Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 11:34 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
I shop for outdoor jackets, shoes, boots, beach equipment, etc. at Sierra. Prices are good. Check it out!

https://www.sierra.com/
I don't wish to sound ungrateful, but I really do wish people would read the OP before giving advice. I know about Sierra. I know about REI. I know about Dick's. I even know about Scheel's (although the taxidermy department was quite a surprise). I promise you, I live in a major metropolitan area and am more than aware of all the retailers around me. I was after specific models, which exactly one person in this entire thread has suggested and for which I'm thankful, because I was actually able to find the jacket I'm after. But simply naming stores isn't helpful.

For what it's worth, I've been to a few Sierras and shopped their online section, too. Came close with a TNF Apex Bionic, but that's how I came to know that it doesn't suit me (as I've mentioned in the OP).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2023, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Other option: Lululemon Warp Light jacket. Caught one on closeout the other week for $119. Meets your price point and most of the above. Not Gore-Tex and nothing I'd take into too much rain. I rinsed it off recently and noted it dried much more slowly than the Trino SL (which is Gore-Tex). Based on your "waterproof" comments, last few sentences, might not serve your purposes.
Hey, so I swung by Lulu this afternoon on my way to return a bunch of stuff to TNF. Speaking of TNF, the Camden hoodie almost worked for me, but I just couldn't get past the color. My only options were khaki and black. I refuse to wear black, if for no other reason than the fact that it's the color on which cat hair is most obvious and we have three fluffballs. And my skin tone is WAY too light for khaki. But I digress. I did see the Warp Light, but on the stand next to it was the Cross Chill. Looks absolutely PERFECT for what I'm after, so now I'm going to try to see if I can find a sale or maybe hit up Poshmark (already made an offer on one at $110, waiting for a response). Thanks for the suggestion again - I'd never have thought to look at Lulu otherwise.

Old 12-03-2023, 11:48 AM

To those who have helped and others who might still be curious - I ended up buying that Lulu Cross Chill on Poshmark (brand new) for $110 and exchanging it at a Lulu store for one size up - the small turned out to be a little too snug, but they were happy to do it. So far it's done alright in above-freezing weather. I also bought a $18 puffer hoodie from 32 Degrees that seems better suited to slightly colder days and a Tekware hoodie from TNF (couldn't resist a sale that ended up being better than 1/2 off), but I haven't worn it yet. The from the same collection (which I also grabbed on the same sale) have been solid even on colder days, though, so hopes are high.

Old 12-03-2023, 03:35 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Hoping C-D's collective wisdom won't let me freeze during my next trip.

I'm looking for something that:

- Would fit a sorta-athletic-looking male (5 ft 7, 160 lbs) in a size S (most Ms in my experience have sleeves that are way too long, but a lot of Ss are also made for people 20 lbs slimmer)
- Is lightweight (can be packed away in a backpack when walking around a city for multiple hours)
- Is warm enough to wear over two a long-sleeve t-shirt or a microfleece 1/4 zip with a tank top underneath, but not so that I'm already sweaty after a half an hour of walking
- Windproof and at least water-resistant, so a light rain wouldn't soak it clear through
- Softshell (with a fleece inside layer) or quilted - not yet sure which is best, leaning towards the former, but am willing to be persuaded otherwise
- Can be found on sale under $200

So far I've looked at the Adidas Terrex range (haven't tried anything on, though), R2 from Patagonia (I have one - not waterproof enough and a bit too thin to be warm enough), North Face Apex Bionic (too narrow in the shoulders) and Thermoball (would be ideal, but too slim a fit). Have a North Face Camden and Tekware hoodies coming (suspect Tekware will be similar to the R2), as well as a pretty simple Costco Weatherproof jacket. Anything else I should be looking at?

TIA!
Take a look at LL Beans.
Their product quality has been very good for me.

Edit: Too late. Sorry.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:52 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,144,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
To those who have helped and others who might still be curious - I ended up buying that Lulu Cross Chill on Poshmark (brand new) for $110 and exchanging it at a Lulu store for one size up - the small turned out to be a little too snug, but they were happy to do it. So far it's done alright in above-freezing weather. I also bought a $18 puffer hoodie from 32 Degrees that seems better suited to slightly colder days and a Tekware hoodie from TNF (couldn't resist a sale that ended up being better than 1/2 off), but I haven't worn it yet. The from the same collection (which I also grabbed on the same sale) have been solid even on colder days, though, so hopes are high.
Informative thread. Good to see what works for others. I'm an Arc'teryx and Lululemon fan for products that "just work." In Seattle we have most of the big brands close at hand. Both Arc and Lulu are based in Vancouver BC and share engineering expertise though occupy overlapping niches. They're all good AFAIK but those two are a step above, unf. also at more $$.

Almost all of my "this needs to work or I'm courting hypothermia" gear is now Arc'teryx and Lululemon. Example: long-ish run in Norvan SL yesterday, a 12 miler in light to heavy rain, was a textbook example of what breathes well yet keeps most of the rain off for a few hours. Absent a hard shell, which isn't going to work for high output activities.

Cross Chill seems intriguing. Similar to my Arc'teryx Rho AR, though that's more for skiing and holds IN more heat than it lets OUT. I bet that Lulu jacket is excellent for a couple hours of running when it's 30's F. My Warp Light is a "bonus layer" that comes in handy for a little extra, not something to be worn as the primary garment. One man's M is another's S, one never knows with these garments and I vary between mostly M and occasionally L.

Old 12-04-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Informative thread. Good to see what works for others. I'm an Arc'teryx and Lululemon fan for products that "just work." In Seattle we have most of the big brands close at hand. Both Arc and Lulu are based in Vancouver BC and share engineering expertise though occupy overlapping niches. They're all good AFAIK but those two are a step above, unf. also at more $$.
I used to have an Arc store nearby when I lived in Aurora, IL and I know people who swear by their stuff. I would have potentially eventually gotten to checking them out either direct online or via REI or Amazon had I not found the stuff I did.
Quote:
Almost all of my "this needs to work or I'm courting hypothermia" gear is now Arc'teryx and Lululemon. Example: long-ish run in Norvan SL yesterday, a 12 miler in light to heavy rain, was a textbook example of what breathes well yet keeps most of the rain off for a few hours. Absent a hard shell, which isn't going to work for high output activities.
Hah, any time I run in bad weather (which, in fairness, isn't often because my lungs give out below freezing), I throw on an Adidas Climawarm Manchester United hoodie exactly like this one with a foil-like liner. Makes me smell like someone who hadn't had a shower in a month after I'm done (much, MUCH worse than any other piece of clothing I own), but damned if it doesn't do the job.
Quote:
Cross Chill seems intriguing. Similar to my Arc'teryx Rho AR, though that's more for skiing and holds IN more heat than it lets OUT. I bet that Lulu jacket is excellent for a couple hours of running when it's 30's F. My Warp Light is a "bonus layer" that comes in handy for a little extra, not something to be worn as the primary garment. One man's M is another's S, one never knows with these garments and I vary between mostly M and occasionally L.
I've been wearing it for a week, occasionally with a 32 Deg vest for an extra layer and it's handling Minnesota's humid start to winter pretty well, I have to say. I wouldn't run in it, though - as a more traditional softshell, it's pretty rigid and heavy (relatively speaking).

Old 12-05-2023, 09:42 AM

Huh. For once spam is actually sort of on point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty