U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 08:20 AM

90 posts, read 297,521 times

Advertisements

The economy is dropping fast and unemployment is rising like a rocket. I think spending on just about anything that is not basic survival is the logical thing to do.

My wife was telling me how expensive it is to be beautiful now days. The money people spent during the boom years on their hair, makeup, cosmetic treatments, designer clothes, skin, and body treatments was incredible. The beauty/hair industry is a multi billion dollar enterprise. Will it need a governement bailout soon?

Anyone rapidly decreased the money they spend to be beautiful in today's economy? Has you moved from a fancy salon to Super Cuts? Or is the beauty business recession proof?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 08:25 AM

8,415 posts, read 35,875,296 times
Not spending money never created jobs.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 AM

730 posts, read 2,640,921 times
I haven't stopped spending on beauty although I have cut back on the more expensive products I usually use and have been continuously looking to replace them with less expensive drug store brands (which can be just as good in my opinion).

I'm being more careful with money for sure.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:46 AM

20,521 posts, read 26,835,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by political genius View Post
The economy is dropping fast and unemployment is rising like a rocket. I think spending on just about anything that is not basic survival is the logical thing to do.

My wife was telling me how expensive it is to be beautiful now days. The money people spent during the boom years on their hair, makeup, cosmetic treatments, designer clothes, skin, and body treatments was incredible. The beauty/hair industry is a multi billion dollar enterprise. Will it need a governement bailout soon?

Anyone rapidly decreased the money they spend to be beautiful in today's economy? Has you moved from a fancy salon to Super Cuts? Or is the beauty business recession proof?

I don't think it costs much too look good. In this economy as with any if you have the money then by all means spend. But if you don't have a lot of money or things are tight it would be foolish to spend on extras.

You don't need expensive hair cuts and makeup to look good and women "can" do their own nails. Beauty is a multi billion dollar industry because for the most part women are gullible. Just look at all the women's magazines out there. The signal to women is "you need all of this to be beautiful". What a bunch of bull. But hey it works because many women fall for fashion and fads. Maybe we should teach people especially women how to feel good and be comfortable in their own bodies without all the BS. IMO, the fashion and beauty industry sends the wrong message to women. It's like we aren't good enough or worthy without them. I feel bad for the women who believe this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Not spending money never created jobs.
We really should start manufacturing in this country again. Spending what people cannot afford may keep some jobs but it makes the people in our country broke. Our recent economy is mostly based on consumer spending when Americans have a "negative" savings rate. Not a good plan for our country.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:08 AM

8,415 posts, read 35,875,296 times
Manufacturing was moved not only for the cost cut to gain capital but to avoid the enviro regulations of more developed areas. I wonder what the enviro impact would be of bringing that back. I don't think any corp is going to trade 60 cents and hour for even a minimum wage rate job here let alone good pay.It would kill companies to do that. Outsourced work is a way a troubled company can recover but AGAIN..exploited to the 9s..... We did build this country on manufacturing and (especially knowing this as Pittsburgh's Mr. Carnegie was terrible to his workers all in the name of the dollar and philanthropy/aka ego.)

Old 12-09-2008, 09:49 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,300,241 times
I was thinking about this same thing about a day or two ago.
Even before all this more dire recession news, I remember reading something about how spas are making good in this recession. Though they are cutting prices, they are still getting a good amount of customers.
People are stressed but they feel like a good massage or facial is a good way to relax or spend money.

Soft-Price Pampering: Spas Reflect the Economy - New York Times

I was never all that extravagant with the amount of money I spend on my clothes. I have never had a massage but I plan on changing that soon. I've had one facial and I mainly get pedicures in the summer.

I recently got my hair cut at the Paul Mitchell school around here and it was only 8 dollars. You can hardly beat that anywhere else. I used to go to the Salon Professional Academy but I wasn't 100% happy with the work they did on my hair.
A coworker told me about a hair stylist at Wal-Mart who would end up charging me about 50 something dollars. I don't have 50 something dollars to throw around for a haircut.
The most I'll pay for my hair is 35-40 for my perm every month and that's it.

I think for some people, they have to budget their beauty necessities or whatnot, which is understandable.
I think when I get older and have more disposable income, I'll set money aside for a monthy massage, facial, or whatnot.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:50 AM

8,669 posts, read 20,555,494 times
When resources are limited, I guess spending on anything that isn't absolutely necessary could be considered wasteful. But that said, sometimes, certain splurges may be worth it to us. Sometimes people are more willing to cut back in other areas if they can still avail themselves of what is important to them.

And obviously, what is important to one person may not be to another.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:25 AM

3,982 posts, read 9,560,446 times
Actually, I've stepped down my spending on my hair and skin and stepped up my charitable contributions. Financially I'm doing ok--for now, who knows what could happen. But I do know that I easily spend at least $150 every 6-8 weeks on my hair and, quite frankly, I don't look that great. So I'm going to start cutting back, doing my own color and giving away the difference.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:02 AM

652 posts, read 2,481,766 times
I dont see anything wrong with it if you have the money and there is no way you'll loose it. that being said, most people think they have the money even though they still owe 100's of thousands on their home and car loans.

I have never been a big spender in this area. 1-2 a yr a pedicure and maybe a massage. $40 every 6-8 wks on haircut and wax. I also dont spend a ton of money on clothes.
If prices keep going down I may bite the bullet and get one of those laser hair removal things done and maybe buy some more clothes. I have no debt and no worries of a job loss though.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:17 PM

631 posts, read 1,716,457 times
I'm still spending on my beauty products. Haven't really cut anything out but I am bargain shopping more and comparing prices. Trying to add an extra month or so in between highlight. That sort of thing.

If you have a little disposable income then why not put it back into the economy. Times are hard but if we all hide our money under our mattress and freak out then they are going to get even worse. Spending is okay as long as you do it logically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or