Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 08:53 AM

248 posts, read 340,981 times

Advertisements

You're a hoarder and you're addicted to the extremely temporary high you get from a bargain or acquisition. Figure out what's REALLY missing in your life and try to focus more on that. It sure as hell isn't a new (used) pair of shoes or another dress you're probably never going to wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 08:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
Well I enjoy thrift shops too, and what I have done is I made a rule, If I buy something, something else has to go. I would would also limit myself to how much $$ I would take in with me. $20 was the limit (I know not much, but more than enough for me personally). As for how often, well I guess that would depend, I go about 1 every two weeks now (use to be almost daily-but not to buy. My $20 had to last me at least a week.)

Guess what I am suggesting is give yourself rules, and boundaries.
This is good advice. When you bring something into your closet, and the closet is full, you have to pull something out and get rid of it to make room. I've started doing that more, myself. I've been weeding things that I haven't worn in awhile.

Whether you buy from a thrift store, or a department store, you can easily buy too many things. As the poster above suggests, you need to have boundaries. Otherwise you end up living with a hoard.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:04 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalfire View Post
You're a hoarder and you're addicted to the extremely temporary high you get from a bargain or acquisition. Figure out what's REALLY missing in your life and try to focus more on that. It sure as hell isn't a new (used) pair of shoes or another dress you're probably never going to wear.

Having family members with hoarding tendencies, I have noticed that thrift stores are more danger zone than regular stores.

It's hard to pass up a handbag or jacket that you know retailed for $250 when it's $2 at a thrift even if you don't need it - sometimes, they intend to resell it on EBay but that never actually happens...

My hoarding family members seem to get ansy when they can't get to the thrift wondering what "treasures" they might be missing.

The treasure hunting aspect seems to give them a thrill

If you don't but something then and there , it's gone forever drives hasty decisions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty