Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 02:31 AM

25 posts, read 25,411 times

Advertisements

Definately. People in Tokyo, Milan, Paris, etc. are far more fashion conscious than Americans. Many American trends start in other countries, and we catch on years later. If you looked up fashion in Tokyo, you would see that they are light years ahead of us. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 AM

49 posts, read 135,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZELLBOO View Post
Definately. People in Tokyo, Milan, Paris, etc. are far more fashion conscious than Americans. Many American trends start in other countries, and we catch on years later. If you looked up fashion in Tokyo, you would see that they are light years ahead of us. LOL
Tokyo, Milan, Paris are not Japan, Italy and France. Better go for NYC - Tokyo comparison.
Really? Tell that to Pam Anderson who started the UGGs - mania all around the world. Or wearing sweatpants in public trend that originated in the US and eventually made Italian designers to include sweatwear in their collections (Prada, Dolce&Gabbana to name a few...)

Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZELLBOO View Post
Tokyo fashion is certainly different than American fashion, but I don't know that you can call the Lolita Anime babydoll look "ahead" of anything.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:03 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times
I think there is an important class distinction in the US regarding who cares about fashion/style and those who don't. I work in a professional setting and live in the suburbs, and most women here seem to dress fairly well during the week and even on the weekends. Perhaps in a working class setting dressing well isn't important, but in my environment, it is.

And one other thing, let's remember that it doesn't take $$$ to be fashionable. A person can spend very little and still look great. It's about finding clothing that fits and matching the correct pieces together.

As a third point, it seems that there is some hostility towards people who dress well and spend money on clothes. And it seems that part of it a broader anger that the American public has toward upper middle class and upper class individuals. It's time for Americans to quit knocking people for being successful and enjoying the finer things of life. Quit being a classist douche towards rich people. I mean, I went to college, so that must make me a snob, right (Rick Santorum reference)

Old 03-20-2012, 06:46 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
I think there is an important class distinction in the US regarding who cares about fashion/style and those who don't. I work in a professional setting and live in the suburbs, and most women here seem to dress fairly well during the week and even on the weekends. Perhaps in a working class setting dressing well isn't important, but in my environment, it is.

And one other thing, let's remember that it doesn't take $$$ to be fashionable. A person can spend very little and still look great. It's about finding clothing that fits and matching the correct pieces together.

As a third point, it seems that there is some hostility towards people who dress well and spend money on clothes. And it seems that part of it a broader anger that the American public has toward upper middle class and upper class individuals. It's time for Americans to quit knocking people for being successful and enjoying the finer things of life. Quit being a classist douche towards rich people. I mean, I went to college, so that must make me a snob, right (Rick Santorum reference)
Wishful thinking but it isn't going to change and trust certain people have a "agenda" when it comes to threads such as these. I wish people would realize it has very little to do with how much money you have but how you carry yourself. Putting lipstick on a pig is not going to make it a lady and regardless of your economic status, you cannot buy class. You either have it or you don't and class or lack of is found in every tax bracket. No one should feel the need to have to apologize or walk on egg shells for how they choose to spend THEIR money.

Last edited by Shysister; 03-20-2012 at 06:55 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 09:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
This really depends on your metro area. Where I live middle to upper class people can dress really sloppy and the some working class areas have a lot of fashion plates. In a good portion of my region, middle aged men where t-shirts, sandals, and khakis.

I don't see any relationship between style and class. Maybe cost of clothing and class, but that's about it.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Others have alluded to it but what really makes my head shake is women who obviously spend a lot of time getting all made up and doing their hair before going out, and then down below put on ugly old white New Balance sneakers, old jeans or shapeless track pants, and an old ratty sweatshirt with pictures of wolves or some other tacky motif on it.
LOL!

I haven't seen anyone wear that kind of thing in a while!

I laughed at that part of the post since I'm a young man and I used to wear a sweatshirt with a picture of wolves, in my college years and even a year or two after graduation (still have it! But of course, I'm not going to go about just wearing it anywhere, though I have worn it while exercising or informally ). I'm aware it is kind of cheesy, but I liked it and even got compliments on it one time at work (luckily that was the kind of job then where they didn't care about formal dress).

Old 03-21-2012, 12:22 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vovavl View Post
Tokyo, Milan, Paris are not Japan, Italy and France. Better go for NYC - Tokyo comparison.
Really? Tell that to Pam Anderson who started the UGGs - mania all around the world. Or wearing sweatpants in public trend that originated in the US and eventually made Italian designers to include sweatwear in their collections (Prada, Dolce&Gabbana to name a few...)
Two things that should never be worn in public!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
I think American women decided to dress to win at work and that meant more conservative styles and colors. That has relaxed a bit.

There was a time, during the beginning of the modern women's movement, I think, prior to which the fashion industry pushed new extremes each year and it was, frankly, just to sell, sell, sell.

Women got sick of having their chains yanked by fashion gurus. They were making less money than men and felt obliged to spend more of it on clothing, because what was 'IN' last year was always 'OUT' this year.

It is to their credit that they started to do what men did, buy several good, conservative pieces that worked with each other, and refuse to get yanked about by the fashion industries need for cash.

I think it is to the credit of the American woman that she looks presentable, neat, and comfortable. Most are not trying to 'one up' their fellow females in style. The one exception to this might be the rather young (or not so) who are trying to bag a male.

We used to be told that the European woman had a very small wardrobe, but she bought more expensive, choice, pieces that fit in with a lot of other parts of her clothing collection.

Maybe our women are fatter? I think not, though. Obesity is also plaguing Europe, I hear.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:58 AM

7 posts, read 10,692 times
Yeah, I do agree with everyone who says most Americans don't care how they look outside their work cloths. Here in Denver, most folk either dress relaxed, wanna be "Cali-Like" = The typical short shorts, tank tops, and flip flops. It do got some of trendy parts. In larger cities like Chi-Town and L.A fashion is more cared about.

To everyone who say that fashion is for people who want to feel better about them selves... Well thanks for realizing the obvious. Having a style that looks good gives you a confidence boost. "Style is in the eye of the beholder" is true but that doesnt give you a excuse to be a scrub. My point is, Fashion helps express yourself, doesnt mean you have to be a total fanatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty