Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 04:25 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,614 times

Advertisements

we're taking our four year olds for the first time in the poconos, PA for a few days. we will probably do some tubbing, and/or try to get them some skiing lessons.
so, i am getting a lil antsy as to what to bring for their wardrobe. i'll list what i have and then please add to the list:
snow pants (one each). do i need more?
winter jacket (waterproof, windproof all that)
fleece sweaters and turtlenecks. scarf, gloves, hat. and then several pairs of fleece, cotton pants.
so i usually overpack, i realize that. we will have washer/dryer during our stay so i don't need to bring a whole lot. but am i missing something?
another question: snowpants... since i overdress my kids i usually put a pair of tights under, and good to go when we're playing in your backyard in the snow. but is this enough for them to stay warm in the mountains?
actually, just tell me what you take for your kids.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 05:18 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
Probably 2 prs. snowpants each (they WILL get wet and need to dry), I would also pack 2 pr. of gloves/mittens for each child (ditto - they WILL get wet and you can't dry everything in a dryer). I assume you just forgot to list boots?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:25 PM

yes, i do have two pairs of snow boots. oh my, really, two snow pants? i have 3 pairs, i guess i need one more. thanks flamingo

Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
You've obviously never experienced "doing" snow. When they come in - pants will be ice/snow encrusted - be prepared to practically strip the kids at the door. Lay down lots of newspaper. Check out Freecycle for free if you can find any. Have them some warm flannel pj's and slippers as well as robes - they'll probably be so excited they won't feel cold but the blue lips are a give-way

Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 PM

thanks so much flamingo. i am trying to keep my excitement up but boy do i need to get going with shopping. you're right about being totally inexperienced. we did two years in south FL, and barely a year and a half in MD (when it snowed we stayed indoors).

Old 01-09-2009, 01:23 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,748 times
As far as what to wear under the snowpants... I would probably bring something a little warmer than tights for under them; Some lightweight long underwear would be a good idea. Also, do you have mitten/hat clips?? These are essential, otherwise you may start out with 2 pairs of mittens and end up with 0 pairs. Also, make sure you bring sunscreen for them! Even if it's cold the sun can be strong! Long socks are a good idea too, long wool socks are even better... if they ski they need to be long enough to go up all the way and wool won't get so soggy.

(btw... I don't have kids, I used to work in a ski-type shop, that's where my info comes from!)

Have Fun!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,144,860 times
Snow pants don't take the place of regular pants. I would do long johns or tights, sweatpants, 2 pair of heavy socks & the snowpants & snow boots.

Feet are one of the first things to get cold.

I like the masks that come from the neck to the nose too. & make sure the gloves are the water proof kind. Wool gloves will get wet in the snow.

Have a great time! Oh & don't forget chapstick with the sunblock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty