Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:16 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Some of my favorite vintage stuff was handed down to me.
My mother in law left me some beautiful opal jewelry (we shared the same birthday.)

My grandmother, who was quite the flapper, left me a dropdead gorgeous knee-length pink floral chiffon dress; it was what she wore at her engagement party in 1926. She and I were very much the same size and body type, though I am a bit taller. She also left me several pairs of gloves, most of which unfortunately are a size too small, and this embroidered silk brocade "bedjacket" which is falling apart so I just keep it on a padded hanger.

My wedding dress, cream silk and silk georgette, tea-length with 3/4 sleeves, was my mom's dress, it fit perfectly even though I am a couple inches taller than she was.
Maybe it's the size-change thing--dunno.
Mmmmm--just reading the descriptions gives me a warm glow.

Remember the scene in 'Sleepless in Seattle' when Meg Ryan tries on her Mother's wedding gown? That was a beautiful dress --satin, long sleeved with so many buttons.

I want a dropped waist dress--maybe I will be getting married before I am 80--anyway--the tea length dresses with beadwork and embellishments that I cannot describe are what always catches my eye. Not exactly 'ivory' but not really white either.

I have a velvet jacket that my mother wore. It has narrow shoulders so I can only 'look' at it. I have her costume jewelry--and it does accent an outfit well.

My grandmother crocheted collars and I have several of those. And the other handwork they did--incredible--the delicate and precise stitches--ie tatting. I think you use a tiny little crochet hook and cotton thread--not an easy thing to do.

And the quilts--they are works of art. My grandparents owned a farm during the Depression so I suppose clothes were secondary to more pratical things made from fabric. LOL--If you knew my Grandmother that is an understatement. I think they sometimes used flour sacks --my cousin and I played dress up in the attic and found all kinds of pictures. Nothing was ever wasted, I have no doubt of that.

My mother still has suitcases with fabric that could come in handy...cough. I do, too. We are packrats, there is no cure.

I was browsing a thrift store this past weekend and found a green dress/evening dress--not exactly vintage but it is going to be fun--what I have planned for this dress. I have a Big Birthday coming in September and growing up in Atlanta--everybody read GWTW and Scarlett O'Hara's green dress is famous. So, I found a dark green gown and I plan to put my hair up find some dark green long gloves and go have my picture taken--probably by my friend who thinks I am insane but will go along with this. I have some necklaces--must find the perfect one and the earrings.
I should add the curtain rods like Carol Burnett- maybe I will --take one serious pic and one fun one.
Maybe one of the Rhett's around here will take me out to dinner--not holding my breath. Scoundrels--that is what we have in Atlanta, GA.

21st century--and I can take myself to dinner as well as my friend who is days older--ha ha.

TakeAhike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 01:28 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I think that this thread is morphing into one about favorite clothes seen in movies! I would like to find the paisley scarf skirt that Nicole Kidman wore in Practical Magic. Then I love all the Egyptian gowns in the Brendan Frasier Mummy movies.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:10 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
<snip>

I was browsing a thrift store this past weekend and found a green dress/evening dress--not exactly vintage but it is going to be fun--what I have planned for this dress. I have a Big Birthday coming in September and growing up in Atlanta--everybody read GWTW and Scarlett O'Hara's green dress is famous. So, I found a dark green gown and I plan to put my hair up find some dark green long gloves and go have my picture taken--probably by my friend who thinks I am insane but will go along with this. I have some necklaces--must find the perfect one and the earrings.
I should add the curtain rods like Carol Burnett- maybe I will --take one serious pic and one fun one.
Maybe one of the Rhett's around here will take me out to dinner--not holding my breath. Scoundrels--that is what we have in Atlanta, GA.

21st century--and I can take myself to dinner as well as my friend who is days older--ha ha.

TakeAhike
Nothing insane about that at all! Of course, GWTW is my favorite book, my favorite movie, since I was about 7 or 8 years old.

I have, somewhere, a pattern for the "BBQ dress" from the movie... never actually had the dress made though.

As for coats, I forgot to mention a coat I had that belonged to my Grandmother... it was a 40's (?? maybe 50's but I doubt) calf-length fitted black crushed velvet coat with wide bell sleeves and frog buttons with a rhinestone button up top. Absolutely stunning.. by Givenchy.. and it fit me before kids. I used to wear it ALL THE TIME, with fishnets and combat boots.

Later on I sold it on ebay. Made me sad but I was never going to fit into it again and I wanted it to go to someone who could appreciate it.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:04 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
I would love to see that coat.

Just watched a couple of Katherine Hepburn films--she could wear the great clothes. The legs of course were made for the pants with pockets. I watch "I Love Lucy" reruns for the clothes. Lucille Ball had some great clothes and wore them well.

I will let you know how my green dress adventure turns out. When I was in 7th grade we had a costume party. I had just read GWTW and my parents took me to the Fox for an anniversary premiere. They remembered the original--might have stood along Peachtree Street to catch of glimpse of Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable--everybody did. So it was a big deal in my life to go to the Fox and see the film. I went as Scarlett to the 7th grade party. We found a blue dress that required a hoop and long gloves and I put my hair up. After a rather 'rough' year of not fitting in with the popular kids--it was really great to have some positive feedback. I remember dancing the Virginia Reel.

Anyway--I saw this great dark green dress and just had to take it home with me.

I try on a lot of clothes--that helps some.

I came of age in the 60's and wore the Villager shirts and skirts, Bass Weejuns and made that sort of wardrobe. Then came the 70's --granny dresses, the lace up boots, hotpants and vinyl boots and bell bottoms, the imported cotton shirts and macrame vests. The glorious 80's--the shoulder pads and dress for success suits--I wore it all. Somewhere in the 90's the clothes began to look once again like the 70's clothes and I haven't been unhappy. Lately I have acquired some rather stylish tops and a few interesting dresses and jackets which will be good in the fall. The fabrics set these garments apart--that is what will make them fun to wear.

My best outfit ever was my 'Friday Night going to the bar' outfit, winter version. Brown velvet bell bottom pants a sparkly top of some kind and a brown velvet jacket. I felt great in this and that is what clothing should do for you in/at any age.

LOL--I have to work on a skirt tonight. Why they made skirts almost floor length is something I don't understand. Perhaps the average woman is 4 inches taller and that makes a difference. Anyway said skirt is going to lose 4" and I think it will be fine.

TakeAhike

Old 08-11-2008, 09:10 PM

170 posts, read 893,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Ahhh... one of my first eBay purchases was an Edwardian corset that was actually MY SIZE!

Of course it was too fragile to really wear but it was MY SIZE and I was so excited. I ended up selling it a few months later and that's what started the whole eBay buying/selling thing for me in earnest.
OMG you were so lucky

I've got my eye on one right now but I suspect it will end up being over $350. I got a truly beautiful mantle with French jet and soft, soft beautiful Chantilly lace over silk on eBay at the end of last year. I don't have a picture of the entire mantle but this is a close-up of the back and another of some of the lace and silk. For a garment that's over a hundred years old it's in wonderful condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Fashion Afficiandos Wanted-p1020304.jpg   Vintage Fashion Afficiandos Wanted-p1020295.jpg   Vintage Fashion Afficiandos Wanted-p1020308.jpg  

Last edited by brokendolly; 08-11-2008 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: changing the way the pictures are attached

Old 05-12-2009, 05:18 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
I have some vintage clothing from the 40's, because I love to get dressed up 40's style and go lindy hoppin' and swing dancing! I've mostly had to resew over a lot of the seams though to make sure they hold. I have a whole bunch of vintage patterns from the 40's for all kinds of things - pants, tops, skirts, suits, dresses, robes - you name it. I make new clothes from these patterns. Sometimes I find a vintage fabric, but usually I just have something nice I bought from Joanne or some other fabric store. I love my vintage looking 40's stuff! Oh, and I do have vintage shoes (40's) I bought off Ebay too.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I have some vintage clothing from the 40's, because I love to get dressed up 40's style and go lindy hoppin' and swing dancing! I've mostly had to resew over a lot of the seams though to make sure they hold. I have a whole bunch of vintage patterns from the 40's for all kinds of things - pants, tops, skirts, suits, dresses, robes - you name it. I make new clothes from these patterns. Sometimes I find a vintage fabric, but usually I just have something nice I bought from Joanne or some other fabric store. I love my vintage looking 40's stuff! Oh, and I do have vintage shoes (40's) I bought off Ebay too.

I used to go Lindy hopping and swing dancing all the time! Unfortunately, my partner found a girlfriend so he doesn't have time for me anymore It's hard to find a solid dance partner when you're 6'4 in heels He was 6'8.

Have you been to the website A Daddy-O's- bowling shirts, rockabilly, swing, retro shirts, lounge clothing and 50's clothes and dresses. I LOVE their dresses and it's one of the very few places where I can buy something online and I know it will fit, every time. Plus, I modeled for them once... see if you can find me

Old 05-12-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I used to go Lindy hopping and swing dancing all the time! Unfortunately, my partner found a girlfriend so he doesn't have time for me anymore It's hard to find a solid dance partner when you're 6'4 in heels He was 6'8.

Have you been to the website A Daddy-O's- bowling shirts, rockabilly, swing, retro shirts, lounge clothing and 50's clothes and dresses. I LOVE their dresses and it's one of the very few places where I can buy something online and I know it will fit, every time. Plus, I modeled for them once... see if you can find me
Yes - that site is on my 'Favorites' on my computer. I'll see if I can spot you. Hold on - I'll get back to you in a sec ......

Old 05-12-2009, 06:25 PM

Is this you?

Daddy O's Gifts & Collectibles

I tried to look for someone with dark brown hair, green eyes and tall, but ca't really tell who's tall or who has green eyes. But they're all extremely pretty!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Is this you?

Daddy O's Gifts & Collectibles

I tried to look for someone with dark brown hair, green eyes and tall, but ca't really tell who's tall or who has green eyes. But they're all extremely pretty!
I should have actually looked through the site..haha. There used to be a black cherry printed dress on there that I modeled for them, but it looks as though they took it down. Bummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty