Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 04:42 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,311,639 times

Advertisements

Started a new job and need suits FAST. I bought two from Ann Taylor and love them, but their selection is kind of poor at the moment.
I need seperates as I am two different sizes and I want something at least a little fashionable. (I don't like Talbots)

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 04:48 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,390,574 times
Banana republic. They usu don't have a good selection in the store, so you can try on the regular size in the store and then order the petite online. Lands End has petites. Their clothes are cut a little bigger than BR. Good luck. When I had to wear tailored clothes, I always ended up getting things altered. I have a short waist, so I really have to wear petites to look nice. Boy was I happy when low-rise jeans became stylish. Finally jeans that fit I actually liek tailored shifts now. Can you get away will wool shifts, tights and heels? That might work, and there's less tailoring involved with a dress. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:00 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,336,849 times
Penney's, Dress Barn, Chadwicks, or Coldwater Creek. If you are near Saks or Nordstroms you will find higher end clothing.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:02 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,050 times
Do you have a Nordstrom nearby? When I used to wear suits, I sometimes shop there because, in addition to sometimes selling skirts & jackets separately, they had a great alterations department. On a more budget conscious scale, I liked the Le Suit label that JC Penney carried. It's great if you can find a small shop in a mall who either specializes in petites or suits. Good luck!

Old 12-31-2008, 05:08 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,311,639 times
thanks. I did go to Nordstrom but the only petites they have are not seperates...only sold as a unit. PLUS most of them sit higher on the wait and I don't like anything too above the belly button, lol! The girl did show me some seperates but they are not petite and I need them ASAP. (Like for Friday) so that won't work for me.
I didn't think about Banana...I will try that. But if they don't have the petite in store I will have to wait and make due with the 2 suits I did get at Ann Taylor.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:16 AM

496 posts, read 1,250,835 times
petite sophisticated, ann taylor and ann taylor loft (you can buy separate stuff). I am surprised to hear you say ann taylor didn't have a large selection. try a few stores of theirs. all my suits (pants and jackets) come from ann taylor. i'll be shopping for work clothes at nordstrom when I hit the jackpot. I need to be paid a whole lot more for me to consider nordstroms
ps. i buy all of my mom's work clothes at macys. she's a petite, and loves liz claiborne, alfani, le petite suit (or something like that). at macys you can always find good sales. you really don't need a whole lot of work clothes, black suit, and then keep changing the shirts/tops, same thing for brown. for warmer weather, if you wear skirts, you can get conservative skirts (one or two) and again different shirts and blouses. that way it will seem as if you have plenty. good luck

Old 01-01-2009, 08:28 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,890,481 times
KASPER at Outlet Malls; also Petite Sophisticate if you can still find it.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:46 AM

337 posts, read 826,096 times
I get mine from the The Limited. I can usually wear them right off the rack and at 5'1 that is a feat.

They usually always have the basic colors in the petite suits.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:10 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,890,688 times
Nordstrom's. The salespeople spend time with you looking at different suits. Also, like the above noter already said, they have a fantastic alterations department.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:10 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,655,899 times
If you're on a budget, The Limited is also having a BIG clearance sale right now, I almost bought a suit in there yesterday even though I don't need them for work, just in case I need one in the future. They had basic jackets that normally run almost $100 for $39 w/ 30% off! They have a lot of good basic work stuff there.

If you're willing to shell out, Nordstrom all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty