U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2009, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
321 posts, read 701,505 times
Reputation: 272

Advertisements

Does anybody have any proven ideas of how to get rid of premature wrinkles? I think that my wrinkles are hereditary as my sister has the same problem to a lesser extent. Our dad had wrinkles at a young age too.

I know that I could use Botox around my mouth and on my forehead, but they won't inject it underneath my eyes which is where they frustrate me the most. It makes me not want to smile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 PM
 
8,415 posts, read 35,890,537 times
Reputation: 6295
Did you always live in that area/climate?
Have you ever had chemical peels or used an acidic face wash to exfoliate?
Smoke?
Moisturizer?
Take a vitamin or fish oil?
Get enough protein in your diet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 02:00 PM
 
1,788 posts, read 4,317,504 times
Reputation: 1246
Do you tan, or did you neglect to use sunscreen as a child/teenager? If you didn't protect your skin versus the sun, you've probably caused the damage yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 03:11 PM
 
4,628 posts, read 9,412,059 times
Reputation: 4244
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
Does anybody have any proven ideas of how to get rid of premature wrinkles? I think that my wrinkles are hereditary as my sister has the same problem to a lesser extent. Our dad had wrinkles at a young age too.
Nothing will get rid of wrinkles permanently, but moisturizing can certainly help minimize them to a great extent, as can all of this:

Use moisturizer. Every day, without fail. Better you should use olive oil than a cheap (cheaply made, not inexpensive) one from a department store.

Drink a lot of clean water - no additives like coloring, vitamins, etc. Eat a lot of fresh vegetables. Use protection from the sun such as hats, caps and sun block. Exercise daily. Do not smoke. Do not drink to excess.

And use a good skin cleanser, specifically made for facial skin (it is quite different than the rest of the skin on our bodies). Get a recommendation from a doctor or a dermatologist for a product specifically made for your skin type. Be gentle with your skin, no harsh scrubbing.

This is all tried and true stuff, very well-researched, etc. There's really not any fast route to take to better skin. You are so young that I think whatever damage you've cause to yourself, if any, can be rectified. Drink water!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Some place very cold
5,500 posts, read 20,379,172 times
Reputation: 4233
I would stay out of the sun and always wear sunscreen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 06:30 PM
 
Location: ATL suburb
1,366 posts, read 3,744,587 times
Reputation: 1553
Laser treatment and microderm abrasion are the only things that will provide a noticable difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 07:16 PM
 
809 posts, read 2,627,384 times
Reputation: 491
I use at home acid peels for mine........ glycolic acid is the best (there's lactic acid and salycilic acid, but those two are for other things like acne...).....

The thing is with doing it yourself you have to be REALLY careful and not order a strength that is too strong. I bought mine on amazon and have been VERY careful.....

I bought a solution of 35% Glycolic acid and 25% lactic acid (I also bought a pH balancer to use AFTER I do the peel).....

I typically do the peel after I shower since my face is nice and moist. I'll swipe it on with a cotton ball as fast as I can all over my face (swipe it onto the LESS sensitive areas FIRST and then the MOST sensitive areas last)..... leave it on for one to two minutes and rinse THOROUGHLY. It will feel either itchy or burning while it's on. That's NORMAL. (If it starts to burn TOOOO much rinse right away)

After I pat my face dry I swipe the pH balancer on to help calm down my skin.

Over the next week or two I see my skin looking more vibrant and the wrinkles are less noticeable. I used the peel once a week for two weeks and now I only use it once or twice a month.

I would advise going to a doctor who does acid peels FIRST so you can see how they do it and what they do it with and everything (either that or RESEARCH LIKE CRAZY and read about how to do it and stuff. Read about the three different types of acids and which one would be the best. Glycolic is good for wrinkles, lactic is good to help your skin produce it's own "moisture" and salicylic is good for acneic skin).......

I HAVE done my lower eyelids and upper eyelids. I WAS VERY VERY VERY VERY careful because if you get the peel in your eyes you could ruin ur eyesight. I only left it on for a minute or less since the eyelids are so sensitive and are very thin.

If you type "glycolic acid" into amazon it'll pull up all kinds of different strengths. Buy from either Skin Laboratory or Cellbone..... either one are very good (I got my glycolic/lactic acid from skin laboratory and the pH balancer from Cellbone.... I got a little sample of glycolic acid from Cellbone when I ordered the pH balancer)........

I'd say don't order a strength OVER 50% as that is getting to be TOOOO strong to do it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 12:24 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
321 posts, read 701,505 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
I use at home acid peels for mine........ glycolic acid is the best (there's lactic acid and salycilic acid, but those two are for other things like acne...).....

The thing is with doing it yourself you have to be REALLY careful and not order a strength that is too strong. I bought mine on amazon and have been VERY careful.....

I bought a solution of 35% Glycolic acid and 25% lactic acid (I also bought a pH balancer to use AFTER I do the peel).....

I typically do the peel after I shower since my face is nice and moist. I'll swipe it on with a cotton ball as fast as I can all over my face (swipe it onto the LESS sensitive areas FIRST and then the MOST sensitive areas last)..... leave it on for one to two minutes and rinse THOROUGHLY. It will feel either itchy or burning while it's on. That's NORMAL. (If it starts to burn TOOOO much rinse right away)

After I pat my face dry I swipe the pH balancer on to help calm down my skin.

Over the next week or two I see my skin looking more vibrant and the wrinkles are less noticeable. I used the peel once a week for two weeks and now I only use it once or twice a month.

I would advise going to a doctor who does acid peels FIRST so you can see how they do it and what they do it with and everything (either that or RESEARCH LIKE CRAZY and read about how to do it and stuff. Read about the three different types of acids and which one would be the best. Glycolic is good for wrinkles, lactic is good to help your skin produce it's own "moisture" and salicylic is good for acneic skin).......

I HAVE done my lower eyelids and upper eyelids. I WAS VERY VERY VERY VERY careful because if you get the peel in your eyes you could ruin ur eyesight. I only left it on for a minute or less since the eyelids are so sensitive and are very thin.

If you type "glycolic acid" into amazon it'll pull up all kinds of different strengths. Buy from either Skin Laboratory or Cellbone..... either one are very good (I got my glycolic/lactic acid from skin laboratory and the pH balancer from Cellbone.... I got a little sample of glycolic acid from Cellbone when I ordered the pH balancer)........

I'd say don't order a strength OVER 50% as that is getting to be TOOOO strong to do it yourself.
Thank you. I'm going to try this.

Thanks to all of you.. I am very fair complected so I know that I'm more prone to sun damage.. As a child, I had some bad sunburns but have been much more careful for the last 14 years (I've had a few sunburns due to carelessness, but very very rarely). I smoke socially but that is very rare as well.. but I do live in Las Vegas so it's hard to avoid secondhand smoke. I moisturize every time I wash my face. Does anybody have any recommendations of a good moisturizer?

This all seems like really good advice.. much of which I have never been given. Keep it coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 01:15 AM
 
Location: CA
3,469 posts, read 7,270,935 times
Reputation: 4795
I second glycolic acid, even if just in a moisturizer or occasional exfoliating scrub. Retin-a is good for wrinkles too; if you don't want a prescription, then look for a over-the-counter retinol. I've heard Green Cream is a good OTC retinol.
Remember sunscreen everyday, and reapply if you're in the sun a lot. Don't do tanning beds either.....just as bad as the sun for wrinkles.
And even occasional smoking will cause lines. I'm not surprised you're getting lines young & you smoke sometimes....probably not what you want to hear...

My favorite moisturizers are from drugstores & totally affordable...I like lac-hydrin five (also with an AHA, lactic acid), CeraVe (lighter weight for day), and Eucerin cream (thick & good for night). None of those make me break out, and I am prone to breakouts. Some more pricey ones that get good reviews are Philosophy Hope in a Jar and Dermalogica .

I am in my mid 20s and people think I am more like 18, but it is probably mostly genetics. I do use retin-a and moistuize well, and I never smoke or tan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 02:18 PM
 
740 posts, read 1,864,286 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
Thank you. I'm going to try this.

Thanks to all of you.. I am very fair complected so I know that I'm more prone to sun damage.. As a child, I had some bad sunburns but have been much more careful for the last 14 years (I've had a few sunburns due to carelessness, but very very rarely). I smoke socially but that is very rare as well.. but I do live in Las Vegas so it's hard to avoid secondhand smoke. I moisturize every time I wash my face. Does anybody have any recommendations of a good moisturizer?

This all seems like really good advice.. much of which I have never been given. Keep it coming!
My brother moved out to LV about 18 years ago from Missouri. I would say that I could see a dramatic difference in his skin within the first two years. Looked like he had aged 10 - 15 years (don't tell him I said that ). I think that it is the climate that you are in. When I started noticing wrinkles a couple of years ago, I tried, and loved Arbonne night creme. BUT.. after spending the consultants fee to get that a couple of times I decided that was too much money to be waisting on me and went looking elsewhere. I now use Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion on my face.. and sometimes the Intensive hand cream at night. That works great, you can buy it anywhere, and it is inexpensive. Besides that you get a large bottle and you can use it on the rest of your body. It moisturized my face so well that I had to stop using it so frequently.... it was holding in too much moisture!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top