds a little far out.

My hair and skin are also dry, no need to shampoo every day, especially since I don't use any other hair products.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,261,768 times
I am 61 and haven't dyed my hair in years, maybe even a decade or more. I also wash it about every for or five days. I only use a tiny bit of heat on it the day I wash and dry it. It is so thick that I have to get it thinned once a month. It's shiny and full and I love it.

Old 10-31-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I have never heard that women lose their hair due to scalp infection from not washing enough. That sounds a little far out.

My hair and skin are also dry, no need to shampoo every day, especially since I don't use any other hair products.
I've never read a mainstream article about folliculitis. That doesn't mean it is rare or harmless. "Superficial folliculitis is common, but... it is often self-limited and patients rarely present to the doctor" (and most of those patients probably don't realize that they're infected). I've had it in places for much of adulthood. A dermatologist will say that happens and it needs treatment that involves being more careful about cleanliness, and one of the ways to deal with it is to keep hair very short (which in turn most likely spurred the concept of hair shaving). To become visibly bald from folliculitis is rare, but I bet it causes a reduction in hair bulk in more than short, mild cases.

I suppose some potentially damaging hair treatments might inadvertently treat it, but a scalp is more prone to anything after damage happens.

Last edited by goodheathen; 10-31-2023 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty