Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times

Advertisements

I found this article interesting and informative.

The 6 Biggest Skin-Care Mistakes on Yahoo! Health

Old 12-31-2008, 06:33 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,916 times
good article

Old 12-31-2008, 09:50 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
No facials..umm..I really don't agree with this at all. Toxic product advice...Blaming natural oils for clogging the skin...Its just not true. reminds me of how they blamed lavender for giving boys breasts and said nothing of the estrogen base goo it was in.

Not to mention now that they are questioning the value of sunscreen and its killing coral reefs..

meh...

Sorry to poo poo on it..But some of this stuff just is not true.
Especially the coconut thing...IF that was true every afre amer. person that used products geared for their hair would be a total pizza face. There is coconut in so much of that stuff.
And just personal experience coconut and aloe are the only things that DON'T break me out. I can get away with olive oil lately because its been so dry.

And the bar soap thing makes me laugh because everyone freaks out about it. I use bar soap quite a bit. Some are better than others. I think that rule should be revised as don't use deodorant bar soap.

Sounds like dove & proctor and gamble paid her to write this...seriously...

Past the age of 30...If I put ret. A on my face it...lol..well wait..where...Oh yeh..nowhere because there is nothing to put it on. Guess it must be that magic bar soap I have been using all these years.
LOL

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I think everyone just needs to try stuff because to have blanket rules for so many different types of skin just doesn't make any sense at all.

Pet peeving...YIPS!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:19 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,130 times
Yeah, I wasn't feeling this article either. I will NOT be putting any derivative of Retin-A on my face. I have no wrinkles, and when they happen, they will happen. It's called aging. I'm ok with it. As an African American woman, I see no need to use sunscreen every single day. I rarely tan, I've never burned, and I'm rarely in the sun long enough to need it. While the overall advice in this article may be helpful to some, it's completely useless to others.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:21 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
I thought so too. People so often forget about or think they don't need sunscreen. And regualr bath soap on the face??? Nevah!!
I like that the article indicates drug store brand products are as good as most or any other to use.
Younger women should be pro-active and don't wait until the wrinkles set in.
Some of what was in the article is, I suppose, common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
good article

Old 01-03-2009, 03:51 PM

985 posts, read 2,601,051 times
I agree with the article but I think they should have added a couple of things, like have a balanced diet, keep your hands and hair off your face, don't make a lot of unnecessary facial movements, keep stress levels to a minimum, etc . I think the only tip in that article that really makes a measurable difference is use sunscreen, though it's better to just stay out of the sun as much as possible. Sunscreen isn't that effective, IMHO.

Kaye

Old 01-04-2009, 11:44 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Nice article! I recently started using coconut oil on my face because I have such dry skin in the winter and I started taking fish oil at the same time. I started breaking out a little and was blaming the fish oil! I typically do not break out. Now, I'll lay off the coconut and see if it makes a difference.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:13 AM

536 posts, read 2,154,503 times
I stopped using facial cleansers and only use either Burt's Bees or Aveeno Clear Complexion bar soap with a soft scrubbing pad. I have no acne and less oily skin. I don't use toners anymore either, but sometimes use witch hazel if I need to. Also, drink plenty of water!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:07 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
The article is kinda confusing. No bar soap? Really? Even bar soap made with olive oil? Most people don't need to use sunscreen every day, especially when sunscreen often irritates the skin.

I will agree with spending too much on skin care, though. I already spend very little, and half the crap I use I don't really need. *sigh*

Old 01-19-2009, 08:28 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
I don't too much worry about sunscreen since I'm black. I know black people need sunscreen but I only worry about it when I'm going swimming in the summer time.
As far as facials...very interesting. My girlfriend and I are going to the spa Saturday and I planned on getting a facial.

I don't spend a lot on skin care products. I would actually like to spend more. If it's a good product and it's not terribly expensive, I'll buy it. Right now I'm using Proactiv for my acne but I don't think I'll continue. I mostly have acne scars and most products on the market don't deal with that. I don't break out as much as I used to, which is nice. I started breaking out in 4th grade so...I'll be glad when my face is done breaking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty