U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:16 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,373,048 times

Advertisements

This is for the ladies.

Do you think you can have too many clothes or never enough? For me, the more I buy, the more I want.

I mainly buy on sale or at thrift stores, so I don't spend a lot. But boy, do I love acquiring them!

Let me also add that I do "purge" regularly to get rid of the mistakes and stuff that is too old and worn to wear anymore.

Am I alone or are there others like me? How big is your wardrobe? Where do you keep everything?

Woofers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 01:05 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,881,024 times
I am in the middle of a total revamp post purge...and yes..I buy one thing and then....
LOL

Right now in my apt I have two closets but I want to get a wardrobe furni piece to keep the stuff I really love in so I dont have to worry about water pipes ruining things.

I came up with a great idea to keep my bras sorted because of the annoying tangle mess and there are lots of black ones so it takes forever to figure out when getting ready still half asleep...
But I put this shoe organizer on the back of my closet door. No bent wires,snags and its easy to just grab full coverage, smooth, seamless..I labeled a piece of masking tape and stuck it on the outside of the plastic. I think I am going to get another one for my socks. the seperator cubes never work...
Especially when you have a guy that goes in a steals your socks instead of telling you he ran out or doing laundry...LOL

Old 11-16-2008, 01:07 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,881,024 times
p.s. and oh for self control I made a shopping sheet of "needs" and wants....Its stopped me from going oh thats cute...But all rules are dead if its 10 dollars or less!

Old 11-16-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I am in the middle of a total revamp post purge...and yes..I buy one thing and then....
LOL

Right now in my apt I have two closets but I want to get a wardrobe furni piece to keep the stuff I really love in so I dont have to worry about water pipes ruining things.

I came up with a great idea to keep my bras sorted because of the annoying tangle mess and there are lots of black ones so it takes forever to figure out when getting ready still half asleep...
But I put this shoe organizer on the back of my closet door. No bent wires,snags and its easy to just grab full coverage, smooth, seamless..I labeled a piece of masking tape and stuck it on the outside of the plastic. I think I am going to get another one for my socks. the seperator cubes never work...
Especially when you have a guy that goes in a steals your socks instead of telling you he ran out or doing laundry...LOL
You sound like fun!

I have gotten into the habit of putting all my good clothes into gallon-size zip lock bags. Keeps them clean and dust free and easy to manage. When you sort through them, you don't have to go back and refold everything.

I'd love to have more closet space. Oh, how I wish....

Old 11-16-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
p.s. and oh for self control I made a shopping sheet of "needs" and wants....Its stopped me from going oh thats cute...But all rules are dead if its 10 dollars or less!
Right!

Who buys what they need? I don't NEED anything!

Making a list is just an excuse to go shopping!

Old 11-16-2008, 06:27 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,125,785 times
Simple answer: NO!

when I do shop (usually at thrift stores)I also take a few bags with me to donate. that way I have room for all my "new" stuff.
in with the new, out with the old!

Old 11-16-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
Simple answer: NO!

when I do shop (usually at thrift stores)I also take a few bags with me to donate. that way I have room for all my "new" stuff.
in with the new, out with the old!
Yes, that's how I do it to. IN with the NEW, OUT with the OLD....

I try and buy mostly what I think I'm going to wear. I used to leave the thrift shops with large bags full of clothes, now I only walk out with one or two items, and sometimes I still don't even need those. I just need to buy something.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:59 PM

27,317 posts, read 34,228,314 times
I wonder the same thing, rather often! I LOVE buying new clothes...even when I have perfectly suitable things at home. I have a hard time getting rid of things that fit and are still wearable...I feel like it's such a waste. So I wind up with waaaayyy too many things. I keep everything in my closet(s). I ahve two in my bedroom, and I also use the one in the guest room for those things that I couldn't bring myself to throw out, but that I NEVER wear. However, I am proud that last weekend, I went through that closet and pulled out MOST everything in there. (A couple of things even have TAGS still on them...from years ago when I lost weight and never was able to wear them. ) I have actually sold a few things on eBay, but generally, it's just not worth my time to do that. So I guess Goodwill is going to get a really nice contribution in the next few days!!!

Old 11-16-2008, 07:23 PM

20,521 posts, read 26,840,034 times
I love a good deal. I don't own any dress clothes, which I am going to have to get a couple of outfits. I shop at thrift stores and I can "never" pass up a good pair of work jeans or work shirts. Then on top of that I never get rid of anything. I don't care how ripped or torn my jeans get I can always wear them on the farm. Like the cows care, lol. I actually threw out 2 pairs of jeans this summer because they were so bad. I think they were about 6 years old and I paid $3.00 a pair. I also have 2 pairs right now that are "paint" jeans. I'm going to have to get rid of those soon.

When my husband says "don't you have enough jeans?", I say how can I go wrong for 2 or 3 bucks.

I liketo look neat and clean when I go out so I always have "good" jeans and tops but my work clothes are a wreck and I can't part with them..

Old 11-16-2008, 08:34 PM

43,858 posts, read 45,252,330 times
Actually, I am such a minimalist that I hate clutter of any sort. I prefer black, white and grays....so everything sort of blends in together. I do wear color but only as an accessory. I give away anything that I find I no longer like or wear. A jumbled up closet or drawer would dive me crazy.
(Yeah, I know there are pills for that.................... but I'm so happy in my neat organized little world.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or