U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 08:43 PM

35,885 posts, read 68,171,955 times

Advertisements

I have been coloring my hair for over 20 years . . . started getting lots of white patches in my early 30s. I have been using L'Oreal products for about 16 -18 years. Sometimes, I have my hair professionally colored and just fill in w/ home color. But for the last 10 months, I have been coloring my hair all the time myself.

My latest color is Intense Copper Red, and I have been using that for maybe four years. (Preference).

I apply my haircolor the same way I always have for all these years. I use Redken shampoo and conditioner - can't remember the name - but it is the color extend/protect shampoo for redheads.

Three weeks ago, I put my haircolor on and noticed it didn't seem as bright as usual when I dried it. I was going out of town so I didn't really think much about it. What a mess!! The first day out of town, I had on a white baseball cap, and when I took it off, there was faint pinkish red color on the inside of the cap! I thought - GOOD GRIEF - that is odd!

Then the next morning I washed my hair and when I dried it, my towel had pink streaks all over it.

Then that evening, we were at the beach, and my hair got wet, and it was dripping pink down my neck - to the point that my husband noticed it. And it got on my white bathing suit cover-up.

I washed my hair that evening and more pink on the towel!!

The next day, I wore my cap again and more pink in the hat (I washed the hat and some of it came out). The next day I washed my hair and realized my roots were starting to show again. I could not believe it! By the end of the week, my roots only had faint color on them (and I have very white roots!!!)

The next week, after washing my hair twice, it was like I had never put on hair color.

I wrote L'Oreal and got a dumb form type letter back saying "oh, sorry you didn't have the experience you wanted. Call us so we can help you figure out how to better apply your color the next time, blah blah."

I put my haircolor back on today, and so far all seems fine. We will see how it goes this week.

I am taking NO meds - only the same thing I have taken off and on as needed all my life - Sudafed and tylenol, as needed.

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I think L'Oreal should be alerted b/c something obviously was wrong w/ that batch of hair color. And I think they should give me a coupon to get a free box of haircolor.

I will call them next week even tho they obviously are not very interested in resolving this.

Just wondered if anyone else has had such an experience w/ permanent hair color. In all these years, I have never had anything like this occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 09:49 PM

1,045 posts, read 4,080,027 times
I am sure if you call the company they will refund you as you request.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I am sure if you call the company they will refund you as you request.
I will let you know. The letter I got back sounded like they were only interested in informing me how I had screwed up w/ the application and therefore needed to get advice on doing it correctly.

So I will post back w/ where that gets me . . . I hope you are right!

Old 11-22-2008, 02:13 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,866,741 times
What probably happened:

- all reds dont grab. Its the hardest color for anyone's hair to hold
- your stay red shampoo etc put a build up on your hair that the dye couldnt get through
I always do a cleansing shampoo before colors. Especially when I am working on anyone with strong hair thats resistant (grey/white/very ethnic asian hair) to taking color. (google shampoo train)

Try the shampoo train to remove residue if it fades like that again. The first color may of stripped it clean enough though. Next time always do the shampoo train first. Because it can be worse and come out PATCHY! Roots are good lookin' compared to patchy!

Old 11-22-2008, 03:22 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,364,130 times
I was going to say -- red does not stay in long to begin with.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:07 AM

1,654 posts, read 6,794,734 times
AS said, red doesn't last very long and it's one of those colors that should only be done in a professional setting with professional color.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:02 AM

25,694 posts, read 24,602,665 times
Most of the time, nothing in haircolour is permanent. Your hair grows out in its natural colour. Or it didnt set in long enough. the biggest thing is, as with any haircolour though, is right on the box in fine print somewhere, it usually will tell you approx how many washings it will last through, some more than others. Despite the label saying its 'permanent', it will wash out in a few months. Dont know why they call it permanent if it doesnt last a lifetime.
Just like a perm. they eventually come out/grow out, but generally last around 6 mos or so.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:12 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,422,671 times
I'm not by any means an expert, but does it really "wash out"? My hairstylist explained that the permanent haircolor actually strips the natural color out of your hair, and replaces it with the new color. It fades to a lighter shade of that new color. That's why even though I usually go with a medium brown shade that matches my hair to cover the gray, after awhile it starts looking much lighter than my natural color.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
What probably happened:

- all reds dont grab. Its the hardest color for anyone's hair to hold
- your stay red shampoo etc put a build up on your hair that the dye couldnt get through
I always do a cleansing shampoo before colors. Especially when I am working on anyone with strong hair thats resistant (grey/white/very ethnic asian hair) to taking color. (google shampoo train)

Try the shampoo train to remove residue if it fades like that again. The first color may of stripped it clean enough though. Next time always do the shampoo train first. Because it can be worse and come out PATCHY! Roots are good lookin' compared to patchy!
I will get some of the cleansing shampoo. However, as I said, I have been coloring my hair since my early 30s . . . and been a redhead for decades . . . and never had this problem b/f. So it was a very strange singular incident. I mean - dripping color down your neck for a week, and color rubbing off in a hat . . . that just ain't right.

Since putting the color on this time, all seems totally normal.

Thanks for the info on the cleansing shampoo! Sounds like a good idea!

Old 11-23-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Most of the time, nothing in haircolour is permanent. Your hair grows out in its natural colour. Or it didnt set in long enough. the biggest thing is, as with any haircolour though, is right on the box in fine print somewhere, it usually will tell you approx how many washings it will last through, some more than others. Despite the label saying its 'permanent', it will wash out in a few months. Dont know why they call it permanent if it doesnt last a lifetime.
Just like a perm. they eventually come out/grow out, but generally last around 6 mos or so.
Permanent haircolor should not be dripping down your back for a week until it all washes out, LOL. And I leave my haircolor on for 55 minutes, the same thing I have done for about 15 years now. I did nothing differently than I have been doing for a very very long time.

I can't go a few months w/o fresh haircolor. I put my color on every four to five weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty