Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 05:55 PM

5,010 posts, read 598,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Amazon....buy a bunch.....try on....return what you don`t like. So easy.
100% cotton, machine wash, available in tons of colors.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/..._AC_SY879_.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2023, 06:07 PM

3,075 posts, read 2,062,732 times
Really hard to know what someone thinks is cute when not knowing what their body type is or their personal style.

I'm over 60 and always trying to find good tops for jeans. I use Amazon and order classic style of collared shirts, like a button-down without collar buttons. I order many and ship back many due to poor sizing. My body needs non-blousy design, these designs are harder to get the fit right.

This fall I've been wearing short sleeve shirt under unbuttoned long-sleeved shirt, sometimes with a quilted vest on top which makes a better fitted look.

I like shopping online because I've never been very successful with in-store shopping, never finding my size, never finding design that looks good in the colors I want (white, blue, black, beige).

Old 11-20-2023, 06:42 PM

3,096 posts, read 1,563,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Trying to find cute shirts that go with jeans or nice pants for work.

Most of what I have is all dry clean. I added up my dry cleaning bill for last month and it was a lot.

I had bought a couple of what I thought were cute shirts/blouses online and I got them. Horrible. I looked like a butterfly in one of them.

Anyway, I'd love to find something classic, no big birds or tie dye type stuff, 3 quarter sleeve or longer.

Where do mature women find these?
LLBean! well worththe price.

Old 11-20-2023, 08:13 PM

20,803 posts, read 8,640,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I like the styles and tailored fit of Talbots. I am thin so I need the tailored fit. I purchase all my slacks from Talbots.

Just bought a pair of Talbots corduroy pants, size 6, on Poshmark for $20. Like new, fit me perfectly. My first Talbots item. Didn't realize the quality was so good. This chilly weather has me craving corduroy!

Old 11-20-2023, 09:21 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,115,305 times
Get off the Amazon treadmill of ridiculousness and shop some quality locally at a department store like Nordstrom which has stylish work wear and professional sales staffs who know their lines, best fits, etc.

Old 11-21-2023, 06:42 AM

9,900 posts, read 7,792,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I shop Dillards. That's as high end as i go. But I always find something I'm looking for.
I shop at Belk. I like buying clothes in person and being able to feel the fabric and try several on.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:23 PM

6,887 posts, read 11,266,418 times
Smile Yes, I would wear that shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
100% cotton, machine wash, available in tons of colors.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/..._AC_SY879_.jpg
Long story but my Amazon account was hacked and I am afraid to order again from them.

This led to credit cards being hacked (we got new ones and while they were on their way to us, the new cards got hacked)!

Old 11-21-2023, 12:36 PM

Smile Wish that was the case for me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Really hard to know what someone thinks is cute when not knowing what their body type is or their personal style.

I'm over 60 and always trying to find good tops for jeans. I use Amazon and order classic style of collared shirts, like a button-down without collar buttons. I order many and ship back many due to poor sizing. My body needs non-blousy design, these designs are harder to get the fit right.

This fall I've been wearing short sleeve shirt under unbuttoned long-sleeved shirt, sometimes with a quilted vest on top which makes a better fitted look.

I like shopping online because I've never been very successful with in-store shopping, never finding my size, never finding design that looks good in the colors I want (white, blue, black, beige).
Believe it or not, I work across the street from one of the best malls in the country. That's the secret.
I tell myself, OK, I'll go over there tonight and then I can't (too busy). Happens all the time.

If the mall was 10 miles away, I'd probably get there more often. (joking but it's real).

I hired a personal shopper back in 2018 from Nordstroms. I had to go to a wedding and pre-wedding festivities (2 weddings that year!). Anyway, we found such good stuff which I still wear and some of it I never would have tried on.

I'll do that again if I need to but I need to explore the whole mall this time. I always forget about Talbots (we have one here) but we do not have Dillards.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:44 PM

Smile See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
LLBean! well worththe price.
My husband orders on line and he does well with them.

I need to try on the items.

I just googled LL Bean and Nordstroms came up. It looks like Nordstroms carries some of their line now so I will pay Nordstroms a visit.

Nordstroms literally saved our lives back in 2012.

My husband needed 3 suits within 24 hours and they made it happen. We arrived at 9:15 PM (they closed at 9:30 PM) but they stayed, fitted him and we picked up the 3 suits Sunday afternoon. (It was a Saturday evening and that was the only time my husband could get there).

He had them in time and he looked great in the suits. Gave him much needed confidence and the result was positive.

Anyway, no matter the cost, I am and will always be in debt to Nordstroms. I miss some of our old stores from the old days (Burdines, Jordan Marsh, Lord and Taylor, Jacobsons, so many others).

Old 11-21-2023, 01:05 PM

50,432 posts, read 64,199,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Believe it or not, I work across the street from one of the best malls in the country. That's the secret.
I tell myself, OK, I'll go over there tonight and then I can't (too busy). Happens all the time.

If the mall was 10 miles away, I'd probably get there more often. (joking but it's real).

I hired a personal shopper back in 2018 from Nordstroms. I had to go to a wedding and pre-wedding festivities (2 weddings that year!). Anyway, we found such good stuff which I still wear and some of it I never would have tried on.

I'll do that again if I need to but I need to explore the whole mall this time. I always forget about Talbots (we have one here) but we do not have Dillards.
Belk and Dillards are very similar.

It’s been years, but I bought the no iron tailored blouses from Lands End when I was working, and if they are the same now, they seriously come out of the dryer as though they’d come from the dry cleaner.
https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...es=32671,44967

As for pants, I like either JJill or NYDJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty