Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:16 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
I strongly recommend that you try professional laser hair removal. It actually works best on thick, dark hair. Best thing ever invented! I and several of my friends have done it on various body parts, and we're all really happy with the results.
I want to do that for my legs, but I hear it hurts like hell, and you have to do it over and over 10 sessions. And it's like $900 per session. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 08:45 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Just an experience update on this. I have had my underarms lasered multiple times over the years. It def knocks the hair back and I'm happy I did it, but it does seem to get thicker again over time. Still there is less than what I started with for sure. I will probably go back for a treatment again soon. its more expensive that way here. Buying a package is better.

Had super hairy legs below the knee. Got them lasered 5 or 6 times? That has really helped. I have lots of darkish but finer hairs above the knees, especially the back of the thighs. Didn't help with that so much.

Had the crap lasered out of my bikini line which was thick dark and halfway to my knees. Super glad I did that, worked really well.

Have had the face lasered 5 or 6 times. Doesn't seem to help as much. Yes, some. But much of the hair is finer though darkish. Then there are the random big black ones, a fair few at different times, because different hair follicles are growing at different times. Laser seems an expensive overkill for these 5sies, 6sies at a time. Electroalysis, if you can find someone good and reasonable seems a better option but my single business technician is gone.

I'm thinking of having my arms done more after summer/lose color. I get a few dark nasties on the back of my uper arm I tend to forget about. Also my lower arms get long. I saw an older woman at the beach once with hair so long below her elbow that it curved out in a big curl. It was soft and light colored but still it was long! And she was sort of petting one arm abstractedly which creeped me out. Now I'm self conscious about mine but still forget to trim it sometimes.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:59 PM

15 posts, read 21,274 times
I've done laser hair removal on arms/legs/bikini/chin/lip/underarms. Only place where it really hurts is the upper lip. Best invention ever!

Old 06-16-2017, 02:37 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Nope... my body hair is pretty sparse.. thank goodness!

Old 06-17-2017, 07:49 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
I have a good amount of hair as well

It's not dark brown but I'm very fair skinned and it does show up quite well on me.

I personally don't worry about the hair on my arms; I've found that removing it makes it grow back thicker (and longer!) so I leave it alone.

I generally don't bother with the hair on my legs as I don't wear shorts/skirts but if I do, I use a depilatory like Nair since it's quick and I can put it on before I jump in the shower. Razors give me bumps, no matter how good they are.

So to make it short and sweet the only hair I worry about is the stuff on my head and rarely the stuff on my legs if I gotta wear a skirt/dress.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:35 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I have a good amount of hair as well

It's not dark brown but I'm very fair skinned and it does show up quite well on me.

I personally don't worry about the hair on my arms; I've found that removing it makes it grow back thicker (and longer!) so I leave it alone.

I generally don't bother with the hair on my legs as I don't wear shorts/skirts but if I do, I use a depilatory like Nair since it's quick and I can put it on before I jump in the shower. Razors give me bumps, no matter how good they are.

So to make it short and sweet the only hair I worry about is the stuff on my head and rarely the stuff on my legs if I gotta wear a skirt/dress.
I brought up this topic in a newer post, but it is something that crosses my mind. I am a 53 year old man who has a career in outside sales, where first impressions mean a lot. I try very hard not to judge a woman based on her amount of facial hair. But, when a woman comes to me looking like Uncle Sam or Abraham Lincoln, my eyes tend to focus on the beard initially, until I make a strong attempt to look at other features of her face (eyes, smile). It's even worse if the woman is manly looking or not really attractive in the first place. When I was in my 20s, I worked at a State agency for a 60-ish woman Director who had several long hairs growing out of a mole on the bottom of her face. Otherwise, the woman was attractive and most likely a "knockout" when she was in her younger years. She carried herself that way too. Since I was in the habit of plucking hairs that came from moles in my face, I wondered to myself why she didn't also??? Didn't anybody close to her tell her? Did she just not care? Seemed like such a simple thing to do, especially when you are in the public eye where first impressions and focal points of a new face are important when communicating with that person for the first time.
Just so you know, I also judge men by the amount of facial hair based on their profession. I don't like to see kitchen staff (for example) with long beards. If you're going to work in that line of work, I think that the worker should appear clean shaven and tidy.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:41 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Lately, within the last couple of months, I've been using Nair on my legs, bikini area, and underarms. (I've even very carefully used it on my eyebrows.)

I know the bikini area is quite sensitive. I feel for the women who use razors down their.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:47 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
This was the feature of The Doctors this past Friday. It is a well understood medical issue that has an overriding psychological effect. It is fixable. See an endocrinologist.
Young Woman Grows A Beard; Will Another Baby Risk Kim K

Old 07-08-2017, 03:42 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
This was the feature of The Doctors this past Friday. It is a well understood medical issue that has an overriding psychological effect. It is fixable. See an endocrinologist.
Young Woman Grows A Beard; Will Another Baby Risk Kim K
I once saw a woman with a 5 o'clock shadow.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:18 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I am Spanish, in my 60s now. As a child and younger woman, I had a good bit of dark body hair. However, by the time I was in my 30s, the hair on my arms turned blond. I still had a lady "stache" and dark leg hair, however.

After menopause, all the hair growth slowed. Hair on arms is silver now, and I only need to shave legs and underarms once per week. Lady "stache" is also mostly silver and I used to pluck, but that caused irritation so I actually just trim the hairs back as far as possible.

I really don't like to see women get too hung up over having body hair - it's normal! Celebrate it while you have it, because when you get older, it starts to disappear. Of course, in some ways it's a good thing..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty