Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 02:46 PM

784 posts, read 2,264,779 times

Advertisements

I saw a picture of Katie Holmes in a magazine the other day and she was wearing her jeans rolled tight at the bottom. I am 34 and I remember going through that long style faze in junior high and high school. She seems to young to have dressed that way but even so, I must admit, I still laughed my asz off.

I remember it seemed like everyone rolled their jeans between 1987 and 1992 even 1993. When I look back at those years I say, why? I must admit I did it then, but I would never do it again even if it came back. I grew up in upstate NY and everyone did this, guys and girls. It was a fad that lasted quite a long time. However, I think why did we do this for so long. If someone had big shoes or big feet it only enhanced that not so good looking feature.

Did any of you from your walk of life do this or was it just a NY thing?
If so, did you like it, would you do it again? Do you think it was just another bad fad style in the eighties and nineties like I do? For anyone under 30, you might not remember what I am talking about and might be like what....But for those who do remember what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 04:05 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,047 times
I noticed people start to do this around here, both guys and girls. I don't find it rediculous. In fact, it looks kind of cool.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:17 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,152 times
Yeah. It was called "pegged pants" here where I live in CA. It was more associated with the surfers doing it. 1986-90 is when I remember it being at it's peak.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:38 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
I was in college 87-91 and it was big in NJ. We would wear big men's jeans and roll the bottoms tight because the wide bottoms weren't cool yet. I worked in the Gap those years, and all our customers did it too.

Does anyone remember in the mid-80's (84-86) that people would tuck the bottoms of their jeans into their socks? Or was that a south Jersey thing? I was still in high school then and all the girls seemed to do it.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:40 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,499,932 times
Late 70's early 80's in NJ we had very titght straight leg jeans that were so tight it was impossible to roll them up.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:22 PM

784 posts, read 2,264,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I was in college 87-91 and it was big in NJ. We would wear big men's jeans and roll the bottoms tight because the wide bottoms weren't cool yet. I worked in the Gap those years, and all our customers did it too.

Does anyone remember in the mid-80's (84-86) that people would tuck the bottoms of their jeans into their socks? Or was that a south Jersey thing? I was still in high school then and all the girls seemed to do it.

Yeah, I remember that for a short while, god Im glad that really didnt take off that much, that was not a good look back then. Certainly didn't take off to the degree of the peg pants. Remember spandex---ouch that was torture to look at some people wearing them. Forget about hiding anything with spandex on. Can you imagine kids today wearing spandex like they did at times in the eighties, with obesity rates that we have? When I was in school there was one (the token fat kid) fat kid in class. Today about a third are overweight, for that reason alone, I dont think we'll be seeing any spandex comeback...Thang god for that. How about those ugly ciggarette shirts in the eighties. Every white trash man or women owned at least a few. They would come with a carton of ciggarettes. You had your camel, Newport, Marlboro, etc. You will find them on old reruns of cops.do For that matter how about jean jackets back in the eighties? I prefered Levi's but definately everyone owned at least one. Maybe its nostalgic. How about those little white keds every girl in America had about a dozen pairs of? I didn't mind them. .....Ahhh, the eighties, what a bad time for fashion..We were all fashion victimssssss... Then Maddonna came along and girls got a little bit sexier and trashier...Thank you Maddonna.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:25 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I

Girls tucking their pants and rolling their pants was all happening at the same time here in CA.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:41 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,231 times
People are tight rolling their pants????? Lord help us all..... I thought we were in trouble when I was in Target and saw the same layered mini I wore in fifth grade with lace bottomed leggins..... but now we are supposed to tight roll our pants? I am throwing in the towel..... Might as well wear MOM PANTS for all I care at this point..... holy cow.... fashion is being flushed down the toilet.....

Old 01-03-2009, 01:12 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,845,919 times
I'm from New England and I remember the "cool kids" doing that in the late 80s and early 90s, when I was in middle and high school. I liked the look of it and tried to imitate it but it didn't look right on me. I wouldn't mind doing it again if it were in style. I can't imagine it will be back as much as it was!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
It just makes me think of Dixie Midnight Runners and The Go-Gos. I think its cute. Pegged...not cute.

K.H. is not a spring chicken anymore. Shes about your age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty