Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:56 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

What/where is Plato's closet? We have similar type shops here in NY.

I once went to a place like that and dropped off 3 garbage bags full of sh*t. They took ONE thing, a pair of cowboys boots, that I got like $12 for. The thing that pissed me off was that I am small- the boots were a size 5- and the guy looking at my clothes was like "yeah we will take them" but then this other lady was like "those are so small, who would fit into those?" and I was just annoyed b/c a) I felt like she was putting me down b/c I am little and b) she was discrimininating against me- like, what, now you can't take stuff if they aren't the "average" size women are wearing? Whatever, they took the boots though.

The clothes overall in those places are decent. I have gotten a lot of nice things. The employees always have attitudes though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 10:01 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
They wanted to give me $20 for a pair of jeans I paid over $300 for. I sold them on Ebay for $180.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:32 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Honestly I think the "attitude" probably at least in part comes from all the people that come in wanting $15 for their stained white tank tops that have been washed 300 times. :/

Old 06-13-2010, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 7,371 times
I've brought stuff in to Plato's a few times and am surprised each time at what they take and don't take. Especially when you spend the 15 minutes you are waiting looking around the store at a lot of crappy stuff. Almost new, name brands and they refused them, but managed to take my Lucky Brand T-shirt for $5. At that point I took the cash, because it was either that or donate it since it doesn't fit. I can't figure out how they calculate either, they don't share. And I agree with the above comments, they are not nice! I've been to 2 locations and same experience at each. So, today was the last time I'll go there.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:52 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,735 times
Yeah, I don't understand Plato's Closet. I had some cute tops that just didn't fit me anymore and I had barely ever worn when they did, and they said "Oh, well those aren't in style."

They were long sleeve shirts meant for layering. How aren't those in style, when layering is all the rage?

Old 06-13-2010, 05:33 PM

174 posts, read 488,374 times
I would go back and try again.
I went once and they took a few things from me.
Then I went back again later on with some of the same pieces they rejected the first time and a they took them the second time...

Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times
Reading all these experiences is interesting. My own experience with the Plato's Closet I'm closest to was bad. I've been in there three times, never to sell but to buy. Each time the clothing looked dated, off color, too used or boring. Seeing as there really is a system in place for decision making as described in the post by an owner of a Plato's Closet is surprising to me. Everything in the store was not much better than what I've seen at my local Goodwill. And the prices for the used merchandise just didn't seem worth it for what was available.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:27 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,735 times
The bottoms at mine are always dated. A&F shorts from three summers ago? Faded pink camo capris? Pleeeeeease.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:21 AM

81 posts, read 229,867 times
I think it depends on who is doing the checking and also the store location. I had a few good experiences with them and I am planning to try with some shoes this weekend. Whatever they dont take will go to donation

Old 07-22-2010, 09:25 AM

81 posts, read 229,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platoscloset_sd View Post
Hello everyone. I am one of the owners of the Plato's Closet in Escondido. I've read through the string of comments and I appreciate the feedback. I know it is frustrating when you take the time to gather items and bring them to the store. I know that the process isn't always clear and that also is frustrating. If you are interested, I will go through the process here which will hopefully shed a little light and maybe help with the frustration.

I understand where you are coming from but for all these complaints about rude service? I have seen some really good stuff turned away that I followed the lady and bought a jacket off her in front of the platos associate. When I came back for my items she said, yea i should have taken that jacket, i dont know what i was thinking....that was weird to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty