Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 11:10 AM

50 posts, read 51,164 times

Advertisements

A bit off subject here even though all the nail salons here are Asian.

I remember seeing an interview with Tippi Hendren and she is the one who helped bring Asian manicurists to this country. More specifically it was either Vietnamese or Korean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 11:31 AM

711 posts, read 688,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
That's the first thing that came to mind for me, lol. I didn't weigh in because I'm not a guy who gets manicures and pedicures.

My wife goes to an Asian Salon.
Same here as for a lot of people - probably 98% of the salons near me are Asian owned. Some are great depending on the technician you get. Some a little less than great. It can be difficult to schedule an appointment with one particular person if you find someone you really like.

doc1 - one of these days, ask your wife to take you along for a pedicure! My hubby spends a lot of time on his feet each day. He's in workboots and walking on gravel a good deal of that time. The occasional pedicure with good attention to nail trims and callus removal really makes his feet feel a lot better!

Old 04-21-2017, 11:38 AM

130,306 posts, read 12,105,905 times
No, I used to go every 4 to 6 weeks, & the language didn't bother me. Being told it was going to be a 15 minute wait when after an hour I was still unseen did. Plus I did a budget review, & that was an easy thing to stop, & cut out of the budget. I have good strong nails, so it is easy to keep them looking nice at home, & save the money.

I was going to get one done last week, for a special event, but after I filed my nails & found polish at the dollar store, I decided against it. I applied the paint to my nails 6 days ago, & they are still un-chipped, lookng good. Polish at the salon was always chipped within 24 hours

Old 04-21-2017, 12:25 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
I went to Asian-run nail salons from about the age of 18 to 32 and will get an occasional pedicure from them every so often.

Have never had one single health issue with them and see them changing tools and using sanitary procedures.

I would say out of the hundreds of women I have seen that have regularly gone for years it seems the ones that had issues are in the minority.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:40 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
One (just one) thing I miss about the PNW is the nail salon I went to monthly Absolutely the very best pedicures ever.

Here in my homeland of TX, the services have always paled in comparison.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:07 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
This thread has me flabbergasted. The implications that nail salons under Asian ownership (whether it be Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, etc.) are unsanitary and non-Asian salons are somehow safer?? Nothing short of racist. Guess what folks? Infections can happen anywhere, even the non-Asian owned salons. And the Vietnamese salons I go to are meticulously clean. The tools are sanitized, the pedi bowls cleaned, and new disposable bowl liners used each time.

It has nothing to do with the race of the owners, and everything to do with the level of cleanliness. Just because your nail tech is a blonde, blue-eyed native English speaker, that doesn't mean that there's less risk of infection.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
If there are any nail salons in my town that aren't Asian owned, I don't know about them. My neighbors, who are Korean, own one of them.

I don't, as a rule, go to nail salons, can't speak to any cleanliness practices, regardless of ownership.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:09 PM

342 posts, read 438,081 times
I went to "Asian" and "American"nail salons. I found that in "Asian" salons they do better job - advanced techniques for gels and acrylics, more choices, less expensive. Salon I go now is Vietnamese, very posh-posh and clean. Always full with customers. I do gel sculpting with gel polish and it lasts 2-3 weeks, no chipping

Old 04-21-2017, 05:46 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
My last post was in 2008, before I moved to a different state. In Ohio, a pedi was $50. and it was in my American hair salon. I said that I wouldn't go to an Asian nail salon in the mall because they came and went, and I worried about accountability.

Fast forward. I've lived in GA for 7 years now, and all the nail salons are Asian. There is a nice Vietnamese family who owns the nail salon where I go. It costs $23. for 90 minutes of pure bliss. They are very nice, and do a great job. It is their own business, so no worries about poor hygiene or lack of accountability.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:07 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
There are only two nail salons that I'm aware of in the entire county that are NOT Asian owned and they are much more expensive plus there have been mixed reviews about them. One has always done a great job while the other one has lots of bad reviews. Being Asian has nothing to do with whether they are sanitary or not. Some are and some aren't. Some of the techs never even went to school. The owner went, got his/her license and then taught others who faked their certificates. When an inspection was due the workers without the legitimate licenses would be out that day. This was a big story a few years ago locally when a salon finally got caught.

I go to a Vietnamese place a few miles away and I can get an acrylic fill plus a pedicure for $43 then I tip her $10. I always see the owner who does a very nice job. However I usually just go for a fill which is only $18. Personally I think they should charge more because I remember 15 years ago paying $16 for a fill. This place is in an upscale shopping center and they do take walk-ins so they stay busy.

It used to annoy me a little when they would start speaking to each in their native tongue until I came to the realization that if the situation were reversed I will probably do the same thing if I worked with people who spoke my language in a country where English is the common language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty