Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 10:33 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times

Advertisements

Hi Ladies,

My skin (primarily my face) takes a terrible beating as the weather changes, especially when it starts turning cold. And, as today marks the first official day of winter, I'm looking to change up my skin care products.

The skin products I use during the spring/summer (eg Clean and Clear daily exfoliator, Ponds Cold Cream) don't seem to be doing the trick when the weather becomes very cold. My skin gets very dry, as a result. The condition only worsens when I'm not wearing makeup.

Do you change your skin regimen for the winter?

Are there any products you don't like or have discontinued using? Why?

What products do you use for cleansing and moisturizing for the winter months?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 12:14 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Taking a super hot bath, soak + steam helps me out quite a bit in the winter. Olive oil + sea salt [homemade] facial scrub is my go-to for exfoliating.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:36 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Taking a super hot bath, soak + steam helps me out quite a bit in the winter. Olive oil + sea salt [homemade] facial scrub is my go-to for exfoliating.
Super hot baths are very hard on the skin. I turn the heat up, and take a normal temp shower.

I have rosacea, and dry/normal skin (more dry than normal) so I don't like to mess with my products much, but last year I felt my moisturizer wasn't quite doing it for me.

I added a oil based serum to the mix. I picked Intelligent Nutrients anti-aging serum, because a number of people with rosacea said it helped.

It did. BUT -- instead of trying to rub in an oil, and then rubbing in a lotion (CeraVe PM face lotion -- AM has sunscreen) I put a drop of oil in my palm and add the lotion to it, mix in my hands and then apply.

I use an exfoliating washcloth Aquis Exfoliating Washcloth Linen | Pharmaca

with CeraVe hydrating cleanser. (I would think if your skin is dry -- Clean and Clear might be the issue for you during the winter).

I use a simple no alcohol toner (Neutrogena Non-alcohol Toner), and finish off with the lotion/serum mix.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:47 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
No, I don't change my skin care routine for winter. I just use water and dry exfoliate with a cloth if need be. I don't have issues with dryness or anything. I'm a guy and soaps and other products destroy my skin, so I just never use them. I shave with a single blade razor and just use warm/hot water, never any issues.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:31 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
If your face has a lot of dry patches, I recommend putting coconut oil or Vaseline on your skin at night. I do this when my skin gets very dry in the winter and it hasn't broken me out.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:19 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Shaving is exfoliating.....so if you shave your face, that's about all you need!

Too hot of water is drying. Put your moisturizer on slightly damp skin...don't wait until you're fully dry...and blot, don't rub when you dry off! You might need a thicker cream, rather than a lotion in dryer weather.

Vaseline is a fantastic thing...but it's very messy....use sparingly!

Old 12-22-2014, 08:38 PM

983 posts, read 994,528 times
This option isn't going to be too popular, but I've been taking a shower every other day. It helps, I"m not stripping my skin of its natural oils too badly.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I don't change anything. But I use good products year round. I use CeraVe a.m. for day and the CeraVe p.m. for night. CeraVe also makes a couple of good mild cleansers for use at night, before putting the CVp.m. on. I also use an eye cream around my eyes.

I have older dry, sensitive skin. This is my opinion, but for dry skin, toner seems a waste. I use a washcloth with the cleanser, and immediately put the night lotion on my face. I generally don't wash my face in the morning, but I often stick my face under the shower head. Afterwards, the CV lotion goes on.

For those of us with dry skin, showers should not be hot, but warm, and they should not last too long. (My greatest temptation, but long hot showers do strip the skin too much.)

I like Cetaphil for the rest of my skin, and use in liberally in the winter.

If you have to be out in the cold and wind, put a little petroleum jelly on your cheeks first.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:34 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don't change anything. But I use good products year round. I use CeraVe a.m. for day and the CeraVe p.m. for night. CeraVe also makes a couple of good mild cleansers for use at night, before putting the CVp.m. on. I also use an eye cream around my eyes.

I have older dry, sensitive skin. This is my opinion, but for dry skin, toner seems a waste. I use a washcloth with the cleanser, and immediately put the night lotion on my face. I generally don't wash my face in the morning, but I often stick my face under the shower head. Afterwards, the CV lotion goes on.

For those of us with dry skin, showers should not be hot, but warm, and they should not last too long. (My greatest temptation, but long hot showers do strip the skin too much.)

I like Cetaphil for the rest of my skin, and use in liberally in the winter.

If you have to be out in the cold and wind, put a little petroleum jelly on your cheeks first.
Most people agree about the toner, but for me, with toner my moisturizer (same as you use! Great minds think alike) seems to absorb into my skin. Without toner, it feels like moisturizer just sits on my face and gets greasy.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:22 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Drink more water. People tend to drink less water in winter than summer but you still need 8 glasses of non-caffeinated fluid a day. It is much more effective to moisturizer from within.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty