Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is more expensive make-up worth the money?
Yes 34 56.67%
No 26 43.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:29 PM

926 posts, read 2,746,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I wish Dior would bring back MaximEyes.
Nordstrom has it! I just tried it on today in downtown Chicago! you can also order it online at nordstroms website I think. Or try cosmeticmall. com- they have everything lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 01:58 AM

283 posts, read 759,692 times
i've always used cheapies until last year i went and bought some Dior and Chanel make up (foundation and powder respectively). i was shocked at the difference, because i've always thought that its just marketing and there are no differences except prices. boy was i surprised at the quality high end make up offers!
i find that Dior mascara is a far far cry from your drugstore mascaras. the difference in quality and ease of use is huge. it's not frustrating to apply because it does exactly what you want your mascara to do and not slide off during the day.
i haven't tried any other types of make up from expensive lines but i am really wanting to try some Chanel eyeshadow and see how it compares to all the drugstore brands.
basically i think you should spend money on important things like foundation and save money on lip gloss and blush.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:01 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,385,151 times
For the most part, the cheap 'NYC' brand stuff does well, cheap but it works. Unless a good name brand is on sale at a comparable price Since I dont usually wear a lot anyway. But whenever I do use foundation or compact, it has to be Cover Girl.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:48 AM

37,585 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaxseedgirl View Post
I have always used cheapo make-up brands, like Revlon, Cover Girl, Almay, Maybelline, etc. Do the better brands--Este Lauder, Clinque, MAC, & so forth--truly result in a prettier look? If so, can you explain why you love the more expensive brands?
I agree with the other poster - I voted "Yes", but frankly, there are many items that for me, the cheaper brands work just fine. For foundation, I had been using a MAC formulation that I loved. Of course it was discontinued, , and I bought up what stock I could find. Before I used that up however, I found a great Cover Girl one - CG Smoothers - that I really love, and now that is my favorite. And it's VERY inexpensive. I used to use the expensive mascaras, but have found that recently, the drugstore brands work just fine. Blush? HAS to be Nars...I love it. $25, but well worth it. So it just depends on the item.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:11 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,441,886 times
I just can't afford expensive makeup brands anymore. I mean, you can spend hundreds on makeup. I don't know. No longer fits my thrift store budget I'm afraid.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:30 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
EeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeebay!

I find so many great cheapo deals on high end stuff on ebay.

But I am just getting that dior black out....I have been wanting it for months.
Will let you know if it works out...

Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,394,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
Nordstrom has it! I just tried it on today in downtown Chicago! you can also order it online at nordstroms website I think. Or try cosmeticmall. com- they have everything lol
OOoh! You rock! I assumed that they discontinued it because Sephora stopped carrying it!!!!

Thank you!!!!

Old 11-16-2008, 06:59 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,989,829 times
I was a MAC fan until this Summer. One of my friends told me about e.l.f. (eyes, lips, face) makeup and I checked out the website. The stuff is a DOLLAR people! I bought about twenty bucks worth of stuff and have not been to the MAC counter since. I think MAC has way better eyeshadows, but e.l.f. wins hands down on the lip gloss and nail polish. Oh and did I mention it's a friggin' DOLLAR!
(Quick edit) Here's a link to my favorite lip gloss:
http://www.eyeslipsface.com/Lips/hypershine_gloss

Last edited by kharing; 11-16-2008 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: to add the link

Old 11-16-2008, 07:19 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,890,481 times
I'm very picky about foundations...loved Origins Next of Skin but they discontinued that. Tried Bobbie Brown and am finishing the compact. I think it was overrated, although I love their eye shadows. I just purchased Estee Lauder's Double Wear last night. I think it has the closest ever shade to my skin tone, even I could not notice it was there. I don't have a preference for eye shadows but hate Mary Kay's.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:26 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
It varies for me and I won't use just one type or brand exclusively.
Same here. I rarely use Revlon, but they had a great BOGO sale that I accidentally rant into at KMart this weekend, so I stocked up.

I think some items are worth paying more money for if they make you feel like you look better, but when you think about it, there is only SO MUCH they can put into a product. I wouldn't pay top dollar for anything unless it was totally magical and covered everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty