Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 04:31 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times

Advertisements

the dreadlocks that i have seen on most people dont look good. i especially dont like seeing them on people who have to "texturize" them with honey and other junk to make them stick.

if your hair does not naturally lock then dont do it. having said that. they can look very good on a man or woman. again tho, if you have to dirty them up to make them lock, then just dont. it does look ver y dirty in that case. but lox and twists are nice. small ones, long ones.

if they are matted and look like a log of excrement, then YA THATS DIRTY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 04:36 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
Aren't you married??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Of course not, Artsy, I'm a hot little mama!!! Now, if only I could sneak off to some exotic paradise with Mr. Hot Pants - life would be soooooo perfect and sweeeet!

Old 12-19-2008, 11:03 PM

249 posts, read 473,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Corn rolls also are tasteless.
This is sad that you feel this way my hair is corn rowed and has thin skinny dred locks in the back. I do not like to put a perm in my hair because it causes it to break off. We black women have very few things we can do with our hair. I could go with a afro because that is the natural state of those of us with ( ethnic or nappy hair)? Should we be forced to kill our hair with chemicals that damage and causes my hair to fall out? Unfortunately, my hair is not silky and wave like the herbal essences commercial, so my options are limited.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:47 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,202 times
Dreadlocks are cool, but...

I had dreadies for 2 years. I went nuts and had them done at a salon that specialized in them. During the process, they put some chemical on my hair because it was very fine and straight. BIG MISTAKE. I didn't know it at the time. I just wanted to do something different with my appearance, and for quite some time I actually liked the way I looked for the first time ever.

In my case, I ended up not liking the locks. Very hard to get clean. Hard to find hats that fit, unless you want to wear a tam. Bicycle helmet? Forget it. After 1 1/2 years, my hair length wasn't growing down, but rather out. There is also the social stigma, and I was perpetually getting asked if I smoked/sold pot (I didn't). When I finally did some research on the history of dreadlocks, which is an Indian and Caribbean religious representation, I felt like an ass.

I combed out my dreadies. It took 37 hours spread over 5 days. I lost about 1/3 of my hair (lucky I have thick hair). I ended up with a frizzy mess and had to cut the bottom 5 inches off.

I still do miss them, but they were very heavy and restricting. My hair looks plain again now, but I feel a bit more free and don't have labels slapped on me that aren't accurate.

However, I do have a thing for guys that have dreadlocks. It's a cool look, as long as they aren't total potheads.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:10 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,267 times
Since I consider European standards of female beauty to be superior, obviously women with dreadlocks would be a major turn off for me.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:17 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
The only time I think about dreadlocks is watching the NFL. They sweat in those helmets. That HAS to smell!!! I have to wear a hard hat on some jobs (HUD), my hair smells at night.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:29 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I went to the mall today to do a little bit of last minute holiday shopping. When I finished, I went to the food court. I didn't really know what I wanted as I don't eat at restaurants much. I usually like most Japanese food, so I decided to go to this restaurant that served it. In line, I was chatting with an Asian girl in front of me about the food they served. I asked her what she liked and recommended. After I ordered, she invited me to sit with her. I could tell she was attracted to me, however, I wasn't trying to really get into anything with her. I'm moving out of state soon, so it would be pointless. I was attracted to her though. We talked for quite a while (over 45 minutes). The fact that we agreed on so many things is probably the reason why it lasted so long, even after we had long finished eating. She was actually shopping there with her father, but she finished before he did. When he finished, he came to the food court. I knew automatically that something was wrong by the look he gave me. He pulled her aside and talked to her. They got into a whispered dispute which resulted in him walking away. She came back and told me that her father asked why she was attracted to somebody who is "dirty" and doesn't wash his hair (dreadlock stereotype). I laughed, but in all honesty, it saddens me when people choose to remain ignorant of things they don't understand.

You do in fact have to wash dreadlocks. In fact, not washing them is the best way to ruin them, and you can always pick out the people who don't take care of their locks. They look bad. I always get compliments on mine.

So, to finish this incredibly long post, I just have a few questions. Have you ever rejected somebody simply because they had dreadlocks? Are they a turn off to you? Would you ever date somebody with dreadlocks?

I'm not out to flame anybody. Keep that in mind.
And I'm not out to flame you. However, dreadlocks just look terribly unkempt, frizzy and a whole lot of other things that say the wrong thing about you. Even ones that are moderately well-kept look like bird nests.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:48 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
I remember the first time I ever saw dreadlocks. It was way back in the early 80's on a raggae video on MTV - back when they still had music videos. It was a video with a bunch of black guys dressed in what looked like dark blue civil war uniforms and they had these HUGE things sticking out of their heads that looked like poop! I was a teenager then and I was like "What the hell are they wearing on their heads???!!!" I was fascinated by them, but it's not a look I would choose for myself.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Daughter says - if it is the well groomed kind, dreadlocks are fine, and can be kinda cool - - - but the nasty, frizzy, uneven, and knotty, kind that look like someone forgot to brush their hair for a couple of months (like the guy who was on American Idol) then it is gross and disgusting.

Does that help answer your question?

Old 12-20-2008, 02:16 PM

52,202 posts, read 52,636,749 times
no offense but don't dig on the dreads...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty