Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:47 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times

Advertisements

My son dresses like he stepped out of GQ. I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 05:24 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Depends on the kid and what group he meshes with...pretty generic look for most of the boys my son hangs with and who I see is loose fitting (not the real gangsta baggy but not emo tight) jeans, t-shirts with an athletic connotation of some kind, hoodie and athletic shoes. My son would wear shorts every day if he could - and he often does. This seems to be pretty standard for the athlete/preppy look. Real baggy clothes are still in for certain groups and the "emo" look (tighter fitting jeans, longer hair in the front etc) seems to be more popular in the theater group or the anime club. I agree with the poster that said don't spend much until you see what goes in your school...

Old 02-24-2009, 05:24 PM

2,201 posts, read 3,359,496 times
My son (14) and his friends all wear jeans (dark, light, and black denim), t-shirts, hoodies and tennis shoes. Jeans are comfy (loose without being clownish and low on the waist). When it's warm they wear longish loose jean shorts (skimming below the knee) and what I call basketball shorts.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:30 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,976 times
baggy clothing that they can easily hide things in, like knives and guns.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:15 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
baggy clothing that they can easily hide things in, like knives and guns.
Well then, if you think all youngsters are hiding guns and knives on them (), I'm gonna start wearing baggy clothes so I can hide my baseball bat and a box of ding dongs!

Old 02-25-2009, 01:46 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,946 times
I think it is mostly going to depend on his personality. I can't imagine he's going to be made fun of for what he wears to school.

I was what most people considered preppy. Actually, I'm still preppy, lol.

Basically, pretty much every guy has jeans. It's going to be up to him to determine what fit he likes the best. Boot cut jeans tend to be the most popular these days. Dark jeans are more stylish and versatile, but it's always good to have a lighter pair or two. A lot of kids like the distressing and what not that you find at Abercrombie or American Eagle. I personally hate the image that Abercrombie puts forth, but some people like spending $100 on jeans with holes in them. I'd take that hundred and get a pair of APC New Standards (well to be honest, they cost $150) or you could take that hundred and get two pair from the Gap.

I'm pretty sure he knows what an Oxford is. He should definitely have one in blue and white. It's very good shirt to have in any wardrobe.

Some tshirts in various colors. Some khakis and some polo shirts and you have the perfect teenager wardrobe.

Visit the various websites and look at some of their ideas.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,862 times
Unhappy Wear Jeans Really Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I also have a 14 year old son who is a freshman. He typically wears jeans (faded, not faded, black, brown), T-shirts, hoodies and shoes. He primarily likes Volcom clothing (he should be a spokesmodel for the company!). We usually shop at Tilly's or any skateboard shop like Revolution or Industry Ride Shops. He likes Etnies or DC shoes. Oh, and the kids like to wear their jeans really low - with the tops of their boxers showing. I think it's a kid thing because I see all the kids doing it, but never see adults doing it.
I don't think the kids know what it mans to wear their pants low......In a male prision if you wanted to advertise you would have sex with another male inmate you wor your pants low and showed your boxers - this was an inviation for sex.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
The "so low my butt shows" looks is really over. Only late comers and people who don't know better are still doing that. My son graduated from high school last year and is just now taking an interest in what he wears. Up until now he's been happy for me to provide him with the basics; jeans/tee's/hoodies, for him to wear. This year he wants a leather bomber jacket for christmas and has traded most of his character tee's for more stylish designs. Now he wants to go shoe shopping.

If your high school is the same as ours most kids will follow the "anything goes" fashion. Some people have fun doing a completely different looks/styles from time to time...just for kicks.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Jeans/tees/hoodies with the teen boys I work with. Athletic wear.

Baggy/low hanging pants are not up to dress code standard, so they don't get worn.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
My brother (17, junior in HS) dresses like a fairly typical California skater/surfer bum. Fitted jeans, fitted tshirts (not super tight, but definitely not baggy) and those shoes that look a bit like a mocassin/slipper. He's a beach bum and has girls calling him all the time so he must be doing something right

I dressed like a pinup from the 50s when I was in HS and my sister was a depressing goth chick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty