Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:16 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
Where can you get it and how much is it? Does it HAVE to be prescribed?
Yes it's a prescription and most insurance company's don't cover it, my doesn't. It comes in generic which runs about $58-62, but it last a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 12:25 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Yes good stuff. But mix with moisturizer if you are over 30. It's serious stuff, but it works.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:08 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
I use it, a couple of times a week to keep wrinkles at bay and to reduce the possibility of facial skin cancer. To minimize the possibility of your skin getting raw, apply to clean *dry* skin and keep away from lips and right around the nostrils. Retin-A penetrates deeper with moisture -- this seems like it would be a good thing, but as many have noted, it can cause more problems than it solves by putting it on damp skin or too close to lips/nose.

Also, once you start using Retin-A, you need to stop waxing of eyebrows and other facial hair. The skin will become more tender and will rip up if you wax. You'll need to switch over to threading, tweezing or depilatories to remove facial hair & groom eyebrows.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
I started using the Micro with antibiotics. My doctor told me I need to give it some time. At least 30-60 days and even longer for complete results. I am taking it for hormonal acne and dark spots.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes it's a prescription and most insurance company's don't cover it, my doesn't. It comes in generic which runs about $58-62, but it last a long time.
Same here. I've been using the same tube for ~9 months (applied 3 -4 times a week). I am just now almost getting close to the end of the tube. Still have a month or so left before I get it refilled. A little goes a long way!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
When it comes to using Retin-A as an acne solution, it didn't work for me. The only thing that did work for me was Accutane.
yeah, nothing works for acne except accutane. they just waste a few years prescribing retin a and other garbage to make money off of you until they actually give you the cure.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:37 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
My mom and I were using at the same time. She was using a very strong dose/concentration, and I was using a weak dose/concentration. She developed what I called "furry face": her skin would slough off and peel up like super-fine wood curls. With my weaker concentration, I never had the same problem. I saw a noticeable improvement in my adult acne within about 4 weeks or so and continued to use the Retin-A until the acne disappeared completely.

(My acne was not cystic or severe. It was mostly whiteheads under the surface of my skin along my jawline, which gave my skin a "sandpaper" roughness. I had papules and a few pustules. Not horrible. Not pretty, but definitely not horrible. But I tried all sorts of things to get rid of it and Retin-A was the only thing that worked.)

Old 02-19-2012, 06:41 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
I used Retin A micro for a couple of years. I loved it. My acne had gotten worse before it got better. I only used it at night and (because I live in Fla), I had to slather the sunblock on during the day. My skin looked gorgeous. I haven't used it since my acne cleared up but I think I'll start it up again just to keep the wrinkles away.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:44 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Read about it connected with lung cancer online . . . then decide if it's worth it.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:22 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Read about it connected with lung cancer online . . . then decide if it's worth it.
The study also links cigarette smoking with higher incidences of those who developed lung problems while using Tretinoin. It's definitely worth looking into but I would explore that link a little more carefully before coming to a conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty