Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:13 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,446 times

Advertisements

Yes, girl, I know where you are coming from.
Had acne in my late teens, and early 20's, and have some scaring from it as well.
One of the things I had to learn, was the fact to stick with ONE skin care line, instead of the mixing and matching bit.
Second...I had to "learn" on how to use a skin care regime....from cleansing, toning....to the exfoliating and moisturizing bit.....all the way to the make- up.
I've been using Mary Kay now for several years (skin care, as well as Make-up), and just recently tried out their Mineral Powder Make Up.
Unfortunately, don't I have any other product to compare it to, but, I am VERY happy with it.
It gives me very natural, and good coverage, but staying light weight and without turning into the feeling of wearing a "mask".
I have to admit, that it never really appealed to me, to fuss about with my skin, using a complete skin care line.
But, my skin evened out, my complexion got clearer, my scare less noticeable and I only (still) get the occasional pimple here and there.
The thing is, once starting out with a complete skin care line, it seems very much expensive and involving a lot of time.
However, one has to realize, the products itself last a very long time, and work hand in hand.
So, I can highly recommend Mineral Make up (Mary Kay or other brands...but, check the ingredient label on it, since you don't want to break out from it !), but also would like to encourage you to start with a complete skin care line as well...especially to target the scaring.
Your skin, especially your face, will thank you for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 08:05 AM

617 posts, read 2,072,854 times
One of the best things for scarring is helichrysum Essential Oil. It's very costly but just a drop or two in an ounce of carrier oil (jojoba works well for oily skin) is miraculous. Here is some good info about it. (I have no financial ties to the site, other than having ordered a few times.)

Pure essential oil descriptions and uses, from Nature's Gift

Old 07-04-2008, 09:57 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
I've been wearing mineral makeup (NOT the bare minerals from TV) for about five years now. I wear Aromaleigh Mineral makeup

A big difference between Bare Minerals and Aromaleigh is one specific ingredient - Bismuth Oxychloride in the Bare Escentual Minerals. For some women (like me) this ingredient can cause itching. Other women have no problem with it or only feel slight itching when they're hot and perspiring.

The primary difference between REAL mineral makeup like Bare or Aromaleigh is that the ones you see in drug stores or discount stores contain talc. Talc totally defeats the purpose of the mineral makeup. Also, if the makeup is solid, it's got extra ingredients that ought not be in a real mineral makeup.

Besides looking at review sites, go to the company sites and check out the ingredients in each product. Compare Bare and Aromaleigh ingredients to the ones you find in stores. With mineral makeup, fewer ingredients is better. You can see Aromaleigh ingredients here for comparison. No talc.
All of the store brands say "with real minerals"... they're not really mineral makeup. If you read the label Talc is the first ingredient. Not only do they feel like powder on your skin, it breaks my face out...

Did you know that Avon has just introduced a 100% mineral product? I've not tried it or read their ingredients but it SAYS it's 100% mineral... and the price it right.

I plan to check it out when it run out!

Old 07-05-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
All of the store brands say "with real minerals"... they're not really mineral makeup. If you read the label Talc is the first ingredient. Not only do they feel like powder on your skin, it breaks my face out...

Did you know that Avon has just introduced a 100% mineral product? I've not tried it or read their ingredients but it SAYS it's 100% mineral... and the price it right.

I plan to check it out when it run out!
Right. When the big name brands saw "mineral" makeup getting popular, they decided to capitalize on it by using the buzz word. That doesn't mean it's real mineral makeup, though.

Here are Avon's ingredients, per their website (no talc, btw).

MICA
TITANIUM DIOXIDE
KAOLIN
ZINC PCA
SODIUM HYALURONATE
SODIUM PCA
LECITHIN
UREA
C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE
SILICA DIMETHYL SILYLATE
WATER/EAU
LAURYL PCA
TREHALOSE
ASCORBYL PALMITATE
ATELOCOLLAGEN
PHENYL TRIMETHICONE
BETA-CAROTENE
POLYQUATERNIUM-51
RETINYL PALMITATE
SODIUM CHONDROITIN SULFATE
TOCOPHEROL
NYLON-12
METHYLPARABEN
PROPYLPARABEN

MAY CONTAIN:

IRON OXIDES
BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE

Old 07-05-2008, 12:35 PM

How can they call that 100% Mineral???

Come on, Avon... !

I just googled Mary Kay's ingredients and apparently, TALC is the first ingredient...

They just don't get it!

Old 07-05-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
How can they call that 100% Mineral???

Come on, Avon... !

I just googled Mary Kay's ingredients and apparently, TALC is the first ingredient...

They just don't get it!

I'm not surprised. I do give Avon credit for not basing it on talc, though. Most of the others did.

If you want to know what all that stuff is, here's a quick break down.

KAOLIN - clay (mineral)
SODIUM HYALURONATE - moisturizer
SODIUM PCA - humectant
LECITHIN - emulsifyer
UREA - preservative
C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE - emollient ester, light conditioning
SILICA DIMETHYL SILYLATE - slip and suspending agent
WATER/EAU - Water
LAURYL PCA - humectant, conditioning
TREHALOSE - humectant, moisturizing
ASCORBYL PALMITATE - Vitamin C
ATELOCOLLAGEN - Skin conditioning
PHENYL TRIMETHICONE - condtioning polymer
BETA-CAROTENE - conditioning, color additive
POLYQUATERNIUM-51 - Film forming
RETINYL PALMITATE - conditioning
SODIUM CHONDROITIN SULFATE - Anti-static, conditioning
TOCOPHEROL - Vitamin E
NYLON-12 - Bulking Agent, Opacifying Agent, Viscosity Controlling
METHYLPARABEN - Presevative
PROPYLPARABEN- Preservative

Old 07-05-2008, 05:21 PM

They've added all of the things you find in makeup... and the exact stuff you are trying to avoid when you purchase "Mineral Makeup".

After all these years of selling MAKEUP - I'm sure they think they know more... or maybe it's just that all these additives are just cheap fillers!

I bought my first Mineral Makeup on Ebay a couple of years ago and it was really good. There are so many selling on there these days that I would have no confidence that it would be any different than all of these bad imitations.

You can tell such a difference in real mineral makeup and these cheap imitations. The real Mineral Makeup feels good on your face! I don't like the "shiny" stuff though... they need to work on a more matt finish.... IMHO

Old 07-05-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
They've added all of the things you find in makeup... and the exact stuff you are trying to avoid when you purchase "Mineral Makeup".

After all these years of selling MAKEUP - I'm sure they think they know more... or maybe it's just that all these additives are just cheap fillers!

I bought my first Mineral Makeup on Ebay a couple of years ago and it was really good. There are so many selling on there these days that I would have no confidence that it would be any different than all of these bad imitations.

You can tell such a difference in real mineral makeup and these cheap imitations. The real Mineral Makeup feels good on your face! I don't like the "shiny" stuff though... they need to work on a more matt finish.... IMHO
It's the Bismuth Oxychloride that makes it shiny. Try Aromaleigh. It's matte.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:42 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
It's the Bismuth Oxychloride that makes it shiny. Try Aromaleigh. It's matte.
I've been browsing the website and the Aromaleigh looks affordable enough for me to try it.

I'm way confused on what I need to buy though, even after reading the FAQs!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,627 times
oo its so nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty