Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:12 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,511 times

Advertisements

Start with the eyebrows- if anything, I would suggest getting them trimmed and shaped (not necessarily tweezed) but great eyebrows and clear skin make a great face in my opinion--even if you wear nothing else at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 AM

681 posts, read 2,359,716 times
I want to start by saying that you don't need to do a full-face of makeup if it's not your style. Several reasons I say this is because you'll have to invest in all that makeup and it's probably not going to be used after the big event. Buying at the drugstore is much less expensive than shopping at the department store, but even then drugstore prices for one of everything can cost a lot too. At department store prices, the price of all that makeup could easily be the same as the cost of an evening dress and at the drugstore, a pair of shoes.

Okay, back to lessons.

If you want to take lessons at a counter, figure out what you want to perfect before you go, such as how to perfect your skin, or do a basic, beautiful eye. There is a lot to learn if you try to do everything at once at the counters, and this can create a type of confusion and resignation that leads you to buy your whole look there. If you keep it simple and focused, you'll be less overwhelmed and a bit more confident to shop elsewhere for what you need. Also, go during the week when it's not too busy. Weekend artists tend to be hit with more customers and you don't want a rush-job. It's good to bring a picture to help articulate what type of look you're interested in too. You could also try having a counter do your makeup the evening of the big event. I don't like to recommend this because I had a lot of prom girls come to the YSL counter I worked at only for the purpose of getting pretty for that night. No big sales there *sigh*, but it is a dirty trick if you want to pretty up for cheap.

For the record, I own a lot of high-end makeup as well as drugstore products. High-end is fabulous stuff, but much of what's in the drugstore is also excellent too. A $27 mascara is gorgeous but I'm rocking a $6.99 one from Maybelline and it gives me the most beautiful lashes! But I'll never part with my Laura Mercier lipsticks and glosses - I really love the feel and look. Bottom line, buy what you are really impressed with and if the purchase makes sense in your budget and expected uses in the future.

Another suggestion - check out the bookstores for beauty books that offer a wide range of looks. Bobbi Brown, Trish McEvoy come to mind immediately. Their books give advice for looks that are clean and simple all the way up to full glam. Bring a tablet and take notes for what you will need. Also books aren't there to pressure you into buying unneeded items. You might be able to find books like these at your local library, as well.

And last - you could always book a salon to do your makeup. It can get pricey and you won't walk away with products, but the option is out there.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:51 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Default No pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Thanks for all the advice! Someone at my job told me Ulta is a good place to try so i'm going to swing by there on Saturday. The event isn't until August 16th so I think by then I should have a handle on it.

Ok...you have 15 days...what have you learned???

Old 08-01-2008, 12:02 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Ok...you have 15 days...what have you learned???
To call my friend who does this for a living when someone suggested the photography I was like "I have a friend who's a professional photographer." She and her husband have a studio where they do glamour shots and she pretty much does all the hair and makeup. So I took the easy way out - when I went to Ulta they tried to push almost $300 worth of stuff on me - to bring out my eyes, accent my cheekbones, make my lips fuller - those people made me feel ugly they were saying "cover your whole face"

Old 08-01-2008, 01:17 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,424 times
I actually took make up classes- but I don't use make up alot. ALOT of department store vendors will give you a makeup session free of charge. MAC and Lancome do them all the time here!!!! Good luck

Ps Whenever I want to wear make-up i usually just use a light powder for shine and wear a lip stick with a gloss on top

Old 08-01-2008, 06:11 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,560 times
Try mineral makeup...it's very flattering and practically fool proof. I buy mine in bulk (LOL!) at Ulta. They have makeup sessions to help you learn to apply it, though I learned decades ago and don't use the lessons. I just know they offer them.

The other option is going to a department store like Macy's or Dillards. The cosmetic counters have clinicians to help teach you your color pallet and complimentary techniques.

Oh, I almost forgot! If there is a Merle Norman store near you, try them too. They taught my mom how to do her makeup. She is the "lipstick and nothing else" type of person. I was impressed with her results!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:59 PM

197 posts, read 668,607 times
My advice (as a former make-up artist), don't get too creative, Go with the classy smoky eyes and nude lips, the most important step is to have a good foundation that match your skin and doesn't look cakeish.
If you don't want to spend on a make-up artist go to a specialized store or cosmetic counter (look for the sales person with the best make-up) consult w/her and buy the right products -specially the foundation and a primer product if possible.
Enjoy your party!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty