Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 08:01 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
My brother had some done while in high school and beyond, and he regrets them all now. His life is entirely different than it was and he wishes he could afford the laser treatments to remove them. Some are tiny, like the initials of his old band on his thigh, and some are huge, like the huge jungle theme on his entire other thigh, nothing gory, just not him anymore. He is also a mechanic, so he doesn't dislike them because of work intolerance or anthing.

My husband wants to get a tattoo...and probably will, of the American flag, or a Maltese cross, most likely on his upper arm. I don't care if he gets one or not, as long as he gets it done at a safe place.

For me, I just don't get the appeal. It's like a piece of jewelry you can never take off. Back in college, I really liked heart shaped jewelry. Now I hate heart shaped jewelry. What if I had a whole bunch of hearts tattooed on me? Yuck. I'd be stuck with them. I also can't stand the tattoos called "tramp stamps"...it's hard to see a tattoo on a woman's lower back and not think of that term...so why would a woman want one and get herself labelled that way? I know it's a stereotype, but still...I hope my daughter doesn't want one in another few years.
Personally I believe that a tattoo isn't something a person should consider lightly. That seems to be the biggest problem with people and tats. Some people don't THINK about what they are doing. It IS permanent. It is something you need to really think about before you head into a shop to get one. I think too many people have gone and gotten tats because they were influenced by "fashion" the "trend" of getting a tattoo. (hence the term "tramp stamp" surfaced)

People I know who are *really* into tattoos, for personal reasons, don't have regrets. They think of it as memories from their past, things that were or are important to them, and the art that they enjoy and cherish.

I have never and will never regret having any of my tattoos. I chose carefully what I wanted and why. It wasn't something I took lightly and hence, will never regret........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:33 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
My brother had some done while in high school and beyond, and he regrets them all now. His life is entirely different than it was and he wishes he could afford the laser treatments to remove them. Some are tiny, like the initials of his old band on his thigh, and some are huge, like the huge jungle theme on his entire other thigh, nothing gory, just not him anymore. He is also a mechanic, so he doesn't dislike them because of work intolerance or anthing.

My husband wants to get a tattoo...and probably will, of the American flag, or a Maltese cross, most likely on his upper arm. I don't care if he gets one or not, as long as he gets it done at a safe place.

For me, I just don't get the appeal. It's like a piece of jewelry you can never take off. Back in college, I really liked heart shaped jewelry. Now I hate heart shaped jewelry. What if I had a whole bunch of hearts tattooed on me? Yuck. I'd be stuck with them. I also can't stand the tattoos called "tramp stamps"...it's hard to see a tattoo on a woman's lower back and not think of that term...so why would a woman want one and get herself labelled that way? I know it's a stereotype, but still...I hope my daughter doesn't want one in another few years.
I really don't understand the whole "tramp stamp" label. Tattoos should be put where they look best and where you are comfortable with them... if the tattoo looks good on the lower back, who cares about what people think? I certainly don't give a hoot if people want to make idiotic generalizations about my moral standards based on tattoo placement.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:39 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
I really don't understand the whole "tramp stamp" label. Tattoos should be put where they look best and where you are comfortable with them... if the tattoo looks good on the lower back, who cares about what people think? I certainly don't give a hoot if people want to make idiotic generalizations about my moral standards based on tattoo placement.
I agree

When I first got my stomach tattoo, I was told that it would be criticized by everyone. But I didn't care. I got it because I thought it would look good and I liked the idea of it. It turns out that I"ve gotten so many compliments on it and hardly any criticisms. I don't have a lower back tattoo, but my friends who have them get complimented on them a lot. There's no shame in having a 'tramp stamp'.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I really don't understand the whole "tramp stamp" label.
The sad thing about this label, is that it was because it became "fashionable" to have a tat there, and then mainstream america decided they were "bored" with it and it lost it's appeal. A negative connotation was slapped on it, because it was no longer "cool" to have it there.

Quote:
Tattoos should be put where they look best and where you are comfortable with them... if the tattoo looks good on the lower back, who cares about what people think? I certainly don't give a hoot if people want to make idiotic generalizations about my moral standards based on tattoo placement.
Exactly. It's not where you place a tattoo, it's where it will look best for that particular design. A "tramp stamp" is nothing more that a mainstream negative connotation to a tattoo that people thought was "fashionable" for a while. Fact is, there were tattoos there long before it was fashionable....and there will be more....

It is this mentality that keeps me hoping that it never becomes "mainstream" to have tattoos.....it isn't meant to be a fashion statement.....

Old 02-16-2009, 07:00 PM

60 posts, read 280,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
The sad thing about this label, is that it was because it became "fashionable" to have a tat there, and then mainstream america decided they were "bored" with it and it lost it's appeal. A negative connotation was slapped on it, because it was no longer "cool" to have it there.

Exactly. It's not where you place a tattoo, it's where it will look best for that particular design. A "tramp stamp" is nothing more that a mainstream negative connotation to a tattoo that people thought was "fashionable" for a while. Fact is, there were tattoos there long before it was fashionable....and there will be more....

It is this mentality that keeps me hoping that it never becomes "mainstream" to have tattoos.....it isn't meant to be a fashion statement.....
I agree. It's not just about the placement of the tat, it's the meaning behind the tat itself. But I must admit I did chose carefully both placement as well as what I had tattooed. Therefore, I believe that people should place careful consideration, months of consideration, prior to getting a tattoo.

Thomas Lockhart, a Canadian psychologist who also works as a tattoo artist said it best, "Though the tattoo may be only skin deep, its significance can run as deep as the soul".

That's why I'm not concerend about what my tats will look like when I'm old and wrinkly. My main concern will be wheather or not I can make it to the bathroom on time!!! ahaha

Old 02-16-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESITOSDECOCO View Post
I agree. It's not just about the placement of the tat, it's the meaning behind the tat itself. But I must admit I did chose carefully both placement as well as what I had tattooed. Therefore, I believe that people should place careful consideration, months of consideration, prior to getting a tattoo.

Thomas Lockhart, a Canadian psychologist who also works as a tattoo artist said it best, "Though the tattoo may be only skin deep, its significance can run as deep as the soul".

That's why I'm not concerend about what my tats will look like when I'm old and wrinkly. My main concern will be wheather or not I can make it to the bathroom on time!!! ahaha
LOL, yeah no kidding!

A well thought out, well placed tat is forever

Old 02-17-2009, 10:19 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:

With many people (including myself) I don't consider ALL lower back tattoos to be tramp stamps. I've seen some BEAUTIFUL lower back work that I would never in a million years put that label on. What I consider a tramp stamp is when you see someone bend over and they've got tribal with butterflies/hearts/roses, it's poorly done and poorly maintained. more than likely it was picked off a wall of flash while giggling with her girlfriends and she thought it would be 'cool'. It's sad, really...because many of those poorly done tattoos could have been done very very well, but instead of looking for a quality artist, they just went to the first shop they saw, or heaven forbid, the cheapest.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:31 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Tattoos are considered intentional disfigurement by the military...you don't have a right to your own body--the government OWNS you.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:02 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
That high flying eagle just above the cleavage at 20 is going to be a buzzard looking at wrinkled meat 30 years later.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:19 AM

378 posts, read 1,063,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
Recently I have seen alot of young women at the beach who look all quite normal from the neck up but have just tons of tattoos all over their body. These are women who seem to be professional white collar women but hidden behind the clothes are as many as 10 large tattoos.

I wonder if they will feel attractive 15 years from now when tattoos are out of style and they have matured?
I am a professional thought not so young (42). I have a tatoo on my right leg. It symbolizes a huge turning point in my life. It is not so much to make me feel beautiful and it is tasteful- ageless IMO. It is not huge. I do not regret getting it at all and I've had it about 5 years and it still looks brand new. If it ever gets faded I'll just get it re-inked. It is not in an area that will distort with aging. I was very careful and put a lot of thought into it before I got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty