Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 10:25 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,934 times

Advertisements

Just talked to a female who was fat. Her quote seems to be the standard amongst those of overweight status:

"I hate skinny *****es".

To me that just screams self esteem issues and jealousy. Nevermind that most of those women refuse to do the simple things to get into shape - like take stairs instead of the elevator, or park that little extra away from the front door at work so you get a little bit of workout.

Then you have those ones who just have to have an SUV. Doesn't matter that they're 4'9 and weigh 90lbs.

THAT is the problem with American women in my experience - instead of getting jealous and angry, why not admit to, and fix, the underlying issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,294 times
I'll chime in with a minority-opinion. I think fashion trends and styles serve only the designers who create and sell them. Who cares if someone is wearing something "in"..? What is "in" anyway? Who has the wealth or inclination to worry about such nonsense? I don't want to replace my wardrobe every couple years due to being a slave to fashion. I'd rather spend my money on more important things, and I typically do. Teenagers/Kids may be an exception since they outgrow their clothing in one to two years anyway, but don't you think it's a waste of money to try to be hip and fashionable, to pay extra for such clothing? I do. I believe in staying fit, and being well put together in public, but going beyond that seems unjustifiable.

I've been to numerous European countries and I have seen first-hand how the stereotypes are all wrong (for citizens there, and the US). There's plenty of obesity in Europe these days. There's also a lot of unfashionably dressed people as well.

Obsession about fashion is in my opinion passe, nearly gone with the wasteful boomer-generation. I would argue that we'll see both a resurgence of comfortable past-fashions and domination by "affordable" ones in the future.

Last edited by belovenow; 06-30-2008 at 11:39 AM..

Old 06-30-2008, 03:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Can't stress this enough. One person's fashion is another's faux pas.

I'm more likely to be appalled by people who can't spell or speak their native language correctly.
Heh... I'm "definately" with you on that.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:54 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,500,550 times
Yes, Americans are fatter and sloppier - some of them anyway - but what bothers me is the terrible condition of most Europeans teeth. Dont you guys go to dentists?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:27 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
I think Europeans (men and women, BTW...the men really take care to look good...) have a longer history of fashion than we do in the US. One thing that does make me stop and ponder is that most American women make shopping an Olympic sport...and yet they wear mostly 'workout' clothes? Why? When do they wear all the stuff they shop for?? I enjoy dressing up- not heels, but I like to look nice.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,734,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I think Europeans (men and women, BTW...the men really take care to look good...) have a longer history of fashion than we do in the US. One thing that does make me stop and ponder is that most American women make shopping an Olympic sport...and yet they wear mostly 'workout' clothes? Why? When do they wear all the stuff they shop for?? I enjoy dressing up- not heels, but I like to look nice.

Well they've got a longer history period!

Old 07-01-2008, 06:40 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
One thing that does make me stop and ponder is that most American women make shopping an Olympic sport...and yet they wear mostly 'workout' clothes? Why? When do they wear all the stuff they shop for??
They do it when they clothing shop because it is much easier to take off and then put on again workout clothes (I'm assuming you mean sweatpants and sweatshirts). If you know you're going to be doing a lot of changing it makes sense to prepare for it.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:27 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
Why are Americans unfashionable compared to most European countries and Asian countries? Even in Turkey, most people follow the trends.

When I lived in the UK, everyone, including people up into their 50's followed a common type of trend. Most people looked pleasant and in style.

I know there are 5 billion more important issues than this, but what is your opinion?

My opinion: We have an attitude where we think we are too good to care what others think... which is good in some ways, however I think it's also important to follow trends or at least look presentable.

The soccer mom style has torn American fashion apart... European mothers all follow the style and you see them wearing high heels on cobblestone streets while pushing their child's stroller. Yeah, that's going a little too far, but I'm sure you smell what I'm stepping in right lol?

Also, we are one of the fattest countries in the world... and well, most obese people don't follow the trends as they don't cater to their weight... And honestly, when you're obese, you probably aren't so good looking.

When I lived in the UK, I asked people who have visited the US what was some cultural shocks they found. The main one I heard was some of the extremely obese people (they've never even seen a 300 pound person) and how so many people don't follow the fashion and look sloppy. You know... the running sneakers, husky stretchable shorts, and t-shirt.

Wow, what a fake, plastic bunch of nonsense. Maybe you need to move back to the UK, with all the crap with gas prices and everything else on the planet going up in price i'm sure we have a little more to worry about than if we're in style when we are pushing our childrens strollers. Go back to where ever it is you came from, maybe they are a little more trendy and better looking over there.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:52 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
They do it when they clothing shop because it is much easier to take off and then put on again workout clothes (I'm assuming you mean sweatpants and sweatshirts). If you know you're going to be doing a lot of changing it makes sense to prepare for it.
I mean shorts, tshirts and running shoes. To me, it's easier to take off a dress than shorts/tshirt/sweatshirt (!) when trying things on. But to each his/her own!

Old 07-01-2008, 03:31 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
Why are Americans unfashionable compared to most European countries and Asian countries? Even in Turkey, most people follow the trends.

When I lived in the UK, everyone, including people up into their 50's followed a common type of trend. Most people looked pleasant and in style.

I know there are 5 billion more important issues than this, but what is your opinion?

My opinion: We have an attitude where we think we are too good to care what others think... which is good in some ways, however I think it's also important to follow trends or at least look presentable.

The soccer mom style has torn American fashion apart... European mothers all follow the style and you see them wearing high heels on cobblestone streets while pushing their child's stroller. Yeah, that's going a little too far, but I'm sure you smell what I'm stepping in right lol?

Also, we are one of the fattest countries in the world... and well, most obese people don't follow the trends as they don't cater to their weight... And honestly, when you're obese, you probably aren't so good looking.

When I lived in the UK, I asked people who have visited the US what was some cultural shocks they found. The main one I heard was some of the extremely obese people (they've never even seen a 300 pound person) and how so many people don't follow the fashion and look sloppy. You know... the running sneakers, husky stretchable shorts, and t-shirt.

Perhaps that mother is not so selfish or into herself because she would rather do things for her kids like raising them properly? I don't know how many mothers bring their kids to nannies so they get to go shopping, attend tennis lessons, meet Fanny for lunch, go back shopping, then hit the gym and tanning salon before they pick up their precious ones at 5pm every day!

Tell you what, I have seen the same amount of good looking "obese" people as I have of the Heroin-chic models that weigh 70 pounds. What IS ugly is the tone of your shallow and pedantic post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty