Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:29 PM

486 posts, read 2,113,208 times

Advertisements

I use to go to my local salon until I got really grossed out and stopped going altogether. One day while I was getting a pedi, the women next to me was getting one also. I happened to look down at her feet and she had this nasty cut on her big toe and still had the nerve to get a pedi. The main reason I got grossed out was knowing that after a pedi, the tubs are just wiped clean, not sterilized at all between customers.
Really, this freaked me out and turned me off. Although I miss the attention, I rather not subject myself to whats growing in those tubs. Maybe I'm over reacting. Has anyone else seen something like this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 08:06 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
Default Are there any other kind???

There are two very close to me that I occassionally frequent. The one has the sports channel on the t.v. and one time a couple gangbanger lookin guys came in and I thought for sure we were gonna be robbed, but then they just sat down in the big massage chairs next to me and got a pedicure - guess I shouldn't be so quick to judge!!! Still, I don't really like going to that one cause the owner tends to pick his nose So I try to go to the other one that shows the travel channel on the t.v. and where they have posted signs that say English only must be spoken by the staff - not that its obeyed, but at least I've never seen anyone picking their nose. You know, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe its time to stock up on some emery boards, Cutex, cotton balls & polish and do my own!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:21 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Fungus doesnt care who owns the salon...

Whats it matter if they speak in a different language if they are not speaking to you?

I am not sure on it but I do think the law states you must sterilize between customers if they dont call the health dept. Enough fines or complaints they get shut down and can lose lic.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:31 PM

1,009 posts, read 708,755 times
I have gone to Korean and Asians for many years, never had a problem. They speak their own language I don't really care not there to socialize with them. They are friendly enough. I have also gone to spas where they are Americans, they do a great job. But double the price.. I do enjoy manicures and pedicures have no patience to do my own nails.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:33 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Fungus doesnt care who owns the salon...

Whats it matter if they speak in a different language if they are not speaking to you?

I am not sure on it but I do think the law states you must sterilize between customers if they dont call the health dept. Enough fines or complaints they get shut down and can lose lic.
I agree, I think it's the law. I know my salon sterilizes between customers, I watch them carefully to be sure they do.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:46 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
I've never paid someone to do my hands or toes. I figure as long as I can reach them to clip them and clean them myself, no point in paying someone to do it. Besides I'm way too much of a tomboy to care what my toes or fingernails looks like. I figure as long as they are clean and trimmed that's good enough for me.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:19 PM

216 posts, read 829,347 times
There are zillions of korean run nail salons in my area (NYC metro area).
I've been patronizing them for 20+ yrs. I've never, ever had a problem. I have no problem with the lack of english. The sheer number of these places has kept down the price of manicures to $7!! Mon, tues, wed you can get mani/pedi combined for $17. Go to a fancy salon and pay triple or quadruple that amount. And for what?

Ladies...this country is a melting pot. Very few of us can trace our roots back to the pilgrims. Most of us have ancestors who came here from all over the world and didn't speak a word of english. If they hadn't arrived you wouldn't be here at all.
So lighten up and give these asian ladies a break. They are trying to make a better life for themselves.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:23 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
IMO you sometimes get what you pay for. For me, its a spa or a day spa for mani/pedis or I'll do it myself at home.

I never patronize the Asian nail salons. I have however gone with friends who were having their nails done.

For one, the smell of fumes in some are so overwhelming. And a lot of them lack a relaxing atmosphere.

Also, the cleanliness is an issue with a lot of these shops. If you're not using your own nail kit then I would be concerned about how thoroughly theirs have been sanitized (if at all)

And the big spa chairs made with the foot bath - these have been tested and are even dirtier than a portable foot bath because they aren't cleaned as often (bacteria collects in the jets...yuck)

Nail Fungus and Nail Salons, Even Celebrities Aren't Immune

Old 08-31-2009, 10:45 PM

191 posts, read 560,137 times
There are way to many here in WA State. I have had problems with the pedi tubs not being cleaned correctly. I hate it when they talk, look at me and laugh. RUDE!!! I am now driving 45 min to a beauty school where it is done the old fashioned way. Bowl with soap. And it's done by an American. I would gladly pay more if I could find a nice salon in my area that offered that service.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:01 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Nail salons

I go to a salon where there are a lot of Asian women. My husband came to pick me up one day and all the girls were leaving and all had Lexuses! Very very nice!

Anyway, I know what you mean about speaking Vietnamese - drives me crazy - one of the women has her daughter work and she speaks English just fine so I'm sure they all do.

They, however, do a great job. There was a skit on Comedy Central one night - so true. Like (you come in) - Hi, you have boyfriend? Yes, I am married, I say. She says - so nice. My daughter comes in - Hi, you have boyfriend - she says "so sorry" - but it's just the way.

When my daughter went to school in Tennessee, there was a great salon near her - pedi, mani, fills, everything - standing room only - lined out the door - and no credit cards - only cash and you paid when you came in. How's that?

I figure if I can take my dogs to the groomer, I can get my nails done once a month! (They have mega hair - Shelties).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty