Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:12 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times

Advertisements

This was brought on by the panty hose thread.

Let me tell you a little about who I USED to be. When I was a teenager up into my early 30s, I dressed up ALOT. I went to church and community funerals and such. I always wore my panty hose. I even wore hats for awhile, I was a full on Lady Diana watcher and copied her look alot.

I would match my panty hose, shoes, purses and hats. I still have some of those hats. I had a green velvet jacket with skirt and a matching hat that I wore with black shoes and VERY sheer black hose.

I went to a family funeral one time in a black dress with an A line skirt, the neck had a sweet white collar on it, I wore my patton leather belt and a wide brimmed black hat with sheer black panty hose with a seam up the back and a bow at my heel with high heeled black patton shoes.

I had a wonderful sort of jacket dress in a black and white hounds tooth fabric that I wore with a black patton leather belt and shoes, with white or VERY sheer black hose and I topped it off with a cranberry velvet hat with a veil that came down over my face.

If you look at my picture on my profile I had calmed down a bit by then and left off the hats although as I was getting dressed that day, I did feel a nice summer hat would go well with my navy dress.

I had an enormous collection of jewelry. After I got out on my own I cast aside this idea that we could not wear jewelry (another religious thing). I embraced it and had so much jewelry it was crazy. I have been going through and getting rid of alot of it. Whenever I had on a blazer, I had a different and unusual pin to wear on the lapel. I often had a set of things, the matching necklace, earrings and bracelet. I used to work in retail and I would go on a break and cruise through the sale wracks at the different places that sold nice custume jewelry.

I used to be a frequent shopper at Laura Ashley, I wore her dresses alot, always with panty hose and even with the slips that were supposed to hang down below the hem for something extra fancy.

I always had my makeup just perfect, when I was able I matched my nail polish but at that time I was not allowed to wear anything too dark because of the religion my family was a part of.

You get the general idea.

Over the years, I have become so casual as to wish I could be naked most of the time. I don't wear panty hose, I don't even wear socks. While cleaning out my closet (NO SMALL FEAT I CAN ASSURE YOU) I found no less then three pairs of athletic shoes that I NEVER wear because I can't stand to have my feet laced up in anything. I did however find that I have a couple pair of those footy socks, so if I should decide to wear them, they are there. One of these days when I have the money, I'm going to have a breast reduction so I don't even have to wear a bra, I swear.

While I was in London with my family, I was fortunate to be able to get an appointment with the man who did the Princess of Wales hair. He made my sad fine hair look just like hers and I happened to be wearing my tweedy outfit from Scotland.

Is this old age or change in life circumstance? I no longer go to church, my Fathers funeral did me on on that kind of gathering. I live in Florida now where my "uniform" is shorts and a t-shirt and a pair of sandals if I must.

MY DREAM would be to own my own island and be able to be naked all the time. Think of the tan I could build up. It would be amazing.

Funnily enough I have saved some of my old clothes and my daughter is getting to the size she can wear some of the. I have an outfit that is almost exactly like one that The Princess of Wales wore on her honeymoon in Scotland. My parents purchased it for me while they were there on a golfing holiday. I hope to squeeze my daughter into it one day and take her picture.

I still want to look nice and be pretty but I can't remember the last time I put on makeup. I keep my nails trimmed and filed but I don't paint them anymore. I do however paint my toe nails since I am always in sandals.

Has anyone else gone through this change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 03:23 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times
I've gone thru a different kind of metamorphosis. I've always been trendy but about four years ago I swore of fads for good and now I stick with very glamorous forties fifties attire or tailored things that never go out of style. I wear makeup everywhere but I have a different look for day and night. I love cat-eye sunglasses and big silver hoop earrings. I feel like I finally FOUND my style.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I've gone thru a different kind of metamorphosis. I've always been trendy but about four years ago I swore of fads for good and now I stick with very glamorous forties fifties attire or tailored things that never go out of style. I wear makeup everywhere but I have a different look for day and night. I love cat-eye sunglasses and big silver hoop earrings. I feel like I finally FOUND my style.
That does sound really cool. I love the looks of the 40s and 50s. There is a catalog I get from the UK that has really wonderful clothes in the style you speak of but can't recall the name.

Boden USA Online Clothes Shop & Mail Order Clothing Catalogue. (http://www.bodenusa.com/default.asp?strShortKey=WMAR&cm_mmc=LSUS-_-Sp08-_-250x250-_-81a022_10fsr_250x250&cid - broken link)=

Here is a link to their website. I LOVE their stuff. Their winter things are MORE pronounced in the 40-50s styling.

I think in general my style has become more unstructured, ALOT more casual.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:07 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times
Cool! Check out the 'Rockabilly Girls' thread for other great retro-repro links!

Old 06-17-2008, 05:35 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
I'd dress the way I used to if I could - decades ago I lived near a great thrift store that specialized in 40s clothes, particularly blouses. I had a ton of vintage silk camp shirts that I loved. The quality always amazed me - when a fabric had stripes, all the seams were perfectly aligned, and even the sleeves were set so that the stripes dovetailed.

Now, if you could find that stuff, it's be prohibitively expensive.

I find I wear casual dresses and skirts more as I get older and, since I live in a very "western" area, I've been converted to a love of pearl snap shirts. Hard to find well-made ones, though.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
when I was younger it took me 2 hours to get ready, I had 3 closets stuffed to the gills with designer clothes, dont even get me started about shoes.
Boy, have times changed! My hair is straight, and seldom sees a flat iron, it takes me 15 minutes to put on my face. Clothes? I still have a lot of nice ones, but I would really rather spend $$$ on home improvements, good wine, and wonderful meals shared with friends and family.
BTW, if you look at my pix, we were hosting a Derby party that day, hence the hat.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
when I was younger it took me 2 hours to get ready, I had 3 closets stuffed to the gills with designer clothes, dont even get me started about shoes.
Boy, have times changed! My hair is straight, and seldom sees a flat iron, it takes me 15 minutes to put on my face. Clothes? I still have a lot of nice ones, but I would really rather spend $$$ on home improvements, good wine, and wonderful meals shared with friends and family.
BTW, if you look at my pix, we were hosting a Derby party that day, hence the hat.
You are just scarey. I went the same way from spending money on clothes to spending money on things for the house.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:07 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
You are just scarey. I went the same way from spending money on clothes to spending money on things for the house.
LOL, growing up is such a b****h, aint it?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:25 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
Well - since I dont work anymore and am a SAHM I just wear jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and minimal makeup and have an easy care hairstyle - when I worked I just wore a simple dress and heels and some good jewelry - and pantyhose of course. I will eventually go back to work but I would love to be rich and live in Hawaii and just bum around in a swimsuit and flip-flops.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:06 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,414 times
For me, it has been a combination of the times changing, me getting older and me switching gears from professional career woman (CPA firm) to SAHM. I was never a clothes horse, though. Honestly, as long as I was decent, I've never really given two hoots about fashion. Of course, in my corporate days, I adhered to the dress code but never went for designer looks. Make-up and hair were done enough to be presentable.

Fashion and all it entails has never had any appeal for me. I've never understood the fascination/obsession some women have with shoes . More than 4 pair and my head starts to spin! For me, I wore/wear what is needed and that's about it, I'm on to other things. I'd far rather spend time and money on my family than to spend time shopping for clothes. Maybe it's because I don't think anything looks good on me .

My basic uniform now is jeans (not designer), polos and slip on shoes. Slip on because I slip them off the moment I go inside (I LOVE being in sockfeet!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty