Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:58 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
I'll stand alone and admit I'd try it. I love any kind of foot pampering and fish don't creep me out. I probably wouldn't pay for it but I'd accept a gift certificate.
You're not standing alone anymore. I'd try it too, but only if someone gave me a gift certificate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:35 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,414 times
I first saw the foot fish a week or so ago on I Survived a Japanese Gameshow (a fish foot pedicure was a prize) and I thought, hmmmm, interesting. Then, this week, suddenly, it made the news here in the States. Now everyone's talking about the foot fish.

Personally, I'd be so worried about stepping on a fish (they're so tiny!) and getting fishguts on my feet I'd never be able to relax . Plus, the whole concept of any critter feasting on my dead skin gives me the creeps.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:23 PM

874 posts, read 3,679,726 times
I cant believe this is legal..

Old 07-25-2008, 08:07 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
Well, I wouldn't pay for it but I'd do it.
I think it will catch on, actually....I think it makes a lot of sense...and this will probably help diabetic people care for their feet, also.

I imagine the medical community will take note of this; I see the value more to them, than the cosmetic industry.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:28 PM

681 posts, read 2,359,887 times
I would totally do this! Fish food is flaky, my feet are flaky...win win!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:04 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
I've seen this used before for a skin condition- I don't think this is a new concept. I forget where I saw it but there was a documentary about people being treated for a certain skin condition and the fish would eat the flaking, peeling skin. I don't think there's anything weird about it. As long as they can't transfer any diseases to me then it's a great deal for everyone.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:44 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
I realize this practice has been banned in some states, but does anyone know of a spa offering fish pedicures in the Southeast region of the USA? I would love to find one near Upstate South Carolina or south-central Pennsylvania. Such places are still wildly popular in Europe and Asia.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:04 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I strikes me as sort of cruel to the fish.

It gives them something (well, a LOT, actually) to eat, that would otherwise be wasted, I guess.

They probably don't live long in that environment.

Maybe. They seem to live a rather long time, considering I saw some VERY big ones when in SE Asia and seeing people do it.

After the initial ick reaction, I'm thinking this makes sense, but it bet it would take a long time for a bunch of little fish to gobble up all the junk on someone's feet.

15 minutes.

I've actually done this, and after I got over the initial tickling sensation (it's a LOT of little fish, that can't actually hurt you) my feet felt REALLY soft. It's a very popular, touristy thing to do when one is in Siem Reap, Cambodia, visiting to see Angkor Wat temple (largest temple complex in the world, I believe). You spend all day walking around in sandals or socks that get all sweaty and nasty and it feels WONDERFUL afterwards.

Like I said, though, it tickles a LOT. I was very nearly kicking the little fish out of the water when they were doing it (eating dead skin off the feet). The most I can liken it to is a hundred kittens licking each foot.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:16 PM

22,855 posts, read 6,437,988 times
If it tickles it's not for me, I can't even get a pedicure...

Old 05-30-2011, 04:32 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Been nibbled on by fish but I didn't pay to get it done. Grew up going to lakes and ponds to swim and had little fish nibble at my feet. That's not bad bit the one thing that makes you jump is being around those little fish while skinnydipping! She and I both agree there are some places on the human body a fish doesn't need to nibble on! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty