U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 03:20 PM

4,961 posts, read 10,710,218 times

Advertisements

Can anyone PLEASE recommend a gentle, reasonably-priced cleanser and moisturizer? As I'm approaching 40 ( ) my skin is still oily and prone to break-outs. I've tried many of the acne cleansers and lotions, but they dry my skin out too much and really haven't done much to get rid of zits and blackheads. I recently tried the Neutrogena Acne kit, and my skin felt fried after a few days of use. I'm also looking for a good eye cream to help with crow's feet. (By reasonably-priced I mean no more than $10 to $15 for each product.)

I would appreciate any recommendations very much.

Last edited by lovemaine; 10-06-2008 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 03:26 PM

43,858 posts, read 45,260,645 times
I use the Oil of Olay Active Hydrating Cream. It has no oil in it since it is water based. Fabulous stuff! (I'm 50) You should be able to find it online or in the store for less than $8. Again, this stuff is just wonderful and makes your skin look/feel great.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:27 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,886,076 times
You need something to exfoliate while cleansing- trial and error different things that do that
(alpha hydroxy is a good one)

Toner - rosewater (google the recipe on how to make it) very cheap.

Moisture - bottle of pure aloe or strait from the plant. VERY cheap and effective.

Honey gets rid of zits - just dab it on the pimple
Plain clay unscented cat litter ground finely and made into a make sucks out your pores

Those are my cheapie suggestions.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:48 PM

979 posts, read 3,578,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Can anyone PLEASE recommend a gentle, reasonably-priced cleanser and moisturizer? As I'm approaching 40 ( ) my skin is still oily and prone to break-outs. I've tried many of the acne cleansers and lotions, but they dry my skin out too much and really haven't done much to get rid of zits and blackheads. I recently tried the Neutrogena Acne kit, and my skin felt fried after a few days of use. I'm also looking for a good eye cream to help with crow's feet. (By reasonably-priced I mean no more than $10 to $15 for each product.)

Have you been to a dermatologist? That is the ONLY thing that worked for me. I use differin now. It's awesome!

Old 10-07-2008, 04:09 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,681,722 times
Have you thought about having your hormones checked? I had to go on the birth control pill to get my skin under control. There really aren't any products that will effectively address over production of oil. If the bcp isn't your thing you could also consider bioidentical hormones.

HER Place Women's Health - Individualized Hormone Replacement Therapy

Before I went on the pill I tried ProActiv, etc. Nothing ever worked well. Once your hormones are under control you will be able to use a gentle cleanser and moisturizer without any problems.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:13 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,075,340 times
I agree with going to a dermatologist. And generally health insurance covers office visits.

It may seem less expensive to purchase from drugstores, but in the long run, if its ineffective, its a waste of money and you are better off spending your money on products that actually work.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:22 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,886,076 times
dermatologist = not reasonably priced

;P

Old 10-07-2008, 05:42 PM

7,763 posts, read 14,662,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
dermatologist = not reasonably priced

;P

Not necessarily. My derm is a proponent of OTC products such as Oil of Olay, Neutrogena, Cetaphil, etc.. The only thing he has me on that might be considered costly is Retin-A (it's covered under my insurance, so it's only $10). I'm doing Retin-A as an anti-wrinkle treatment.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:27 PM

562 posts, read 2,172,908 times
I second the Retin A, I use the micronized version which is good for pimples and wrinkles. I use Aveeno cleanser or Neutrogena, both for sensitive skin. If you are using an acne regimine, you don't need a harsh or exfoliating cleanser.

The only thing that stopped my adult acne is Amoxcillin anti-biotics. I put off taking this for years, but I get deep cystic acne and the Pill makes me moody. I finally gave up on age stopping my acne.Good luck!!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:34 PM

973 posts, read 3,009,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post

I use a Clinique cleanser to wash off make-up and dirt. I use a toner occasionally. For pimples I use a little Tea Tree Oil on the acne prone areas. I'm in the same age group as you and have tried numerous acne treatments but they all dried out my skin, yet I still had the zits.

Amagingly enough the Tea Tree Oil worked. Mind you, it smells like camphor and a little goes a long way. One of two drops at the most. I buy the 100% TTO at the health food store and use a cotton swab to apply it. TTO is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal and contrary to some beliefs, the oil is so lightweight, it will NOT clog your pores or make your skin break out more. It also will not make your skin dry like most acne creams. It costs between $6-10, depending on the brand and will last quite a while.

As for the crows feet, really the only thing you can do is minimize their appearance. Keep yourself very hydrated from the inside out. In other words, drink plenty of water and use a good eye cream. If you are dehydrated, so is your skin.
Personally, I have used a TCA chemical peel at home a few times and had some success. Of course I still have a few lines but they aren't as obvious as before. My eye cream is Clinique and it has a velvety soft texture to it and a little goes a long way with it. Grant you, I paid between $30-40 (can't remember now) but I've had it quite a while.

I think this stuff works pretty well since most people guess my age around 32. I'm in my early 40's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty