Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,959,906 times

Advertisements

I have a khaki signature Coach Bleecker small duffle, the one with the dog leash strap that converts to cross body length. The leather on it is a pretty shade of blue--or was. I've only had this bag for about 2 years or a little less and the top side of the leather strap is discolored yellowish. I wouldn't mind so much if it were uniform but it's mainly just the strap and the underside of it still shows the pretty original blue.

I can't carry this thing like this. Is there any way to clean it without ruining the leather? It's far too nice a bag to not be able to use it b'c of the discoloration. The bag itself is so well made it would probably last another 10 years--at least. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:34 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,401,498 times
I would take it back to the coach store and ask. I had a problem once and they replaced it

Old 01-24-2009, 09:55 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,185,727 times
Have you ever had it professionally cleaned?

Find a dry cleaner in your area that does leather. They will send it out for a re-dye and cleaning.

You have to re-dye leather that ages when it comes to colors. Green is a really bad color for sticking too it seems.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:33 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Thanks for the input. I did take it to the store but they said it's been too long since I bought it. They said to take it to a cleaner at your own risk, some ruin them even worse. How do I choose a good one? I mean what do I look for or ask?

I was hoping someone can tell me if they had theirs fixed successfully and how. I sure hate to go trial and error on this. I'll say one thing, no more expensive bags for me.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:40 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,148,153 times
Coach exchanges everything, especially if only 2 years old. Take it to a valid Coach store and get the corporate office/address. It will have to be "Shipped" back there, to the manufacturer.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Coach exchanges everything, especially if only 2 years old. Take it to a valid Coach store and get the corporate office/address. It will have to be "Shipped" back there, to the manufacturer.

Like I said, I already did that. They said it's too old and this style has also been discontinued. Maybe I'm wrong about when I got it, I dunno. Could've been longer I guess. Doesn't seem like more than two years to me tho'.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Well you could take it to a place where they repair shoes and do leather work. They could make you a new one with the old hardware. I found my leather cleaners by asking people on the street in leather or suede where they had them cleaned. I looked for even color and texture on the coat and the state of the threading,leatherwear (creasing ect) to try to guess if it was brand new or had been cleaned a couple times.

They alwasy say "clean at your own risk" with everything. Chemicals in dyes dont always behave but if you are not going to use it as is..why not? Ya know?

I never used this but it looked interesting:
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Leather Restoration and Repair

It could just be yellow because it needs cleaned and if you want to try that just get some mild non-drying, non scented, not deodorant soap (saddle soap)and lather up a a soft wet cloth and rub in circles to clean (test spot 1st before whole thing- 24 hour wait).Wipe suds off clean with a damp rag. (not wet) I think this is drying so if you cant find a good conditioner I wouldnt go the soap route unless you get the saddle soap.

They also make kits. But I have used mineral oil on car seats and that work really well. I would just make sure you really rub it in and let it set a few days and test with tissue before wearing it. I buffed them with a a shammy thing to rub it in.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll start a search for a good leather cleaner and if that doesn't work and there's anything left of my bag I'll try the do-it-yourself way. Right, I can't use it as it is so what have I got to lose.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:16 PM

I think its a good idea to always get an extra strap or two when you buy something like that with a custom type color. For what you spend on the things they should GIVE you one with it for crying out loud.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:27 PM

It's not the kind of strap you can replace, unfortunately. But it's also the leather trim on the bag, not just the strap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty