Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 10:41 AM

2,855 posts, read 6,463,209 times

Advertisements

American moving back to the USA after living in the UK for last 7 years. What is the current fashion trend in the USA so I can re-vamp my wardrobe. I'll be moving back to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 10:52 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,561,133 times
Just returned from a five week visit to the UK. Styles are pretty much the same. There are a few small things that haven't caught on here in the US yet, or at least where I live, like long dresses and the great big trendy handbags but that was the only thing I noticed that I can remember off the top of my head. I spent a weekend in London and never felt out of place even when we went clubbing.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:44 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,191,050 times
Just shop when you are here. A lot less packing!

Different styles in different parts of the country for different lifestyles.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:26 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,710,907 times
You could pick up a few magazines at the airport such as Glamour, Vogue, etc. and get a few ideas from the Fall issues.

As for what seems to be in style right now, well, it's still summer here so capris and flat sandals rule. As for the biggest new fashion trend I see for Fall are the wide legged pants worn with platforms.

When you get here you might want to check out Steve and Barry's. They have really cool clothes for not a lot of money so you can fully stock your wardrobe without breaking the bank.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:26 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,268,605 times
I recommend Lucky, Marie Claire and Harper's Bazaar. The trends here are similar to what you've probably already been wearing. A big deal in the cities nowadays is mixing high and low, trying to copy stars like Sienna Miller and Kate Moss. All the stars do this actually. The magazines I listed have recently featured a lot of gladiator sandals, peep toe boot type shoes, 80s redux (skinny jeans, bright color, etc.), floral, metallics, boho chic, etc. I was at the Lucky website earlier and they had a feature on what people are wearing on the streets of L.A. You could go check it out to get an idea. It seems pretty much anything goes in California.
The online source for shopping & style from Lucky Magazine: luckymag.com

Old 08-24-2008, 05:55 AM

2,855 posts, read 6,463,209 times
Thanks for all the great advice Looks like I'll be okay since I tend to be pretty eclectic. I love the Rockabilly look, but also equally comfortable dressing in boho or jeans and tee shirts.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:08 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,636,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
Just returned from a five week visit to the UK. Styles are pretty much the same. There are a few small things that haven't caught on here in the US yet, or at least where I live, like long dresses and the great big trendy handbags but that was the only thing I noticed that I can remember off the top of my head. I spent a weekend in London and never felt out of place even when we went clubbing.
I stared at this post and sort of couldn't bring myself to respond. My brain had popped a fuse.

Long dresses and great big trendy handbags have been popular since the early 90's in the United States. Good grief, what hole are you living in? Have you ever watched Sex and the City? That was a real style about a decade ago. In fact great big handbags became popular in the United States; it was the New York style that brought everything about, and then it went to California, and then Europe.

As for what's trendy in the USA... Um... That's an expansive question. NYC is the fashion capital of the world, and California popularizes all new trendy styles that exist. I can tell you what my autumn lineup is looking like, but that's just me.

I'm sort of mystified

If you've been living in London you'll find that most English fashion is about a year or two behind American urban trends. I rarely see things in London that I don't already own in like-style.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:33 AM

137 posts, read 655,923 times
Wear what fits your personality. I personally go with the Gwen Stefani style but for work just suit pants and a blouse. If I dress too fancy for work, male co-workers will ask me out and I’m not about that. Hope you enjoyed London, where did you go clubin?

Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,561,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I stared at this post and sort of couldn't bring myself to respond. My brain had popped a fuse.

Long dresses and great big trendy handbags have been popular since the early 90's in the United States. Good grief, what hole are you living in? Have you ever watched Sex and the City? That was a real style about a decade ago. In fact great big handbags became popular in the United States; it was the New York style that brought everything about, and then it went to California, and then Europe.

As for what's trendy in the USA... Um... That's an expansive question. NYC is the fashion capital of the world, and California popularizes all new trendy styles that exist. I can tell you what my autumn lineup is looking like, but that's just me.

I'm sort of mystified

If you've been living in London you'll find that most English fashion is about a year or two behind American urban trends. I rarely see things in London that I don't already own in like-style.
My hole that I have been in extends to traveling the east coast, the UK, and France, not to mention other parts of the world, just this year. I am astounded that someone would get so upset at my post?? I did say that those were just two things I noticed, that is all. I never claimed I was the end all and be all for fashion.

Also, I am talking about what people wear in real life, not what you see on TV, first of all. There can be BIG differences even amount the ultra trendy. Long dresses HAVE made a comeback the last year. If you haven't been to NY or London in a while, just glance at the pictures of celebrities a year ago in the mags and then glance at them the last few months. Long dresses are huge and they are on all the racks in England, from the trendy boutiques in London to the M&S in the country. They might be on the racks in NYC but for the rest of the country, you don't see them so much, yet anyway. My experience is (and that is all I am saying) is that everyone is wearing the long dresses in England and the big trendy handbags, from the stay at home mom to the biggest fasion diva, while in the US it seems to only be the ultra trendy. Those are two things that I noticed while on my 5 week visit to Europe.

Also, saying something was popular a decade ago does not mean that it has remained popular ever since. Things go in and out all the time so saying something was big on SATC a decade ago is pretty irrelvent not to mention most of what you see on SATC isn't typical real life fashion anyway even in NY and London.

London is considered one of the fashion centers of the world along with Paris and New York. Trends start in these cities and then branch out. You are right that California popularizes the trends. Some trends might start in NY, some in London, and some in Paris but to say that London is a year or two behind NYC is absolutely not correct.

I am still astonished that someone would almost "pop a fuse" over some simple fashion observations made.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 8,245 times
Default Fashion

I would just like to say I think New York is crap for fashion. At least in the UK people can afford to be fashionable. Here in New York the items are either really expensive or really bad quality. Shops like forever 21 are really bad quality and macys is far too expensive and dated. At least in the UK there is high street fashion. People are not fashionable in NY !!! I worked in High Street fashion in the UK and I can not believe how little NY has to offer on the High Street. Do the people in NY not know that its fashionable because it changes every season!!! so why do they expect you to pay $400 or $500 for something you are going to wear for 3 months Its Crazy they dont even have fashion catalogs. In the UK they have RIVER ISLAND, NEW LOOK, OASIS, WAREHOUSE, NEXT to name but a few... The iteams are excellent quality and are at a reasonable price. Are finally why are none of the shops merchandised its NEW YORK!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty