Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:19 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Doesn't bother me. I'd never let a little nasal discomfort come between me and a good hug from a friend or family member.

Live and let live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I never hug anyone but my husband and kids.
Bummer. I'm sorry for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 07:57 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Smelling strong perfume can be worse than smelling BO ! Also I wouldn't go around hugging strangers, You can get cooties from hugging a dirty person. Heck I don't like to shake hands anymore.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:58 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
I carry a mini bottle of febreeze in my car for those very reasons. In fact, everyone in my office complains about this one guy who wears tons of cologne. Never mind hugging, if he walks into your space, he'll leave his scent behind. It's funny because I've had 4 people tell me (on separate occassions) that this guy reeks but no one wants to confront him about it. I asked him, what was he wearing- he replied "Cool Water". So I said "Mmmm smells great, but it's a bit strong, can you tone it down a bit?" This was 2 months ago when he first started. Has anything changed? Not at all. I really wonder if he has a nasal problem or something.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:25 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
My husband's stepmother wears perfume so strong that she has turned me off to Beautiful, formerly something I have liked! She sent me a gift box with it, but all I could do was look at it and remember her smell. She'd spray it on so strong that she left a cloud of it in the bathroom. And then we have to sit with her in the car on a 4 hour trip! Ugh! I regifted it to my Mom!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:50 PM

337 posts, read 1,431,805 times
I am one of those people that have a particular sensitivity to strong perfume as well. Once I was sitting in a very tight little waiting room waiting to see a dental surgeon and there were only 3 of us in the room. Me, and two other (very large) women who were wearing enough perfume to choke a horse and they wer both chewing spearmint gum on top of it. Can we just say ..."BAD combination"????

Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Or shake hands. That's really bad, because if it's a business situation, there's no tactful way to wipe your hands off. I head right for the bathroom and scrub. WHYYYYY do people wear such heavy perfume/cologne????

Old 07-03-2008, 07:12 AM

333 posts, read 1,063,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I carry a mini bottle of febreeze in my car for those very reasons. In fact, everyone in my office complains about this one guy who wears tons of cologne. Never mind hugging, if he walks into your space, he'll leave his scent behind. It's funny because I've had 4 people tell me (on separate occassions) that this guy reeks but no one wants to confront him about it. I asked him, what was he wearing- he replied "Cool Water". So I said "Mmmm smells great, but it's a bit strong, can you tone it down a bit?" This was 2 months ago when he first started. Has anything changed? Not at all. I really wonder if he has a nasal problem or something.
Perfume and cologne should be BANNED in an office building! It's simply not fair to impose your entire bottle of perfume on everyone else every day. Cubicles are not walls...we smell EVERYTHING! There is a lady in my office who's scent lingers for at LEAST 10 minutes after she's gone. I can always tell where she's been! Grosssssssssssssss...

Old 07-03-2008, 09:08 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,148 times
Oh man ssg .. I'm with you on that!

I don't like perfume or colognes either, and it really irks me after a quick hug, of friends or family, that I have to run around the rest of the day with some offensive scent that I can't seem to get rid no matter how much I try to rub it off.

Even worse, is going into a store and 'tasting' the perfume in the air .. either from people spraying it around or wearing too much. Instant nausea.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:46 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Oh man ssg .. I'm with you on that!

I don't like perfume or colognes either, and it really irks me after a quick hug, of friends or family, that I have to run around the rest of the day with some offensive scent that I can't seem to get rid no matter how much I try to rub it off.

Even worse, is going into a store and 'tasting' the perfume in the air .. either from people spraying it around or wearing too much. Instant nausea.
Exactly, walking down the grocery aisle when nobody's there and still smelling some god-awful cheap cologne. Usually musk.

I wear cologne, never to work, & never over-powering. By the time I get to where I'm going, it's mostly worn off. Don't know why I even bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty