Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 07:01 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times

Advertisements

A word of caution - and I don't know if this is true - but I heard a beauty consultant say on a tv interview that lashes don't regrow once they fall out, and that lash curlers pull out a lot of lashes over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 07:06 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubalu View Post
T Flourchild, I don't know what AHA and Retinol is but I'll definately look into it too, thanks.
AHA (alpha-hydroxy acid) and BHA (beta-hydroxy acid, or salicylic acid) are, as their names indicate, acids, derived from milk and fruit. They stimulate speedier cell turnover, causing skin to look smoother, filled out (as opposed to wrinkled) and even though they're usually found in moisturizers, they help with blemishes as well. Retinol (or Retin-A) is the topical form of vitamin A. (Beta carotene is the edible form, I think.) Retinol/Retin-A are reputed to be the only things that actually undo sun damage.

For whatever reason, I definitely have noticed that using these things (alternately, NOT together--no telling how much skin irritation that would cause) benefits not only my skin, but eyelashes and eyebrows as well. I overplucked as a teen and have had to pencil my eyebrows ever since, but using these products (different brands, none in particular) has helped that situation.

Sorry for answering a simple inquiry with "War and Peace", there...

Old 06-19-2008, 08:14 AM

617 posts, read 2,072,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
A word of caution - and I don't know if this is true - but I heard a beauty consultant say on a tv interview that lashes don't regrow once they fall out, and that lash curlers pull out a lot of lashes over time.
Perhaps you misunderstood the beauty consultant. Eyelashes do grow back unless there is an underlying medical condition (alopecia) or sometimes if they were burned off, scar tissue may form and prevent regrowth.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,113 times
I recommend jane iredale PureLash Extender & Conditioner. It's a natural, healthy product (like all her other make-up) and I've had great success with it.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:08 AM

5 posts, read 11,411 times
getting good knowledge while reading the comments and posts .
ha ha ha ha ha ....

Old 06-23-2008, 07:29 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
Perhaps you misunderstood the beauty consultant. Eyelashes do grow back unless there is an underlying medical condition (alopecia) or sometimes if they were burned off, scar tissue may form and prevent regrowth.
There was no misunderstanding (by the way, the guest was an MD talking about skin, spefically about teenagers and makeup). It made an impression on me specifically because of what he said. Maybe the information given was incomplete? Are some of you personally seeing regrowth?

FlourChild, when you say "using these products (different brands, none in particular) has helped that situation." Do you mean your eyebrows are regrowing?

Last edited by swbtoo; 06-23-2008 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: word

Old 06-23-2008, 07:40 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
There was no misunderstanding (by the way, the guest was an MD talking about skin, spefically about teenagers and makeup). It made an impression on me specifically because of what he said. Maybe the information given was incomplete? Are some of you personally seeing regrowth?

FlourChild, when you say "using these products (different brands, none in particular) has helped that situation." Do you mean your eyebrows are regrowing?
Well, I didn't tweeze them all COMPLETELY off, but I did pretty much make them sparse. Using these products (and by "none in particular", I just meant that I haven't noticed better results with one brand than with another) I have noticed that they seem to fill out a bit, where filling out is welcome (as opposed to strays showing up all hale and hearty). It's not a miracle cure, but it lessens the need for augmentation.

BTW: I've heard and seen some makeup mavens (Bobbi Brown in particular) recommending brow powder, but that absolutely does not work for me. YMMV, but I always end up w/Leonid Brezhnev brows when I use powder on them. The powder doesn't stay put; it blurs and spreads out and just looks creepy. Pencils are the way to go. Sorry, this is getting OT. Ahem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty