Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:55 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasi86 View Post
Boy am I happy I found you!!!

See, I've been dressing in this style for about a year now, I just didn't know it had a name. I became obsessed with all things 1940s-1950s and wanted to make my own style of it. I made most of my clothes or raided thrift stores. Then I moved to Spain and people started saying I was a Rockabilly. So after a lot of research, I realized that I fell into this category AND I finally found websites that make clothes for sirens like me... YAY!

However, I never see to many Black Rockabillies... Maybe I'm the only one. I'm Cuban by heritage, but you are what you look in this world, sadly. I don't wear my hair in this fashion though... I wear 1920s style fingerwaves and my hair is short.

Anyway, I'm still happy I found this thread!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone give me any advice on how to carry my look into winter? I've never really lived in a cold weather environment before and it's getting pretty cold here in Barcelona.

Lovely to meet you ladies, I'm Yasmina.
Lots of beautiful black girls at the Rockabilly Weekender in Vegas. I am sometimes quite envious of them because they carry off the pastels and bright colors so beautifully.

For winter, you can aim for a more 'tailored' look. Three quarter length sleeved cropped jackets, classy sweater sets, pencil skirts, riding boots with skinny pants, fitted turtlenecks etc. I also have a pair of doc martens that I wear w/ my cuffed jeans...it's a bit 'young' but I still do it in wintertime , especially w/ tee shirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 08:18 AM

I'm not gonna let the Rockabilly women die! Let's chew the fat about fifties fashion.

If you could have the style of any movie star from the forties and fifites, who would it be? I am so torn. I love Grace Kelly but sometimes I just want a little bit of a tomboy quality so I channel Ginger Rogers circa 'Stage Door' and 'Primrose Path'

http://mysite.verizon.net/res0qaye/s...elly_white.jpg

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/4...sepath5rv2.jpg

Old 10-15-2008, 11:22 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I'm not gonna let the Rockabilly women die! Let's chew the fat about fifties fashion.

If you could have the style of any movie star from the forties and fifites, who would it be? I am so torn. I love Grace Kelly but sometimes I just want a little bit of a tomboy quality so I channel Ginger Rogers circa 'Stage Door' and 'Primrose Path'

Ginger Rogers is sooo amazing! I channel Mamie Van Doren (not now.... but back then) with some Jean Harlow vampness, the quirky nature of Betty Grable and the down and out sexuality (but not knowing your sexy) of Betty Page.

I just love that vuluptous sex kitten, but at the same time innocent, personalities that these gals protreyed. It's okay to exude sex but still be demure and sweet at the same time.

Just amazing women!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 10,515 times
Well it any and everything having to do with the 40,50,60's era anybosy who loves rockabilly music or the good ol'oldies and most women who choose to have this look have the Bettie Page bangs (not betty)and the 50's up-do hard to do hair some women choose the marilyn monroe and many others its either the bleach blonde or a brunette .there is the new faze of being out there with the flourescent colored hair ( i wouldnt choose that look)women who choose this style have many old school clothing high waisted pants and button up shirts usually with peeps toed Pumps bout 5-6inches are one of the example of the rockabilly look or they get the cutest dress there many kinds there a lines and tube dress and if you like em tight you should go with the pencil skirt which bring out your voluptuous curves nowadays women like wearing the glamour clothing to look like a pin up model thats basically the look. here are sites to get these clothing is pinupgirlclothing.com, sourpussclothing.com stopstaring.com startletsandharlets.com all those and many many more but the main look if your really into it; is being pale and not tattooed but nowadays the new rockabilly look is being all tattooed thats the women choice but its not the original look so if you are choosing to go for this go the original way dont try the whole faddish look

Old 10-16-2008, 10:52 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:

Absolutely Marilyn Monroe, though when I was younger friends used to say I reminded them of Kim Novak.

http://www.worldartcelebritiesjourna...om/mail1.7.gif

But this? This is "me". Yeah.

http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgst4074...roe-poster.jpg

http://www.popmonk.com/actresses/mar...roe-pic-6b.jpg

http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images...postcard--.jpg

Old 10-16-2008, 12:44 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie dee View Post
Well it any and everything having to do with the 40,50,60's era anybosy who loves rockabilly music or the good ol'oldies and most women who choose to have this look have the Bettie Page bangs (not betty)and the 50's up-do hard to do hair some women choose the marilyn monroe and many others its either the bleach blonde or a brunette .there is the new faze of being out there with the flourescent colored hair ( i wouldnt choose that look)women who choose this style have many old school clothing high waisted pants and button up shirts usually with peeps toed Pumps bout 5-6inches are one of the example of the rockabilly look or they get the cutest dress there many kinds there a lines and tube dress and if you like em tight you should go with the pencil skirt which bring out your voluptuous curves nowadays women like wearing the glamour clothing to look like a pin up model thats basically the look. here are sites to get these clothing is pinupgirlclothing.com, sourpussclothing.com stopstaring.com startletsandharlets.com all those and many many more but the main look if your really into it; is being pale and not tattooed but nowadays the new rockabilly look is being all tattooed thats the women choice but its not the original look so if you are choosing to go for this go the original way dont try the whole faddish look
I have to agree with you on most of this, but the 'new look' isn't exactly a fad... I like to mix old and new, and I think it's interesting to see a gal all dressed up in a 'housewife' dress outfit but then see a couple of 'old school style' tattoos peeking out. It's a great contrast of old fashioned and edgy The hair thing.... I had bright pink hair for a while, with bettie page bangs and it was a very interesting look

Old 10-17-2008, 07:27 AM

Yes, the tattoos w/ the retro duds are definitely the modern way of being 'pinup'. I personally like to look authentic, however. Unfortunately, vintage stores are few and far between around here so I have to order online from the websites Zombie dee referenced

Old 10-18-2008, 04:37 AM

3 posts, read 29,589 times
Quote:

Definitely Rita Hayworth! Wow! Sometimes Ave Gardner... I have to have sex appeal. I love looking like 'You can look, but you better not touch.'

Ginger Rogers is classic!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:47 AM

3 posts, read 29,589 times
Quote:
Yes, the tattoos w/ the retro duds are definitely the modern way of being 'pinup'. I personally like to look authentic, however. Unfortunately, vintage stores are few and far between around here so I have to order online from the websites Zombie dee referenced
I totally agree with you... And thanks for the encouragement you gave a few posts back... But yes, the authentic look is one you can't beat. If it were, none of us would try to incorporate those eras into our style. However, I do agree with Jet also, about mixing the old with the new. I do this occasionally, but not too often. I also have some, well, a lot of tattoos. All my art is on my back and I only show it when I'm in a revealing mood as they are more personal pieces of artwork. They say Jewish girls aren't supposed to get tattoos. I'm a bad bad girl lol.

Now for my next question... How do you incorporate this look into pregnancy? My belly is really starting to expand!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasi86 View Post
I totally agree with you... And thanks for the encouragement you gave a few posts back... But yes, the authentic look is one you can't beat. If it were, none of us would try to incorporate those eras into our style. However, I do agree with Jet also, about mixing the old with the new. I do this occasionally, but not too often. I also have some, well, a lot of tattoos. All my art is on my back and I only show it when I'm in a revealing mood as they are more personal pieces of artwork. They say Jewish girls aren't supposed to get tattoos. I'm a bad bad girl lol.

Now for my next question... How do you incorporate this look into pregnancy? My belly is really starting to expand!

Ooo! Ooo! I know! I know! I was pregnant last year and felt the same way. The way I did it is that I went to Maternity Mall dot com and found pieces that I felt could be incorporated into a retro style. I found some really cute things (inexpensive ones) at Motherhood online like a white tailored maternity button up top that was 'swiss' dotted, surplice neckline tops, halter tops, and pencil skirts. Retro-style dresses were also kind of easy to find there. I was able to wear my own jeans for almost my whole pregnancy by purchasing a 'bella band' that is just a stretchy tube you wear over the waistline while leaving them unbuttoned (incidentally, this thing is a life saver for getting back into your jeans after pregnancy as well) and I still cuffed them and wore heels (yeah, gotta have my heels). I also purchased basics like camisole bra tops and tank tops. Wearing my retro jewelry, bandanas, make-up, and shoes kept me in my 'style' while pregnant.

Here is a couple of my prengnacy photos:

THis one is at the ROckabilly Weekender when I was five months along...you can't see the belly but you can see the clothes:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98898637@N00/714433313/in/set-72157600640224053/ (broken link)

THis one is at seven months:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98898637@N00/714455427/in/set-72157600640225179?edited=1 (broken link)

Last edited by alicenevada; 10-20-2008 at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty