Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:37 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,405,366 times

Advertisements

One of my better obsessions is Vintage Fashions--20's, 30's, 40's and so on and so forth. I know I should have been 'born' in this fashion period--love the clothes, shoes and accessories. 'Great Gatsby'--Mia Farrow as Daisy--has any woman ever looked better, well, yes of course but she did wear the clothes well. LOL--Thinking what if Britney or Lindsay tried to remake that film--they just couldn't.

Here's what I found>>>

Posh Vintage>>
Posh Vintage: elegant vintage clothes, shoes, handbags and more!

--La Belle Helene>>
http://tinyurl.com/66e4y7 (broken link)

Vintage Pastiche>>
http://tinyurl.com/673x6g (broken link)

Thimble Arts and Crafts>>
http://tinyurl.com/6klnck (broken link)

STYLAHOLIC>>
http://tinyurl.com/5pfljh (broken link)

Do you own 'Vintage' clothing? What do you have?

I have a 'fascimile' of a flapper dress --rummaged around a clearance rack and have been 'losing a little weight' in order to find an occasion to wear it. I have 'Old' accessories--nothing valuable. I love the slide bracelets and would really like to have a 'real one'. The new ones can be expensive I noticed. Add a slide with jewels for every special occasion and you would end up with a bracelet that might be best kept in a safe deposit box.

When I worked in retail I browsed the jewelry counters and IIRC, '1928' does reproductions of antique??20's, 30's, 40's jewelry. I have a few pieces of this line and they have held up well for over 3 decades.

My 'Best' piece is a pin I found at a craft show. A lady wearing a rhinestone flapper hat. The face is porcelain and they did a nice job on the features. I wear her now and then. I actually have quite a collection of costume jewelry--which I don't wear much anymore. There was a time when I didn't leave the house without a necklace or two and several bracelets--that seems to be how people remember me--'You are the one that always had a necklace and bracelet'. Yes, that would be me...I plan to start wearing my 'Jewels' again--it is Fun and I cannot part with anything. I started early--someone gave me a jewelry box and I spent hours just looking at my treasures. Still do and sometimes I enjoy spending hours looking at other's treasures. Pretty. D

TakeAhike

Last edited by TakeAhike; 08-08-2008 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 04:48 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,013,751 times
You know, I think Britney or Lindsey (red-haired) would look great in some 60 inspired looks

www.modelsblog.info/.../3011_twiggy_repl64.jpg (broken link)

http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/images_pop/twiggy_2.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
One of my better obsessions is Vintage Fashions--20's, 30's, 40's and so on and so forth. I know I should have been 'born' in this fashion period--love the clothes, shoes and accessories. 'Great Gatsby'--Mia Farrow as Daisy--has any woman ever looked better, well, yes of course but she did wear the clothes well. LOL--Thinking what if Britney or Lindsay tried to remake that film--they just couldn't.

Here's what I found>>>

Posh Vintage>>
Posh Vintage: elegant vintage clothes, shoes, handbags and more!

--La Belle Helene>>
http://tinyurl.com/66e4y7 (broken link)

Vintage Pastiche>>
http://tinyurl.com/673x6g (broken link)

Thimble Arts and Crafts>>
http://tinyurl.com/6klnck (broken link)

STYLAHOLIC>>
Google Image Result for http://bp1.blogger.com/_ZjLrL6_6XwE/R1A9Ze2Sx0I/AAAAAAAAAdI/Dw4fL4a4jeo/s1600-R/Posh30sGown.jpg

Old 08-08-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
You know, I think Britney or Lindsey (red-haired) would look great in some 60 inspired looks

www.modelsblog.info/.../3011_twiggy_repl64.jpg (broken link)

http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/images_pop/twiggy_2.jpg (broken link)
Lindsay could actually have any look she wanted--she has 'good bones'--I like her style but wonder what in the "H" is wrong with her? Time to cut the crap out. But, she is Lindsay/Lindsey--is it true that she is now a lesbian? Faux lesbian--like that Seinfeld episode--George girlfriend found a woman after George acted like a ****.

Britney--yes, please give her a call and help her find some sort of interesting style. 60's/Twiggy clothes--Andy Warhol designs--the British thing--that would be a refreshing change. Posh, of Posh and Becks, should make a house call. The woman is bizarre but she has some great clothes. It is her duty as a neighbor to try to help Brit-Brit. jmo.

Gwyneth should try to help Britney, too. That woman knows what to wear.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:55 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,258,066 times
I love vintage, but what's out there is always too small for me. I haven't worn true vintage since before I had kids and was still in single digit sizes.

I love 30s, 40's, and 50's but had quite a few vintage 60's pieces back then... mostly hot pants and halters.

I lived vicariously through my buyers for years by selling vintage on eBay. I got to hunt it down, play with it, drool over it, photograph it, and then make someone else happy by shipping it to them. I still have one piece I haven't sold yet but plan on doing soon... it's a gorgeous 30's butterfly sleeve black crepe evening / cocktail dress with hand sewn sequin details. Just lovely. Oh and I do have the one vintage piece I found that was my size... a 30's bias cut rayon nightgown with lace trim. I love the way it hugs my curves!

I've said for years that I should learn to sew so I could have my own, if not true vintage, at least reproduction fashions... but it's still on my list of things to do!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I love vintage, but what's out there is always too small for me. I haven't worn true vintage since before I had kids and was still in single digit sizes.

I love 30s, 40's, and 50's but had quite a few vintage 60's pieces back then... mostly hot pants and halters.

I lived vicariously through my buyers for years by selling vintage on eBay. I got to hunt it down, play with it, drool over it, photograph it, and then make someone else happy by shipping it to them. I still have one piece I haven't sold yet but plan on doing soon... it's a gorgeous 30's butterfly sleeve black crepe evening / cocktail dress with hand sewn sequin details. Just lovely. Oh and I do have the one vintage piece I found that was my size... a 30's bias cut rayon nightgown with lace trim. I love the way it hugs my curves!

I've said for years that I should learn to sew so I could have my own, if not true vintage, at least reproduction fashions... but it's still on my list of things to do!
Mmmm--what a good job or hobby. I go and look all the time. I'm in Atlanta and there are many places to browse. 'Recycled' clothing is 'In'. Down in Little 5 Points/the Funky part of town there are several shops and in VA Highland --if I had an unlimited bank account I would have a wonderful collection.

Yes--a butterfly sleeve dress is a prize. I can 'almost' wear some of the ?40's?, they look like dresses my mother made and wore, styles. But --tiny--those women were so small. Tiny hands and feet. I can't wear any of the gloves that I would love to buy. Some bracelets are too small, too and necklaces.

I am not a large woman--5'3 and about 20 lbs more than I should be--typically a size 8/10 in good clothes but I suppose I have a large neck and rather broad shoulders for my size. LOL--the waists--I am working on mine but I guess they stayed fit with all the housework and swing dancing?

That is what I am going to do next--swing dancing. A good reason to own and wear the vintage clothes and it looks like so much fun.

I haven't gone over board but one thing I can wear is the hats. Such incredible hats.

I loved Annette Bening's wardrobe in 'Being Julia'-> http://www.cinescene.com/dash/images/BeingJulia2.jpg

Of course, I think she is beautiful and has a great body for wearing beautiful clothes. Her wardrobe in 'Bugsy' won an Oscar, IIRC and the dress she wore to seduce 'Ben'/Warren was incredible--I think that was the 30's--gangsters and Las Vegas was founded?

I have spent hours Googling vintage clothing. I found a designer in Wales that makes some of the most unusual--light, airy evening gowns. I would love to have an occasion for such a gown. If I got anywhere near the shop I would probably buy one and just keep it to look at whenever I wanted. I consider clothing to be an art form when done well.

I am getting back into my sewing mode--I never made anything really 'Good' but it helps me to 'Create'. I did make some very stylish doll clothes in my day. Amazing what you can do with scarves. Those dolls were ready for the Runway.

I will never 'Get Over' my love of clothes and fabric. It is a great passion and I enjoy it.

TakeAhike

Old 08-08-2008, 10:47 PM

170 posts, read 891,382 times
I have a couple of pieces of vintage clothing but they are from the Victorian and Edwardian period. I also commissioned a black Victorian riding jacket style jacket from the Natural Form period. I'm still looking for the perfect white linen summer Edwardian dress.

People keep out bidding me on eBay.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokendolly View Post
I have a couple of pieces of vintage clothing but they are from the Victorian and Edwardian period. I also commissioned a black Victorian riding jacket style jacket from the Natural Form period. I'm still looking for the perfect white linen summer Edwardian dress.

I was posting in a forum with a woman with great style and she was planning to wear white linen to a wedding in Miami. I picture her as a 'Daisy'--I'll bet she looked 'Fabulous'.

LOL--for my friend's/and my own 60 b'day this September I found a great card.
There are 3 of us in our 'Circle'--known each other for several decades. In our 30's we snickered at the 'Golden Girls'--and taunted each other about which character we would become. Well, time flew and here we are--the card shows 3 'Ladies' in swimsuits--very much like the Golden Girls and I plan to label each lady and then 'duck and run'. My friend was always the 'Sex Fiend'--forget her name. I guess I was/am Betty White--who in real life has a touch of the cynic--which I approve of. And our other friend is Bea Arthur's character. Strange that I cannot remember their names?

Anyway--I will not wear the FL clothes, ever. I will find some Vintage-like clothing and wear that to my grave. :~D

TakeAhike

Old 08-10-2008, 03:33 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,258,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokendolly View Post

Ahhh... one of my first eBay purchases was an Edwardian corset that was actually MY SIZE!

Of course it was too fragile to really wear but it was MY SIZE and I was so excited. I ended up selling it a few months later and that's what started the whole eBay buying/selling thing for me in earnest.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:55 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,692,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Do you own 'Vintage' clothing? What do you have?
About 20 years ago I picked up a black wraparound wool coat at Goodwill -- 3/4 length, cuffed sleeves, rhinestone buttons at the shoulders. My mom had some elbow-length gloves from her elegant young lady days in the early 50s, and donated them to the cause. I've got other pair of gloves, hats etc. picked up at Goodwill over the years.

At some garage sales I picked up old patterns. Haven't used them yet, but I have discovered how sizes have changed! A size 14 in the 50s is about a size 6 or 8 now. We certainly don't want to damage our fragile body images, do we?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:03 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,896,426 times
Some of my favorite vintage stuff was handed down to me.
My mother in law left me some beautiful opal jewelry (we shared the same birthday.)

My grandmother, who was quite the flapper, left me a dropdead gorgeous knee-length pink floral chiffon dress; it was what she wore at her engagement party in 1926. She and I were very much the same size and body type, though I am a bit taller. She also left me several pairs of gloves, most of which unfortunately are a size too small, and this embroidered silk brocade "bedjacket" which is falling apart so I just keep it on a padded hanger.

My wedding dress, cream silk and silk georgette, tea-length with 3/4 sleeves, was my mom's dress, it fit perfectly even though I am a couple inches taller than she was.
Maybe it's the size-change thing--dunno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty