Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 01:28 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,679,909 times

Advertisements

So many stores have disappeared in my area and I live in a major city. Dillard, Belk, and Talbots all closed their nearby stores when the mall was demolished. I still miss Thalhimers, Ivey’s and Burdines.

I would also still suggest Talbots although I have to order online now or drive farther than I wish. They no longer carry Narrow width shoes which is a disappointment. I tend to wear more classic styles and have found dresses, pants, sweaters and T-shirts that fit me well so I mostly shop there. I do order casual pants and jackets from LLBean, particularly like their Ultrasoft fleece line. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 01:47 PM

3,156 posts, read 1,613,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Believe it or not, I work across the street from one of the best malls in the country. That's the secret.
I tell myself, OK, I'll go over there tonight and then I can't (too busy). Happens all the time.

If the mall was 10 miles away, I'd probably get there more often. (joking but it's real).

I hired a personal shopper back in 2018 from Nordstroms. I had to go to a wedding and pre-wedding festivities (2 weddings that year!). Anyway, we found such good stuff which I still wear and some of it I never would have tried on.

I'll do that again if I need to but I need to explore the whole mall this time. I always forget about Talbots (we have one here) but we do not have Dillards.
Many times I do order on-line from Talbots if I see something I like and it's on sale. If I need to return, I do an in-store return and shop while I am there.

Old 11-21-2023, 02:22 PM

24,140 posts, read 32,557,987 times
Quote:
Trying to find cute shirts that go with jeans or nice pants for work.

Most of what I have is all dry clean. I added up my dry cleaning bill for last month and it was a lot.

I had bought a couple of what I thought were cute shirts/blouses online and I got them. Horrible. I looked like a butterfly in one of them.

Anyway, I'd love to find something classic, no big birds or tie dye type stuff, 3 quarter sleeve or longer.

Where do mature women find these?
I am so sorry about your accounts being hacked. Especially at this time of year. I hope things can be worked out soon!

What kind of clothes do you like? I you particular about brands, designers. or stores? How much do you like to spend? It seems that you don't like to have everything drycleaned. Is thrift? Chemicals? The inconvenience of having things dry cleaned - or something else?

Not all of us above 50 or 60 dresses alike. There are those who prefer CHICO's and those who prefer Talbot's and those who like outdoorsy preppy clothes, like L.L.Bean. Then there are the women who love Eileen Fisher and similar designers who are geared towards women over 50

Personally, I like Banana Republic and Saks.

Please give me an idea - either a picture or a style that you like. Maybe I can be of help.

I've always wanted to hire a professional stylist to see if what they choose is better than what I would choose.

Old 11-21-2023, 06:37 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,732,031 times
Madewell

Spanx - they have some really good stuff for work.

Old 11-22-2023, 07:15 AM

110 posts, read 89,056 times
Try Brooks Brothers, J Crew, Ralph Lauren, Banana Republic and Ann Taylor.

Old 11-22-2023, 08:31 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,308,072 times
Check Macy's out. They have some nice things too.

Old 11-22-2023, 09:08 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,072,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Check Macy's out. They have some nice things too.
I agree, especially at their larger regional flagship stores.

Old 11-22-2023, 09:11 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,072,830 times
OP also if an option nearby you might also check out the outlet locations for Nordstrom Rack or Off Fifth (Saks Fifth Avenue).

Old 11-22-2023, 10:31 AM

7,702 posts, read 3,314,376 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, I work across the street from one of the best malls in the country. That's the secret.
I tell myself, OK, I'll go over there tonight and then I can't (too busy). Happens all the time.

If the mall was 10 miles away, I'd probably get there more often. (joking but it's real).

I hired a personal shopper back in 2018 from Nordstroms. I had to go to a wedding and pre-wedding festivities (2 weddings that year!). Anyway, we found such good stuff which I still wear and some of it I never would have tried on.

I'll do that again if I need to but I need to explore the whole mall this time. I always forget about Talbots (we have one here) but we do not have Dillards.

The Nordstrom personal shopper sounds like the best idea for you. The thing is if you buy things that you do not end up wearing it is actually more expensive than buying a few key pieces that maybe are more expensive, but, you get so much use out of them over so many years (the price per wear is very low).

It sounds like you do not really want to shop online.

Old 11-22-2023, 10:33 AM

7,702 posts, read 3,314,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, especially at their larger regional flagship stores.

Exactly. Macys if one of their main stores is going to cover a lot of territory. I used to buy expensive brands at deep discounts there. I have not lately. You really need to have time to shop and know what you want and then wait for the price to come down (and then strike when the price drops).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty