Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 08:39 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,287,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I'm still yet to see someone answer my question: why does everyone think of Europe as only Paris and London and Rome? No one in Europe dresses frumpy or in dirty clothes, eh? For those going on and on about how well-dressed the Europeans are- have ANY of you been to the Balkans or anywhere in Eastern Europe?
Even in Paris or London or Rome you will see lots of people dressed in simple, casual ways - and I don't mean tourists! Non-Europeans should really stop thinking European people were born in a fashion magazine!
I am French, and I also lived in England. I visited other European countries, especially Italy and Spain. Believe me, I saw every style possible, including casual, "American style" clothes (i.e. what many people in this thread describe as not fashionable)!

Last edited by Sudcaro; 10-07-2009 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,871,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Annika, I don't dispute your point, there are people who dress shoddily, however, in America which is supposed to be so great, I hear a lot of negatives about the way Americans are perceived in other countries.It is shaming: and years ago Walmart was not the norm....I'm not talking about the impoverished, who have no choice. I'm talking about soccer moms who wear dirty sweatshirts or halter tops size 3x,blubber hanging out, its just offensive, and over-prevalent in the US suburbs, and not in cities here.
Which U.S. suburbs are you talking about specifically?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:51 AM

4,865 posts, read 5,659,728 times
Not sure about the answer. Although when I lived in MOntreal I felt like a slob because everyone dresses so well there.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:01 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,526,859 times
This is a good thread, again if u read my earlier posts, I'm not critiquing the impoverished or working poor; I am in NE Tennessee (temporarily,lol) in a nice suburb, BUT a county away Carter Cty, is like stepping into a time warp......people wear dirty shoes(crocs), ripped and stained t-shirts and seem to never shave...the women (in their 50's) wear greasy hair to the waist line....I never saw this before but its sad and no, it doesn't represent normal suburbia....

Old 10-07-2009, 04:10 PM

This is a good thread, again if u read my earlier posts, I'm not critiquing the impoverished or working poor; I am in NE Tennessee (temporarily,lol) in a nice suburb, BUT a county away Carter Cty, is like stepping into a time warp......people wear dirty shoes(crocs), ripped and stained t-shirts and seem to never shave...the women (in their 50's) wear greasy hair to the waist line....I never saw this before but its sad and no, it doesn't represent normal suburbia....

Old 10-07-2009, 04:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,537,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree.

You can climb rickety ladders in this,

just as easily as you can in this.

Looking put together doesn't mean you have to give up comfort and functionality.
The person in the top picture doesn't look ready or willing to work.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:05 PM

Imo its a sense of pride; some americans just don't have any.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:18 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,267,668 times
I will give it my best shot and tell you what I think the problem is. I think it started sometime in the 80s or 90s. Women fought for equal rights in the 70s, the whole "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan"
thing, but then a decade or so later there was a backlash and the Mommy wars started. A lot of women gave up trying to make it in the world and started to go back home, gradually leading to a rise in Mommy Chic. I'm not sure if it is an economic thing but a lot of people in the states, married or not, kids or none, don't seem to want to go to the trouble of spending tons of money on themselves to look good past a certain age. There is a judgementalness that it should not be necessary, and if the woman does not work, she may not have any money of her own to spend, and probably has decided with her husband to spend most of the money on the kids. My sister is married, makes $25 an hour as a consultant, her husband makes good money, but does not have a pair of jeans or a wardrobe. She told me there is no way she would ever get Botox, she "would not want to take anything away from her kids". Women who spend a lot on themselves in the U.S. can be considered high maintenance and pretentious. But if you don't have a husband or kids and don't have a good look then you're a loser. It's all real hypocritical.
It does not matter how many diet books are written, Americans do not take the time to read them or to learn which ones really work, often labelling all diet books as scams. Morning TV shows are fond of bringing the fad diets on their show so they can shoot 'em down. Americans believe the only way to lose weight is to cut calories and exercise, never mind that those people are said to not have permanent results either. A few years ago there was a best seller from a French writer, French Women Don't Get Fat. No American has read it even though it was on the best seller list. The Zone, Blood Type... forget it. Even though all these diets have merit and are true in some way, the average American will tell you it's all crap and that diets don't work. In the last 25 years fat acceptance and appreciation has become the norm along with the plus size lines in almost every store. God forbid should one of these lines, such as the one at Old Navy, be pulled from the store. How fattist.

Personal style and looks are back though, and Americans are going to have to get on board. The appearance section of book stores is filled with how-to books by stylists like Rachel Zoe, Nina Garcia, Lucky magazine, Haper's Bazaar, the Who What Wear bloggers etc. I bought I Love Your Style today at Borders.
Amazon.com: I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style (9780061833120): Amanda Brooks: Books

I will be 39 next week and am much more in to clothes and looks than I used to be. I am childless but even if I had kids I would have strict dress rules. My dad was/is a clothes horse and a lifelong dieter, my mother goes to a gym and has always dressed well. I was not raised with elitist values though, and never spent much on designer stuff. My wardrobe is quite modest actually but I try to make upgrades and improvements as I am able. Life is too short to look bad!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:05 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,871,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
OK, never been there, but I agree with you, doesn't sound fit for public viewing. Maybe they are just downright poor; being fashionable is out of the question. It's a matter of survival.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:25 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,643,177 times
I think it's because dressing nice takes a long time and I'll say that most Americans are always on the run, so they slap on something quick and easy and dash out the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty