Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 03:42 PM

265 posts, read 155,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Sorry - my flip flops do not say f-it. They come in all colors with matching trimmed shearling covering insoles and they are not cheap.

What does that prove? And what about the other 99 percent that aren't. You can buy juicy or gucci sweat pants (or whatever high end fashion thing n vogue now) that are expensive ; come in all kinds of colors , etc. But that does not mean they are not sweatpants just the same and not appropriate for work. Same with flip flops, assuming you work in an office -- or not a lifeguard at a pool or something. Are we really debating this? Wearing things I wear to a bathhouse to an office

If one of my reports wore that crap I'd send them right home. Or say something like "next time I see you. you better be wearing some type of real shoe."

Last edited by Raise_the_Black_Flag; 04-02-2018 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 04:15 PM

17,560 posts, read 13,339,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonaldson View Post
I remember back in the 90's and in centuries prior that people in the United States wore SHOES or at least something that covers the entire foot such as boots.

When 2000, and the years after, arrived I noticed that people started to wear flip flops not just to the beaches or to other swimming locations but anywhere considered informal. Daily, I have to endure simultaneously seeing the disgusting feet of some people in addition to hearing the sickening smacking sound that is made when the soles of the flip flops hit the ground and when people's foot soles smack their flip flop soles.

Do Americans actually wear flip flops informally abroad when visiting other countries? I'd hate to think what is going through the minds of the people in host countries, especially in developed countries, when they see an American(s) walking down a street while creating those annoying flip flop smacking sounds that I mentioned in the paragraph above. Yeck.

Is there someone else in this forum that agrees with me?
With all that is going on in the world today, does anyone really give a crap about flip flops????

Old 04-02-2018, 10:05 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
This is my second spring season working in a big box home improvement store. Let me tell you, the floor is as nasty as it gets. Filthy dirty, dusty, not to mention that we are "pet friendly" and are forever having to clean up after pets that poo and pee on the floor. There are also lots of nails, screws, sharp items, etc. on the floor. Yet, these dodo bird customers, and even some contractors, think nothing of going all over the store in nothing but flimsy flip-flops, picking up that nasty as all heck dirt and risking a nail or screw through the foot, or possibly having a foot run over by a heavy lumber cart.

Just today, a flip-flop wearing wife in my hardware area ran over her flip-flop wearing husband's foot with their shopping cart, with him yelping in pain... Hey, are you working on a home improvement project, or catching the next bus to Cancun?

This is essentially, a lumber yard. You are not at the beach, we don't care about your latest pedicure, use some freakin' common sense.

And, if a contractor showed up at my house to do work for me in flip-flops, I'm going to tell him to go home and put some dang shoes on. No footwear is less professional, unless maybe you're a server at a tiki bar.
We have a neighborhood ice skating rink. Given that it's California, the San Francisco Bay Area, when skating season starts, it's still warm outside in the fall. I cringe when I see the occasional parents (usually moms) wearing open toed sandals around when folks are tromping around in boots with blades!

Old 04-02-2018, 10:44 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
What century are you in? Spring is here and all the ladies are showing off their pedicures (and very clean feet) in their attractive flip-flop sandals.

As I stated above, I was raised that they are tacky, but times change. My first pair I was like oooooooooooh, I have been missing out. I have always gone barefoot as much as possible, so these are a win for me.
There are no attractive flip flops. Actual sandals are great for showing off pedicures - as long as you don’t have those nasty long creepy talon toenails that extend past the tip of the toe and you aren’t in a professional environment,

Old 04-02-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I do wear them to work with clean feet and clear polish.
So tacky and unprofessional!

Old 04-03-2018, 08:48 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,124,411 times
Nope. Doesn't bother me.
And while traveling in other countries, I think the flip flops would be the least of the insults that many US Americans hoist on other cultures. Most of the time when I've been in another country the usual complaint about Americans is that they are loud and brash. Never heard anyone mention flip flops.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:01 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
So tacky and unprofessional!
My boss wears 'em, so personally I'm not too concerned.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:42 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,172 times
The flappy sound could be irritating I suppose, but just looking at them? Nope, not in the least. In fact, I wear them basically all summer. Sometimes I wear a different style of sandal, but most of my sandals are that thong style. I do personally prefer to keep my feet well kept and clean and do regular pedicures. And yeah, dirty feet can be a bit nasty to look at, but whatever.

I mean, this is not going to be my pick personally
https://www.dollartree.com/Ladies-So...8851/index.pro

But these? All day.
https://www.zappos.com/p/tory-burch-...1/color/728894
https://luxury.zappos.com/p/kate-spa...0/color/706698
https://www.zappos.com/p/sam-edelman...7/color/188308
https://www.zappos.com/p/sam-edelman...2/color/685465

Or these are great when you need to walk all day in the heat
https://www.zappos.com/p/fitflop-rum...020265/color/3

So, no...not remotely bothered.

I would never wear them to work when I was working because I was required to wear closed toe shoes.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
My boss wears 'em, so personally I'm not too concerned.
Ah - I see, you don't work in a professional environment.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:57 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
My latest pair of flip flops doesn't flap. They have a foot bed and an elastic ankle strap. They're nice and quiet. I won't go anywhere without clean feet and a pedicure.

I wonder how much of this dislike is a cultural preference. I remember reading a comment about American women and their dirty feet and thought about the Muslim foot-washing practice. Nothing about American men and their dirty feet, though. Hmm.

Incidentally a "century" ago for me was in the Sixties when we were introduced to our first pair of flip flops in the Midwest. We called them "thongs" until somebody besmirched that word forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty